RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

• RMweb Gold

Progress has been steady, if un-photogenic. 

I tried to take pictures of the intermediate stages but they didn't really do the subject justice, hence the lack of posts.

The Class 24 is now nearly finished.

I still need to add the tablet catches, the first pair I managed to ping into the realm of the carpet monster (I know, one is unfortunate two is...... ) and they have yet to reappear despite a concerted search.

I also decided I couldn't live with the moulded on Farish windscreen wipers, so these have been removed.

I'll replace them with some etched one that I'll hopefully pick up at the Wigan show in couple of weeks.

920604549_Class24almostdone2.jpg.7ef85b32f654f55d32c1b92d1aedd81f.jpg

The second view shows a bit more touching up is needed around the roof line, this is less noticeable in reality but I'll attend to it when I fit the wipers and tablet catchers.

49756399_Class24almostdone1.jpg.bc83192765df9d9e64bcc525823006d5.jpg

The gloss finish to the sides is deliberate, picture of the class form the 1962 period show them to be very shiny. Matt tones don't reflect reality.

Just to show the pre-grouping period isn't forgotten, I've also finished the dumb buffered Caley open wagon.

The Brake van should be decaled today (given the weather I'm unlikely to venture far outside!)

1633269095_dumbbufferedwagondone.jpg.3cd3b7803ab51c99968bbdaf65bcf9fb.jpg

I couldn't resist playing around with some filters though....

1225655968_dumbbufferedwagondone(2).jpg.d99a1ead382465ad7481dd138e22d06e.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed I also need to fit the window bar for the drop window over the tablet catcher.

Something else to sort when I fit the catchers.

One side of the Caley brake van is lettered, although I've run out of "I"s so had to place an order for some more lettering form Railtec.

Also a bit annoying because I've managed to damage one of the "I"s so will have overlay it when I get the new sheet.

A 20p piece is included for scale

1309217859_brakevanlettered..jpg.b2d078dfa24d13bec41000202f7febe6.jpg

I've also just realised that I haven't painted the ends vermilion in line with standard Caley practise so another visit to the paint shop is required.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An enjoyable day was spent at the Wigan Exhibition yesterday, including picking Airnimal's brains about plastic wagon builds for Dromahair. That left today for some modelling.

I didn't really feel in the mood though (some days I is, some days I isn't....) so didn't do any.

Glencruitten has appeared in print thanks to Anthony Yeates, the 2mm Association's magazine editor, who took some pictures at the Tutbury supermeet and knocked some words I provided into shape:-

Magazine.jpg.16febab7ab14cf16ac27e1b5566dd3f4.jpg

Seeing the article does provide some fresh impetus to get the remaining elements of the layout finished. 

Which is just as well as Glencruitten will be appearing at the Macclesfield MRG exhibition on the 14th & 15th March.

There is quite a bit I want to get done prior to the this so I need to get my finger out!

Edited by Argos
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

It is a childhood ambition to get something I built into print.

I was thinking then of the mainstream modelling press rather than a society magazine, but I'm still chuffed to bits.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't believe it is over three months since I posted to this topic, admittedly my attention has been on my DJLC entry, even so!

Activity on the layout has been fairly mundane.

I've upgraded the lighting. 

One criticism I received was that the layout looked very blue, this niggled me for a while, before I realised I knew it to be true (hence why it had annoyed me so much). 

I had used cool white LEDs for lighting as these appeared nearest in the spectrum to natural daylight, but in truth the colour was to stark and made everything appear too bright.

I noticed this most on a rare sunny day when natural light hit the layout, the colours were much more muted and real.

An additional strip of warm white LEDs has been added and instantly transformed the colours to the less stark and more natural tone.

Whilst I was at it I also added some lighting to the fiddle yard. This was not required at home but the fiddle area was a bit dark at exhibitions.

Unfortunately the change in lighting doesn't show very well on photos so I can't demonstrate the effect here.

I've also amended the electrics, up until now the DC controller has simply been wired in via a chocolate block connector under the base board with the connecting wire hanging down below it. 

A nice new din plug is now installed on the fascia which looks far more professional, I just need to add a DPDT switch to change between DCC and DC (Should I ever get around to chipping my locos!)

Another issue which has been solved was the slowly decreasing performance of one of the point motors.

I've used tortoise motors throughout and have never had an issue before (the motors on Glencruitten where salvaged from a previous layout so have been in use a while).

One point had ceased to switch fully, needing a shove with a finger tip to complete the throw, this slowly degenerated into the blades not being moved by the motor at all and needing a manual flick to move the blades. 

When it finished up with the blades being held in centre position and wouldn't set for either road even with a push I had to do something.

Sod's law dictated that the motor in question was hard up against a cross brace, so viewing was difficult. The motor could be heard to work when the switch was thrown but I couldn't feel any movement above the fulcrum. The fulcrum slider also wouldn't move.

Turning the board on the side revealed this:

2088396875_rustypointswitch.jpg.1a00cbd0239e8872c5d00be9953defa8.jpg

When I first installed the point the stretcher bar (moving PCB sleeper) snapped, I repaired it by soldering a brass plate over the cracked joint to rejoin the two halves. 

When doing this some of the liquid flux must have run down the shift rod and pooled on the fulcrum, overtime this has slowly rusted solid.

After I removed the motor there was no movement at all above the fulcrum the rod having rusted in the vertical position and seized in the fulcrum hole.

