RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

I've just bought into Dapol's Easishunt system, though I've yet to play with any of it yet.   Have you compared Dapol to the Microtrains?   I've read that the Dapols do work better with buffered stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi AlfaZeagato,

Easishunts do work out quite expensive if you have a lot of stock to convert.

My only experience is with a Dapol class 27 and coupling to microtrains equipped wagons.

This works but I prefer the performance I have seen from DGs.

Thanks

Angus

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Argos said:

This works but I prefer the performance I have seen from DGs.

Well said, Angus! If only more people, especially N gaugers, could grasp this simple fact. "But they are awfully fiddly", oh for heaven's sake, if you can't do 'fiddly' why do you work in a small and fiddly scale?

David

Edit to add, don't get me started on Electras . . .

Edited by DavidLong
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At my request Andy has very kindly moved this topic over from the pre-grouping section.

Glencruitten was always intended to be operated with both my 50/60s stock and my Caledonian stock although the layout is firmly set around the earlier time period.

It felt wrong to be posting photos of early BR stock in the Pre-grouping section.

Since Tutbury I've been attacking the kit pile and have been rather enjoying worrying some brass with the soldering iron.

First up we have a CCT (Dapol model with the association underframe), a 21t mineral wagon (Parkside with association underframe)  and a steel open merchandise wagons (Farish with an association underframe).

I've still to fit the door bangers on the last wagon.

229274708_CCTandwagons.jpg.07cb7278e2b88c98d4d11ec04b92899b.jpg

The Southern CCT (PLV?) might at first seem an odd choice for a layout based on the Callander and Oban, however, there was a good trade in small merchandise being carried along the route. The Caley had two separate diagrams of road vans built especially for the line that were present in most general goods trains. These differed from the road vans built on other lines which seemed to consist of a combined brake and goods van. Those built for the C&O were really just large goods vans/CCTs. By the 50s the southern style CCTs had taken over this role and again can be seen in most of the goods formation on the route.

I have to confess to being tempted just to use replacement wheelsets in these wagons but the quality of the association underframes makes the effort worthwhile, especially when compared to the ugly plastic lumps that come with the RTR stock.

1771678664_CCTchassis.jpg.7d531b61e33d14598f4116fa551e339f.jpg

The photo above shows the difference the etch chassis makes.

It's also a great kit that just falls together.

The steel merchandise wagon has the brake shoes aligned with the axle boxes in the Farish model, which is odd given there are several parts to the chassis and a pot of separate detail added to the moulding.

And just to show the Caley isn't forgotten I've finished a diagram 22  dumb buffered 8t wagon I started a while ago and almost completed an 1873 pre-wagon book brake van,

Both are from Jim Watt's Buchanan kits range.

1696370798_CRWagons.jpg.2f4b57349264c1040bd21be9ab440e57.jpg

Edited by Argos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 hours ago, Argos said:

And just to show the Caley isn't forgotten I've finished a diagram 22  dumb buffered 8t wagon I started a while ago and almost completed an 1873 pre-wagon book brake van,

Both are from Jim Watt's Buchanan kits range.

And a very nice job you're making of them too! 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Northroader said:

No contest, innit? and he can pull teeth, too.

Not any more I can't! The GDC would have me for unregistered practice of I tried it! 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Family commitments and the Tour de France have kept me away from the workbench recently, I've still managed a bit of time though and the Caley brake van is nearing completion.

Just a couple of body front steps and the lamp irons to add.

1093631112_caleybrakevan2.jpg.8c90450d91e6dd63d30ac42902998b62.jpg

The roof still needs to be permanently fixed but this will be done after painting.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The past few modelling sessions have been focused on detailing my Farish Class 24.

Class 24s are not locos that are synonymous with the Callander and Oban, but there are photos of them on the line in the early 70s.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p916501830/h7F6EE312#h7f6ee312

I have never seen a photo of a class 24 in early green livery on the line though.

It doesn't mean it didn't happen, just no photos.

One reason to include the class is simple, I like them!

There are some iconic photos of the class not that far from the C&O on the Aberfeldy  branch were they saw out the last services hauling a single brake carriage.

