RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Yes it does, but that arrangement would be difficult to hide, I think the double rod arrangement will work but will be Thursday when I prep the layout ready for Tutbury before I can get in behind it to mount anything.

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute! :unsure:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

A long time ago in Scale Models magazine someone suggested using piano wire to represent moring ropes in a sort of pyramid style a big question being would it hold the weight

Hi Laurence, 

That was my original plan, however once I inserted some wire to act as a handle when painting the gasbag I realised to have any hope of supporting the whole airship (and bare in mind the control car, although small, is a white metal kit) the wire would have to be quite thick, at least 1mm and would need several, and would still flex.

I'm not convinced it would stable enough especially when moving the layout.

• RMweb Gold

In other news, the powerhouse building is now finished.

This is based on the structure a Howden of which I have one poor photo so everything has been scaled to what seems right, along with a bit of guess work.

711715945_powerhousefinished2.jpg.3eeefbe6c30edc69f10af6f60e2dea00.jpg

2044242101_powerhousefinished1.jpg.4ee2419960fd1cf8fe0ecac0ffac0644.jpg

The ground immediately in front of the Powerhouse is still wet.

I am using Mig Ammo Acrylic mud (a tip picked up from Plasmo's recent diorama build below) to give ground texture and hid the joint between the building and the baseboard.

Overall I'm impressed with the product, I've also got one of the earth textures which not only give a different colour but different texture too.

In most of the photos I've seen of the airship bases the infrastructure is surrounded by mud.

I'm guessing this is a by product of their quick build and rapidly being brought operational. 

Most only lasted from 1916 to the early twenties and then had been mothballed as non-operational from 1919 so no real chance for the surrounding to recover.

Edited by Argos
missed a bit
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Nick,

I'd have the issue of attaching the sheet metal to the backscene, I'm not convinced a glued joint would work here on a metal/wood interface.

It would also be quite a lot of bending moment on a sheet with little in the way of support.

perhaps but i suspect even  pcb may even be suitable  unless the derigible  is that heavy ?

anyway enjoying the progress and ignore my rambling 

Nick 

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Thanks 1

I do love the power house. it's a nicely observed structure, and a substantial one, which gives a good sense of scale to the massive hangar. 

That mud-in-a-jar stuff looks very impressive; seen from 3 minutes, 22 seconds into the video Argos posted. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I've been doing battle with the airship rigging.

A while ago I bought some elasticated rigging material used by aeromodellers figuring this would be ideal for the airship.

I thought I had bought 0.1mm thick thread which would equate to about an inch thickness, I was working on the idea that multiple of these threads would support the control car much as in the real thing.

I had actually purchased 0.01mm (less than 0.5 thou!) which was both far too thin and stretchy, a light load would see it stretch in length 3 times its original length. - Edit - rereading the pack it is actually 1 thou.

Clearly a rethink was in order.

Next I tried some 0.2mm guitar wire (well harpsichord actually) whilst this looked appropriate it was supplied in a coil and impossible to straighten without being under tension.

After trying to attach a couple of lines I gave up.

I resorted to simply gluing the control car to the air filler tube.

I'll get some more appropriately sized aircraft rigging and try again, it will be after the Tutbury supermeet though.

In the meantime the effect doesn't look too bad, the rigging is invisible in most photos of the real thin anyway.

354821614_takeoff2.jpg.619a7c2f6d95e4759234efecba32f628.jpg

1873131132_takeoff1.jpg.fab9519e863a7fe2b2d4c6f176531fe6.jpg

I've also finished the gas tank area, although I'm not happy with the tank manifolds, I'll redo these when time permits.

755861611_Fillingcylinders.jpg.268a0e13b3256bd03847bd5a1b00e6b3.jpg

Edited by Argos
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes! Haven’t tried myself, but I’ve seen strands of copper flex recommended for horse reins, perhaps this might work as rigging? (Possibly tinned?) I really do like that airship, must work out how big it would be in O.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I usually dislike comments that say Wow!, or that looks brilliant, or superb, unless I can say something helpful as well, but this time I will make an exception, Wow!, That looks brilliant.  Superb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm now sitting with my feet up and enjoying a large gin & tonic having loaded the van in preparation for the Tutbury show tomorrow.:smoke:

1295534035_Vanloaded.jpg.9539c2b7b546955b06368490abd6bad7.jpg

I hope to see some of you there! 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm back from the Tutbury Supermeet and enjoying a whisky nightcap.

A very enjoyable show was had and the layout behaved itself with only one derailment, although one of the locos was prone to stalling in places.

Lot of nice comments and feedback so thanks to everyone who took the time to do so.

Such words are ample encouragement to get on with more modelling!

Finally thanks to John Aldrick for organising the event.

There were some fantastic layouts there this year and it was great to be able to see them in such a relaxed and uncrowded environment.

At this point I should, of course, post some photos of the show but I complete forgot to take any!  :blush:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Argos said:

I'm back from the Tutbury Supermeet and enjoying a whisky nightcap.

A very enjoyable show was had and the layout behaved itself with only one derailment, although one of the locos was prone to stalling in places.

Lot of nice comments and feedback so thanks to everyone who took the time to do so.

Such words are ample encouragement to get on with more modelling!

Finally thanks to John Aldrick for organising the event.

There were some fantastic layouts there this year and it was great to be able to see them in such a relaxed and uncrowded environment.

At this point I should, of course, post some photos of the show but I complete forgot to take any!  :blush:

Glad you had a good show.  It is completely understandable not taking photos, they are usually the last thing on your mind.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No worries about no photos as Chris says.

From my experience if things are going well you are spending all your time enjoying it and if things are gong badly, you are either spending all your time trying to fix it or finding a way to minimise the effects of whatever the problem is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Argos said:

At this point I should, of course, post some photos of the show but I complete forgot to take any! 

Fortunately bcnPete and GrahamR have saved the day by posting up and linking to their photos of the event:-

https://2mmfcag.blogspot.com/2019/06/june-2019-2mmsa-expo-tutbury.html

Edited by Argos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So a week after the Tutbury exhibition and I've been ruminating on improvements to Glencruitten.

Obviously I need to finish the outstanding items: the hanger door, the water tank by the boiler, the loading bays and walkway on the hanger and add some more ground crew for the airship.

I think another row of LEDs is a must, currently I've used cool-white "daylight" LEDs which give a definite blue tinge to the layout, adding a row of warm white will hopefully counter this slightly and give a more natural feel.

The Micro-trains couplers have to go! Although I've used these successfully on a Canadian based layout I cannot get them to work for UK outline 2mm. 

They need manually coupling as well as uncoupling so the worst of both worlds, they don't look great on pre-grouping stock either.

I'm slowly creating a mountain of built up DGs ready to fit.

The layout is currently operating on DC although the intention always was to move over to DCC. I quite like the simplicity of just DC so may keep this as an option with a fascia mounted switch to change between the two.

Also I need to get the name painted on the fascia to complete the presentation.

Finally I forgotten I had taken one photo at Tutbury, Anthony Yeats's sublime Corrieshalloch

312281374_corrieshallochtutbury.jpg.15ec8f0d221ada8f92aa3aa03afefc70.jpg

• Like 7