A new hole has to be drilled in the fulcrum as the existing one was blocked solid with rust.

A new shift rod was installed, some oil dribbled on the fulcrum which will hopefully counteract any flux residue and the motor re-installed.

Full remote work restored!

The next exhibition outing for Glencruitten is coming around mid-March (Macclesfield Model Railway Exhibition 14 &215th March) so I need to focus my attention getting the remaining bits of scenery done (mostly completing the airship shed) and I really need to get some steam power working to avoid the diesel time-warp.

I've made some progress and will post some more updates shortly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the LEDs work......:blind:

91005515_TheLEDSwork.jpg.eb4cb561cf89af907ec9fd0ec7941fbc.jpg

In reality a photo of a bright subject in a slightly dim room was never going to work.

Hopefully the new vinyl cut name and neatened fascia are just about visible!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Macclesfield show is still on tomorrow  so the usual pre show scramble left much undone.

Due to an outbreak of absolute stupidity the terrier is not finished.

In previous chassis builds I struggled with the coupling rods. This build, I determined would be different.

Once the chassis was running smoothly with the coupling rods temporary held in place I disassembled everything and laid out the components.

I then realised I was missing the fag paper I was going to use to prevent soldering everything solid.

I got the fag paper, soaked it in oil, placed over the crank pins, dropped over the crank pins trimmed the pins to length and soldered the washer with some low melt solder.

Success! The wheels still moved and the washers were soldered.

I then noticed the unfixed coupling rod staring up at me...........:banghead:

As I had soldered the crank pins into the wheel and these were now cut too short I had difficulty removing them, one had to be drilled out.

So back to square one.

So the 1962/1918 timewarp will continue at Macclesfield.

On a more positive note I have finished two of the diesel fleet.

These are now better representative of the Scottish diesels in 1962.

1340008107_Scottishdiesels.jpg.be626711f5ec127fbeb4cb33ac9e7116.jpg

The Class 24 is now a Highland Baby Sulzer, D5123 which was based at Perth in 1962 and was photoed on the Aberfeldy branch.

The Class 27 is now D5357 which was very active on the C&O in 1962 being photographed numerous times on the Ballachulish branch.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The past two days have been spent playing trains at the Macclesfield model railway exhibition.

Glencruitten received some nice comments (and an invite to the Liverpool 2021 Model railway exhibition) although in truth I'm still not happy with the layout's running.

A thorough check of the back-to-backs on Sunday morning improved the running but it is clear I need to invest some time in getting all the new DG couplings aligned to the same height.

Set up and ready to go on Saturday 

75106637_Maccexhibitionreadytogo.jpg.63e2fae121599dad1e3c8fb54b217ffc.jpg

The lights aren't turned on to avoid over exposure of the picture.

And to provide a suitable bookend the last train of the weekend:-

1710480413_Lasttrainoftheday.jpg.1ac961b92eb8a2173d98d44cfcbd79f3.jpg

And finally an unusual photo through the fiddle yard exit.

1560133428_Dieselsandairships.jpg.c4a4bb7c9cf0091cdb3414442d84cfcf.jpg

Thanks if you stopped by, I hope you liked what you saw!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The two hours a day saved by not commuting have been put to use attacking a couple of wagon kits that have been hanging around for far too long:-

1112087084_wagonsnewbuilds.jpg.1ee2a6279d5a2cc436b99ad3a87bd8b8.jpg

Nothing special, both association kits, a diagram 1/213 standard BR vent van with plywood sides and D1666 ex LMS 5 plank wagon.

Not glamorous but work-a-day wagons that would find themselves on the line.

I currently building a Presflo from the association kit, slightly more challenging  but when completed all three will be put through the paint shops.

Edit - just noticed the door hanger needs adding to the D1666 wagon. It will be done prior to painting.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The past few days have been spent building one of the society's presflo kits.

for the 1962 period most goods trains on the C&O had at least a couple in the makeup, being taken out to Ballachulish for unloading or returning to Burntisland for loading with alumina.

I found the kit quite a challenge, but this is mostly down to my inability to read instructions!

I managed to lose two axle boxes (the kit provides 5), I carefully put them to one side once laminated but when I went for them I had managed to knock the pot over and lose two.

The carpet monster was obviously hungry that day!

So I now have a second kit to construct which can also donate an axlebox.

There still some detailing to do on the first, discharge pipework. handrails and so on but I'll do that once I have both kits to the same stage.

I also need to repair the stantions at the bottom of the resin casting of the hopper. 

1821349623_presflo1.jpg.0656e4378ad23acb501f1f315788b973.jpg

1756474975_presflo2.jpg.2b42544563e19bc4731defbfa8f298a1.jpg

The second kit should go together quicker and better as I think I learnt the lessons of how these go together.

That will be after I assemble one of my Irish kits that I promised myself I'd do over Easter though.

• Like 11

• 1 year later...

Angus and anyone else interested in RNAS naval airship station Rosalind Hodge will giving a talk on RNAS Polgate, from her book on the same subject to Eastbourne Local History Society via Zoom on Tuesday May 6th 2022 for link to login to her talk contact Diana Guthrie at dhguthrie@btinternet.com. RNAS Polgate was actually in Willingdon however it was named Polgate as at that date that was nearest railway station if name  of Hampden Park station had been renamed from Willingdon in 1906 RNAS Polgate would been called Wiilgdon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1