271921_1000.jpg

These locos would have been based at Perth, a shed that occasionally supplied motive power for the Killin branch and provided back up for the Stirling shed.

In the early 60's the chronic performance of the Class 21s (another favourite)  would have created a power shortage, so it's not too far a stretch to assume a Perth Class 24 would make an appearance deputising for a failed Class 21.

In 1962, the year modelled, D5114 to D5132 were all allocated to Scotland. These were later to be designated Class 24/1 under TOPS coding so were fitted with headcode boxes, no roof mounted horns and tablet catches.

I have chosen to model D5123 as there a few photos of this loco on the Aberfeldy branch in 62.

There are also some nice detail photos of the loco on the Derby Sulzers website.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/24123.html

Starting point for the conversion is the Etched Pixels conversion kit.

Most of the components are aimed at later alterations but the headcode boxes fold up nicely and the etched roof fan and grill make a significant improvement.

737346581_Class24roof.jpg.2484a00749598d32b6fcf49112fdaa4e.jpg

In 1962 D5123 was still running with its original circular exhaust port, the etched pixels kit comes with a mesh grill but misses the circular cap.

This was formed by thinning a 12BA washer then reaming it to the required diameter and reducing the external diameter to the require dimensions. 

A bit of work but worth the effort.

The sanded area on the roof is where the rectangular exhaust vent and silencer cover has been removed.

These weren't installed until 1963.

The tablet catcher recesses have been carefully cut out and are ready for the fitment of some TPM etched tablet catchers once the recess has been painted.

1854877521_Class24frontandtabletcatcher.jpg.6c60c84cc77f1a2479f88a108fd85b54.jpg

The marker disc lights have been filled so the only remaining body alteration is the side windows over the tablet catchers.

These were changed to side slide opening rather than drop down as fitted to the none tablet catcher locos.

The two windows over the none tablet catcher side appear to have remained drop down opening.

The moulded bars have been carved away and the window surface sanded with fine wet and dry (1200 grit) before polishing with Brasso.

This has removed any evidence the moulding and left he windows almost as clear as the originals.

Another polish might bring help.

393472297_Class24windows.jpg.3d9fb88dfcdf65bf5b97761f8f038812.jpg

I'll add the bar for the slide glazing when I fit the windows.

5123bw.jpg

The only task remaining prior to painting and finishing is to cut down the fuel tank on the Chassis.

I am still debating whether to mill out the excess material or attack it with a piercing saw. 

I think the latter option might be safest.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, I wasn't aware of an issue with the middle roof panel .

I'll double check the photos when I get home and make a decision.

I want the model to be as accurate as possible but I'm also happy to compromise absolute fidelity in the name of expediency.

It will depend on the level of work required/ degree to which appearance will change/ risk to the model of carrying out the work.

Thanks

Angus

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Paul, I wasn't aware of an issue with the middle roof panel .

I'll double check the photos when I get home and make a decision.

I want the model to be as accurate as possible but I'm also happy to compromise absolute fidelity in the name of expediency.

It will depend on the level of work required/ degree to which appearance will change/ risk to the model of carrying out the work.

Thanks

Angus

The roof panel issue is an obvious glaring error (which affects more than one 4mm scale version too) - not least because the roof is the most visible part of most model diesel locos. Correcting it, using microstrip perhaps, will make a huge difference to the appearance of your model, especially considering all the other excellent work that you have done to improve its appearance.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Becasse and Paul,

Now it's been pointed out it is an obvious error, I don't know how I missed first time around, I must recheck other details.

It looks an easy fix so would be silly not to.

I might even attack it this evening rather than take root on the sofa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's the middle roof panel sorted.

1527292220_Class24roofmiddlepanel.jpg.0055df7fc51f4a79fdf6b37afb6dea79.jpg

It needs a little cleaning up once the solvent has gone off completely.

Obviously this is blown up beyond actual size.

The fuel tank is in line to be attacked next.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I still can't see the difference in the roof panels between the original and modified. Has anyone got a roof shot photo to illustrate. It's not glaring at me!

