RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

I was hoping to start getting the track down this weekend, but frustratingly, the spray mount I ordered is waiting at the post office.  :rtfm:

I need this to stick down the templates over which the track will be laid, once power feed holes and turnout drives have been appropriately drilled.

The templates have been printed out on 200gsm card and trimmed ready to lay:-

attachicon.giftemplates down 1.jpg

attachicon.giftemplates down 2.jpg

The other job to enable the track to go down is to bridge the river cutting.

My wife was out last night so with Spectre on Netflix and a glass of whiskey as accompaniment I built up the main span:-

attachicon.gifbridge 1.jpg

Further work today added the approach spans.

I've still got to add the cross bracing to these but it's taking shape:-

attachicon.gifBridge 2.jpg

attachicon.gifBridge 3.jpg

I am still debating whether to deck out the top surface or lay the rails on longitudinal timbers.

I am veering towards the longitudinal with  steels ties between to hold the alignment.

This should look nice and temporary.

The only issue is whether I can fit a check rail.

Didn't realise you were modelling Bleath Gill...

D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn't realise you were modelling Bleath Gill...

I must confess to having to google that one Mr McCann, which is doubly embarrassing as I went to school in Barnard Castle so should know the area better!  :blush:

Hopefully all will look less white in a few weeks.

Once the wiring is done and working the track will be sprayed and the polystyrene will be covered in some "ground gloop" so will go from snow to mud in short order!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I came to the dawning realisation on Friday that I only have 4 weeks to go to the Poynton Model Show where RNAS Glencruitten is scheduled to make its first appearance.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127268-the-model-show-9th-10th-dec-2017-poynton-ne-cheshire/

So digit definitely needs extracting!

The plan was never to have the layout finished and was always going to be a "work in progress" none the less hopefully worthwhile viewing.

Hopefully I'll get the wiring finished and the layout operable this weekend then I can focus on rolling stock and scenery development in readiness for the show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I came to the dawning realisation on Friday that I only have 4 weeks to go to the Poynton Model Show where RNAS Glencruitten is scheduled to make its first appearance.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127268-the-model-show-9th-10th-dec-2017-poynton-ne-cheshire/

So digit definitely needs extracting!

The plan was never to have the layout finished and was always going to be a "work in progress" none the less hopefully worthwhile viewing.

Hopefully I'll get the wiring finished and the layout operable this weekend then I can focus on rolling stock and scenery development in readiness for the show.

what motive power are you intending to use?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Pump up the blimp!

Sadly, at this stage, the blimp won't be making an appearance.
I may get a couple of aircraft built though (not painted)

what motive power are you intending to use?

For the minute there will be a gap in space-time continuum. D5356, an unmolested (apart from turned down wheels) green Class 27 from Dapol is my only operable 2mm scale loco.
I am hoping to partner this with a green Class 24 converted using the society's drop in wheels.

I've a longer term plan that involves both these locos, although eventually they will be further worked on, the class 27 needs tablet catchers installing and the Class 24 will be converted to a Class 24/1

I've always fancied recreating a scene similar to this:-

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p110641704/h60115E27#h60115e27

Albeit this was taken on the Aberfeldy branch of the Highland Railway and not my favoured C&O and associated branches.

My main problem is that I have very little rolling stock appropriate for the '60s to match the diesels.
I did contemplating buying some appropriate Farish wagons and putting some society wheel sets in for the show, then running the layout as a RAF base running a threadbare operation from the old airship station for the Poynton show.

I don't want to divert from the theme of the airship base though as I feel this is worthy and usual subject, especially given it is 100 years since these bases were in active operation.

So... I will be using the rolling stock currently built, and some that will be built in the next few weeks that are all appropriate for the 1917 timescale.
I've a stack of 3d printed LNWR wagon bodies from various Shapeways shops (  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/masterclass-models , https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dsrm?li=pb )
Combining these with some society W irons, Alan Jones's exquisite springs and axle boxes that he reduced to 2mm for me ( https://www.shapeways.com/shops/2mmpregroup ) and some
3 bolt 10" buffers from Guy Rixon, ( https://www.shapeways.com/shops/guyrixon ) should make for a speedy build. This will swell the wagon fleet considerably.

One down side is the fleet will have a LNWR bent that will need correction with more CR stock as time allows.

I've a lot to do, but I am trying to squeeze in a weekend just to focus on finishing the build on the 439 tank.

post-13616-0-39789300-1510486605.jpg

The build has a rolling chassis, although some re-work is needed to incorporate the motor. 
The footplate is also built just needing the superstructure completing, so this is do-able if time permits.

Even in unfinished brass it will help reserve the "pre-grouping feel" I can then use the diesels as back up.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

I did consider a Jinty briefly.
The trouble is, it wouldn't fit in any of of my future plans and would still be out of period so I don't really gain anything.

I did consider using the chassis as a basis for a Caley 782 tank build:-

http://www.albarailwaymodels.co.uk/Images/782_drawing_side.jpg

I believe there was a body kit available in 4mm scale that used a Jinty chassis.

The problem, in my eyes, is the wheelbase is incorrect. 
The 782 has a much, and distinctive, asymmetric  wheelbase, even though the difference is only a millimeter or so in 2mm the appearance will not capture the prototype. 

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/HG5KBC/caledonian-railway-782-class-0-6-0t-no394-as-british-railways-56374-HG5KBC.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/LMS_0-6-0T_3F_locomotive%2C_16564_%28CJ_Allen%2C_Steel_Highway%2C_1928%29.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that's the multiple spider's legs tamed..... :sungum:

post-13616-0-82987200-1510522421.jpg

All the below board wiring is now complete.

