Geometry of curved point.

edcayton

On 04/04/2016 at 15:20, RAF96 said:

Just looking at the Hornby geometry download and it is plain to see that R8075 has its inner leg rad = R2 and R8074 has its outer leg rad = R3.

Or if you pay attention to the Blue radius lines on the diagram, it's quite clear it isn't R3 on it's outer leg at any point.  As said elsewhere, it's an unholy combination of R643, R606 curves and R610 straights.

• RMweb Premium

The Peco Setrack curved point is (or was) exactly the same geometry as the Hornby one.    When I built my layout here in 1989 I used a Hornby curved point at the station throat as it was the only option to give a long enough run round in the limited space available.   I replaced it some years ago with a Peco Setrack point.  The curves are second radius, which is the tightest curve on my layout and should always be negotiated at low speed.  Some Bachmann and Hornby steam outline locos are left or right-handed and will only negotiate the curved point when running chimney towards fiddle yard or running tender first towards fiddle yard.   Trying to remember which locos are right-handed and which are left-handed can be challenging at times.