The Preserved Terriers - A Status Thread

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

This is a thread to hold information relating to the current status of the ten preserved Terriers.

They are (if I remember correctly):

(40 - Brighton) - W11, Newport

(46 - Newington) - W8, Freshwater

50 - Whitechapel

54 - Waddon

55 - Stepney

62 - Martello

(70 - Poplar) - No 3, Bodiam

72 - Fenchurch

78 - Knowle

82 - Boxhill

I will fill in current locations as and when I get hold of the information (I don't trust Wikipedia for everything).

This is a thread to hold information relating to the current status of the ten preserved Terriers.

They are (if I remember correctly):

(40 - Brighton) - W11, Newport - Isle Of Wight, operational

(46 - Newington) - W8, Freshwater - Isle Of Wight, operational

50 - Whitechapel - Spa Valley, under overhaul

54 - Waddon - Exporail, on display

55 - Stepney - Bluebell, awaiting overhaul

62 - Martello - Bressingham, under overhaul

(70 - Poplar) - No 3, Bodiam, Kent & East Sussex, operational (?)

72 - Fenchurch - Bluebell, awaiting overhaul

78 - Knowle, Kent & East Sussex, operational (?)

82 - Boxhill - NRM, on display

I will fill in current locations as and when I get hold of the information (I don't trust Wikipedia for everything).

To the best of my knowledge that's where they are at the moment. I believe that one of the Kent & East Sussex Railway Terriers (Bodiam?) has been/will be withdrawn this year

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wow, I didn't realise 662 had been out of service that long. I drove Martello on the Lavender Line in Autumn that year, so it must have been just before being taken away for what appears to have been a heavy overhaul.

But I'm very glad to see 'him' running well post-6714-0-93131300-1470832788.gif

Edited by Ian J.

• 1 year later...

*Blows dust off thread*

Newport & Freshwater will be taking part in the Isle Of Wight Steam Railway Island Engines event alongside Calbourne on 4&5 August. This will be the last chance to see all three island engines together until Freshwater's overhaul is completed. Info: http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/events/all-island-locos-together.aspx

Knowle is being hinted at for Avon Valley Railways End Of The Season Gala on 10&11 November. The visiting loco is announced on Friday. Hint at https://www.facebook.com/AVRbitton/photos/a.120219011493425.19275.118668068315186/957149221133729/?type=3&theater

Knowle is being hinted at for Avon Valley Railways End Of The Season Gala on 10&11 November. The visiting loco is announced on Friday. Hint at https://www.facebook.com/AVRbitton/photos/a.120219011493425.19275.118668068315186/957149221133729/?type=3&theater

Knowle is confirmed as the first visitor of the AVR Gala https://www.facebook.com/AVRbitton/photos/a.120219011493425.19275.118668068315186/957236117791706/?type=3&theater

• 3 months later...

Boxhill is definitely at the NRM in York ... but not exactly 'On Display'.  In August it was parked at the back of the "Learning Space" and is barely in view ... you can just about see it if you lean over the barrier by the loos.  Judging by the layer of dust I'm guessing its been there a while.

• RMweb Premium

With both a tied-in 7mm model release, and an upcoming tied-in 4mm one, I would hope they could give Boxhill a bit of a spruce up and put it on more visible display.

• RMweb Premium

Boxhill has been there at least two years since my last visit. It does feature in schools visits but is otherwise a candidate for the Waddon award for being overlooked by its host museum.

Fortunately 32678 has been active this summer on the KESR and we had an enjoyable ride behind it in the vintage train last month.

Let's just remember it will be the 150th anniversary of the Terriers' 1872 introduction in 2022, so it's time to star planning their 'Great Gathering' of all locos in intact condition with some operational. Time for Waddon to make the return trip....venue, 'somewhere in Southern England'?

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Stepney is NOT under overhaul - and given it needs new frames at a minimum its going to stay in the new 'Steam Works' section of the loco shed at Sheffield Park for a good while yet.

Fenchurch is, as stated, awaiting overhaul. No date has been set but the consensus is that as it is in a better condition than Stepney then it might enter the workshops at some point in the next decade - possibly to replace Bluebell when her ticket runs out.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Does the 'news' that 'Waddon' may just be surplus to requirements at Exporail in Delson [Canadian railroad museum] make its return to the UK more likely?

https://www.steamrailway.co.uk/steamnews/2018/10/12/steam-railway-sr485-on-sale-now

Waddon and Boxhill are the only original A1 type Terriers. Ideally both would be included in a 150th anniversary 'great gathering' of the remaining 10 Terriers in 2022. The good news is that all are intact except 50 'Whitechapel' under overhaul at the Spa valley Railway although only 3 are currently operational. 70 'Poplar/Bodiam' has an overhaul planned before its 150th birthday.

How about recreating the New Cross Gate 'Rooter Roundhouse' as a temporary structure to display all 10, somewhere in LBSCR territory? It may seem far fetched but we'll only get one shot at this and very few of us will be around for the 200th anniversary!

It would be a huge attraction. Maybe Dapol could be a sponsor?

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Waddon is a hybrid - it has an A1 smokebox but an A1X boiler. Boxhill is the only A1 in existence now. Repatriation for Waddon would be nice to see, as long as it goes to a good home.

Edited by Ian J.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My current understanding:

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...