RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

• RMweb Gold

nice progress you  put my lack of the same to shame,   would the Farish 7mm or clone motor fit  the chassis

Nick

Thanks Nick,

The 7mm motor wouldn't offer much, It's larger than the small motor anyway.

Looking at again at the specs of the 8mm motor I have, (Nigel Lawton Midi) a 30:1 reduction with 5' 9" wheels will give a top speed of around 88Mph, so not massively over speed.

I can limit this by programming the DCC chip anyway, so no need for the added complication of double reduction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work has carried on in fits and start over the past few weeks.

The framework for the top is now in place albeit the two cross members need milling down to sit flush with the installed angle around the edges.

post-13616-0-57433800-1497906100.jpg

Having built the structure from 6mm MDF the whole thing was getting a but weighty hence the change to the aluminium framing.

This is the first time I've used this, and having found it quite workable it certainly won't be the last. 

I can already see such framing with some insulation board being and ideal portable solution.

It's a bit late for this build though.

The PO wagon build is coming along and if I can get tot he workbench this week it should be ready for the paintshop at the weekend.

The photo here show it staged between two R-T-R Farish wagons awaiting conversion to 2mm finescale (a future "cheat" builds).

It does show how small these 1887 RCH wagons were.

post-13616-0-89018400-1497906427.jpg

Finally the reason for a slight slowing in progress is this:-

post-13616-0-60023100-1497906468.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a lathe for a while now.

Whilst reading up about options for  small lathes (the largest thing I can envisage turning is a 7mm boiler dome, so I don't need the default myford that most model engineering sites seem to guide you toward) I stumbled across these "Geneva" pattern watch makers lathes. 

Watching people turning brass with a hand graver on YouTube was the clincher.

It seemed to embody more craft than engineering (the chap in the video is using a pivot lathe but the principles are the same).

I also liked the look of them and the fact they seem to last for ever (if properly cared for).

They are certainly more attractive to look at then a modern lathe (to my eyes anyway) and hopefully won't devalue.

Following a bit of study and ebay stalking I took the plunge and bought a lathe with a separate faceplate and headstock unit. 

Both were in pretty tatty condition but cheap enough to warrant a punt.

As it turns out a strip down, bearing adjustment and cosmetic clean was all that required to get them up and working.

I've now got the component parts to get to work and start practicing my hand turning.

This means that I can (hopefully) now turn the correct chimney profile for the Caley locos I am building.

I can't find anything available commercially that does the job.

The nearest being a Webb chimney but these are bit anemic to my eyes to represent Caley chimneys.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 6

Just a small suggestion, have you looked at the archives of Cross and Cockade, thWW1 aero magazines. i used to be a member and recall several articles relating to early airships of the rNAS and their bases.

Perhaps a bit late in the day but could be worth a shot.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robert,

I did have a mouch around their web site a while ago.

I couldn't seem to find much though.

I'll go back and take another look when I get some time.

Argos

Vol10n02 has an article about NS3 on p 86 pics of the airship itself and crew etc

Vol 10 no 4p170 an article about Howden airship station map of station and photos of odd details.

vol37 nos 2 & 3 articles about rigid airshipsR31 and Rthese are all in Cross and Cockade I'm sure that there are more but my membership was intermittent and I only have a few volumes.

PM me I can scan info if you want

• Like 1

Vol10n02 has an article about NS3 on p 86 pics of the airship itself and crew etc

Vol 10 no 4p170 an article about Howden airship station map of station and photos of odd details.

vol37 nos 2 & 3 articles about rigid airshipsR31 and Rthese are all in Cross and Cockade I'm sure that there are more but my membership was intermittent and I only have a few volumes.

PM me I can scan info if you want

scan of howden airship basepost-11462-0-56884500-1498550623_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

scan of howden airship baseattachicon.gifhowden.jpeg

Thanks Robert, 

Howden appears to be slightly unusual, normally the gas plant was located in an relatively isolated location away from the rest of the base, but here it is situated next to the officers mess and barrack huts.

According to Malcolm Fife there where five gas holders on the site two at 500,000 cubic feet, two at 250,000 cubic feet on of 20,000 cubic feet.

So there would be over 1.5 million cubic feet of hydrogen stored a few hundred feet away from where you your dinner was being cooked!

Just in case the risk wasn't high enough they seem to have built the ammunition store just next door.......

I reckon if that lot went up you would measure it on the Richter Scale. 

The other unusual thing about Howden was the fact that the rail lines went into the airship sheds, and yes the sheds were shunted by steam locos.

The risk was deemed minimal as any escaped hydrogen being lighter than air would be trapped in the roof, well above the hot steam engines.

Still, I'm not sure I would want to be the first loco to enter in the morning!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

have I mentioned this which may help flesh out some details http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6055.0

capel.jpg

Nick

Thanks for the link Nick.

The pictures in the link answer one question I've been trying to find the answer for, and that is what the perimeter fence looked like?

Most photos I've seen center around the Airship sheds and the airships themselves. 

Very little of the surrounding infrastructure has been capture for posterity.

The perimeter fence in one of the photos looks to be a metal chain link fence (although it might be post and wire)

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/trikeboy/media/cGF0aDpBaXJmaWVsZHMvV1cxQ2FwZWwuanBn/?ref=

I have a kit for some modern chain link that I might try and adapt.

I was worried it would look out of place.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The sunny weather over the past few weekends has kept me away from modelling.

I've was building a new rabbit hitch and replacing fencing for my wife's rabbits.

The Tour de France is also acting as an entertaining diversion.