David

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DavidLong said:

I still can't see the difference in the roof panels between the original and modified. Has anyone got a roof shot photo to illustrate. It's not glaring at me!

David

The beading has been moved further down to line up with the panel nearest the cab. It took me a while to work it out too!

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick,

The Honest answer is I don't know.

Sound is a slippery slope needing significant investment. One loco is ok, but then you would need to do your entire fleet.

That said I was impressed with BCNpete's sound fitted 24s on Kyle so might make the investment.

Whilst I have to tools to do the installation this is one I might hand over to professionals.

Hi David,

I'll post some photos later. Once you see it the error is quite glaring.

Thanks

Angus

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you putting in the small rectangular grills above each door and the other similar one a little further along ? (Assuming that you are modelling the loco in the photo.)

Amazed at how quickly and cleanly you've rectified the beading issue, looks great.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

The beading has been moved further down to line up with the panel nearest the cab. It took me a while to work it out too!

On the prototype it was the other way round. All the Class 24s and the earlier Class 25s had the three panels occupying the same (wide) arc of the roof so the beading was all in-line. However the later Class 25s had an extra line of ventilation panels installed along the cantrail both sides and this necessitated a reduction in the width of the central panel.

The vast majority of manufacturers in both 2mm and 4mm scale have taken this later design as the starting point for their models, even without the cantrail ventilation grills. Getting the cab "brow" shape right has been an issue for model manufacturers, I am told because no detail drawings exist, and reviews of new models as they emerged were naturally drawn to that feature, so reviewers overlooked the width of the central panel issue. It is noteworthy that Brassmasters who produce(d) a wonderful range of detailing parts for Class 24/25s in 4mm scale overlooked the issue too - it could have been corrected by fitting a new two-part etched central panel. However, once the error is corrected it is amazing how "correct" the model suddenly looks.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

David

Thanks, David, that explains it perfectly.

David

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 03060 said:

Are you putting in the small rectangular grills above each door and the other similar one a little further along ? (Assuming that you are modelling the loco in the photo.)

Amazed at how quickly and cleanly you've rectified the beading issue, looks great.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

They were on my initial list of improvements when I did a comparison of the prototype against the Farish model.

When I then sat down and looked more closely at the model these grills are present on the Farish model albeit not very defined by the moulding. 

My plan is to highlight the texture of these grills with washes and weathering during the finishing process to make them more visible.

Angus

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not posted for a little while, partly due to a new addition to the family taking up time.

We lost our 15 year old Shiba Inu recently which had left us with a doggy shaped hole in our lives, a hole now filled by this wee fella:-

Paddy_day_1_-_1.jpg.1809806c22e4c0cd1cc9d147e7831c7a.jpg

I've otherwise been slowly plodding on with the Class 24.

I'm determined to finish it before I get distracted by other projects.

The final pieces were added to the body in the form of the  supports for the tablet catcher made up from plastic strip.

Which left the body ready for painting.

846808152_class24readyforpaint.jpg.ec461f243e040e31403ef1ef93808c55.jpg

At this point the fun began. I should know better, but having almost finished giving the body a blast of Halford's primer the can ran out.

Rather then go indoors and fetch the new tin I had in store, I shook up the empty tin an effort to squeeze the last dregs out.

These came out in a thick splurge which ensure a manic few minutes cleaning the excess off with white spirit before leaving everything the dry, sanding down and cleaning off before starting again.

Roof and body are now done, I think the grey I've chosen for the roof is a little light, hopefully some weathering will help darken it a bit.

In the year modelled 1962, the loco had only been in service for a year or so and probably still relatively factor fresh.

1714625572_class24bodyroofdone.jpg.b27b52cbbbb03244e5c2568905cd8989.jpg

I need to touch up the green body paint a bit then mask off and spray the light green line at the bottom of the body.

I've also taken a saw to the fuel tanks to shorten as per the prototype.

The body was first well wrapped in masking tape to keep any debris out of the motor and gears.

1007199021_Class24fueltanksshortened.jpg.725678552153e9a1542278fb5b5d454c.jpg

So some progress, even it has been one step backwards for every shuffle forwards.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4