I've still managed to get a few tasks done though.

The top is now in place and the interior has been painted white.

post-13616-0-69600200-1499977188.jpg

The backscene will cover the rear and sides but the paint will help seal the wood. The white top will help reflect the light.

I've also taken delivery of some LEDs, hopefully the lighting will get installed over the coming weekend.

post-13616-0-20589100-1499977295.jpg

I did do quite a bit of navel gazing trying to decide what colour to paint the fascia, Caley Blue (whatever colour that may be....... :no: ), black, dark wood to match the cabinet the layout will sit on.....

All prevarication stopped when I realised I had half a tin of Green paint left over from the rabbit hutch and fencing.

post-13616-0-12362800-1499977499.jpg

All it needs now is a varnish seal.

The lack of modelling time also means I am behind in the challenge of building a piece of  rolling stock each month.

In order to catch up I am going to deploy a cheat for July.

I took delivery of three Mathieson PO Wagons from the 2mm Society Central Shop so one of these will be completed in July.

The drop in wheels are already done, the coupling need replacing along with the interior repainting and some weathering.

post-13616-0-57090100-1499977707.jpg

I'm not sure what South Wales PO wagons are doing near Oban, perhaps some of the coal trains travelling up to supply the fleet at Scapa Flow have been diverted by the Admiralty to supply the airship base....

Finally, the first templates have been glued down ready to start track construction.

post-13616-0-97313000-1499977866.jpg

Busy times ahead!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All in favour of a light green for fascia paint, I think a dark colour would give the unit a heavy look, and a stronger colour such as blue would compete with what's being going on in the layout. A green just suggests a country setting and is nice and neutral.

Starting to come together well, and looking promising.

• Like 1

All prevarication stopped when I realised I had half a tin of Green paint left over from the rabbit hutch and fencing.

GREEN!!     Yeuk, but I take Northroader's point, and at least it's not the same green as used by one of those companies with 'G' and 'W' in their title!   :jester:

As for the Welsh coal wagons might there not have been some naval vessels stationed there to provide defence against any attempt at an attack on the base from the sea?  This would give a good excuse for them.

Jim

• Like 1

GREEN!!     Yeuk, but I take Northroader's point, and at least it's not the same green as used by one of those companies with 'G' and 'W' in their title!   :jester:

There's nowt wrong with green!!

I have GWR green and a green fascia on Modbury :-)

post-12089-0-51751900-1500040573_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 3

What has the Glasgow & South Western ever done to you?!?

EDIT: Then again, you may have a point!!!

As to the other company with 'G' and 'W' in its title, well, of course, it depends which green you mean; e.g. Wolverhampton, Swindon pre-1906, pre-1928, pre-1948.

They are, of course, all lovely.

post-25673-0-57262900-1500040479.jpg

post-25673-0-65850200-1500040508.jpg

post-25673-0-51685900-1500040540.jpg

post-25673-0-08859300-1500040951.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

What has the Glasgow & South Western ever done to you?!?

Nothing to me, personally, but they and the Caley were always at loggerheads!

But it is general knowledge that the proper colour to paint a passenger locomotive is blue, even if it's a diseasal or elemaclectric motorised biscuit tin!   :jester:  :jester:

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Green? Blue? Well-varnished crimson lake would be eye-catching...

Presumably fully lined with large gold numerals?

For my O Gauge Three Shires Head layout I was considering a gloss black fascia with red, cream and grey lining as per the LNWR.

I think the black might have been ok but still may have taken focus away from the layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The LEDs have now been installed and temporarily wired up to the driver.

post-13616-0-56311000-1500238532.jpg

It ll looks a bit stark in a gloomy garage but should be fine under normal lighting conditions.

The white painted backscene doesn't help, this will shortly be relaxed with some sky paper.

I've also been building the carcass of the airship shed from some left over ply.

It might seem an odd thing to focus on this early in the build but I am intending to hide the power supplies in the back of the hanger building accessible through a cut out in the rear.

At two feet long the building is certainly long enough.

post-13616-0-24672700-1500238738.jpg

The timber will be painted white to blend in and was required to shield the LEDs at the back of the lid.

The 7plk wagon helps to give an idea of scale.

This represents a fairly standard "Coastal Shed" as built at East Fortune, Cramlington, Longside and Mullion albeit one of the short ones at 300ft long, most Coastal Sheds seem to be around 330ft long.

post-13616-0-16893500-1500239062.jpg

The wood will be clad with corrugated sheeting and painted in camouflage colours as per the real thing, or at least as best as I can tell form black and white photos!

One aspect I'm still pondering is how to make the "windows", these are quite noticeable, I am just unsure whether they are clear sheeting, glazed or left un-sheeted, they appear black in most photographs of the period so difficult to tell. 

I suspect glazing of some kind otherwise the airships would still be blown around in the shed in high winds.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although the stock building might be lagging behind where I want it to be steady progress is being made in other areas.

post-13616-0-96347800-1501621032.jpg

The first group of three points now has all the main rails in place, one of the points is nearly complete leaving the switch rails and crossing Vs and check rails on the remaining two.

I'm using copper clad sleepers with Versaline chairplates.

I realise this is a bit old hat now but I find the soldered construction more robust and I can alter the solder joints by re-applying heat to get the correct alignment.

I never seem to get it right first time!

With the plastic easitrac system once it's glued it is harder to move.

This does make construction a bit slow but hopefully it will pay off in the end.

That said I'm running out of copper clad point sleepers and shop 1 is out of stock so the second group of three points may have to be plastic easitrac!

• Like 1