The point motors all work and track section enable a loco to be run from one end to the other.

Only the fiddle yard turntable remains to be wired.

Annoyingly a couple of the point tie bars snapped when I was cutting the tortoise fulcrum wire so some remedial work will be required.

The layout is only running on DC at present (hence the gaugemaster controller wired in). Once I am happy with the running I'll switch on the DCC.

It is only a matter of connecting two wires to the circuit breaker (yes really.....)  :mosking:

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

Well that's the multiple spider's legs tamed..... :sungum:

attachicon.gifwiring 2.jpg

All the below board wiring is now complete.

The point motors all work and track section enable a loco to be run from one end to the other.

Only the fiddle yard turntable remains to be wired.

Annoyingly a couple of the point tie bars snapped when I was cutting the tortoise fulcrum wire so some remedial work will be required.

The layout is only running on DC at present (hence the gaugemaster controller wired in). Once I am happy with the running I'll switch on the DCC.

It is only a matter of connecting two wires to the circuit breaker (yes really.....)  :mosking:

Ahh yes, the old 'all you need is two wires' thing again! Looks like you had fun connecting up those'two' wires there Argos!

Seriously though, very neat and I'm sure all will be fine at the show. Looking forward to seeing it in the timber so to speak, after watching the layout develop on here.

Now where did I put me copy of the countdown music...............

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

For the minute there will be a gap in space-time continuum. 

Were you not so far away, I could offer you some suitable motive power and stock, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to trust them to the PO or a courier!   :nono:

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold

But as there is a gap there is no telling how long that minute will last.....

Thanks for the consideration Jim, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with being responsible for someone's pride and joy.

I'm only too aware how much work goes into rolling stock like yours.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ahh yes, the old 'all you need is two wires' thing again! Looks like you had fun connecting up those'two' wires there Argos!

Seriously though, very neat and I'm sure all will be fine at the show. Looking forward to seeing it in the timber so to speak, after watching the layout develop on here.

Now where did I put me copy of the countdown music...............

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Hopefully by the 9th December there will less timber and more model!

Do say "hello" if you come along.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

Keeping it all colour coded helps with fault finding and I'm hoping keeping it neat will prevent errant wires getting snagged and disconected whilst moving and setting up the layout for exhibitions.

I suspect that risk will never be fully removed though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having posted in post #185 (above) that I was planning to  use BR locomotives at the Poynton show, and diesels at that, I felt a bit deflated.

I've always felt 2mm finescale modelling should be about more than just re-wheeling Dapol and Farish stock and here I was doing just that, and then, to compound the sin, using them on what is supposed to be a firmly pre-grouping layout.

Suitably chastened I've got my head down and some suitable period motive power is taking shape.

post-13616-0-33727100-1511031495.jpg

This is a Caley 439 tank from a Worsley Works scratch aid kit.

I've still to sort the chassis fully but wheel and motor clearances are sorted.

These issues killed off the previous build, in hind sight this was a positive as I think I've made a better job of this build.

hopefully the build won't be too much of a distraction from the rest of the layout preparations.

The Diesels will still be used as I will need more than one piece of motive power, however my conscience will be clear if I can get at least one piece of appropriate motive power running.

Edited by Argos

• RMweb Gold

I know I'm jumping around a bit at the moment, but such is the nature of getting Glencruitten ready for the Poynton Model show.

I thought I'd post up progress with the rolling stock.

Firstly all the R-T-R wagons have been re-wheeled and couplings fitted:-

post-13616-0-40662800-1511301291.jpg

I'm using Microtrains couplings (Kadees for 2mm).

I appreciate these are not commonly used in 2mm finescale and do look slightly incongruous on pre-grouping rolling stock but I find them no more intrusive than DGs or Sprat and Winkles.

To be honest, I like them because - They work - They are simple to set up and they can be made to work remotely.

Oh....and I bought 50 pairs from the States in a sale prior to the pound nose diving.

seven wagons is not going to be enough to keep operations entertaining during the show so I need to expand the roster.

so currently under construction:-

post-13616-0-18469400-1511301553_thumb.jpg

The recent builds are the 3d printed bodies at the back:-

post-13616-0-13387200-1511301627_thumb.jpg

The two dumb buffered PO wagons are probably pushing a bit in 1917 but they would still be around north of the border. The 2plk wagons are LNWR D2s 15' 6" and 16' respectively, all need springs, axle boxes, brakes and in the case of the later two wagons buffers, then it's off to the paint shop.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I've not been to the Warley exhibition for a few years as it normally clashes with an early Christmas evening out in the Dales with friends.

This year we've postponed to February, but rather than go to Warley I decided I should start attacking the scenery.

The day started with the layout combining the features of an MDF desert with a scenic rendition of Bleath Gill (Care of Mad McCann).

post-13616-0-11879600-1511732252.jpg

A couple of hours later, after applying some of Mike Confalone's ground gloop (in this case a mixture of brown emulsion paint, plaster and Sculptamold) which gives a strong, firm and tough cover.

post-13616-0-02231100-1511732542.jpg

I've also cut down and embedded some rock face plaster castings the create the cutting that forms the exit to the fiddleyard. 

The camera has flattened out some of the more subtle contours but hopefully you get the idea.

So I've now got a rendition of the Somme.

post-13616-0-04453300-1511732710.jpg

i may even get chance to get some grass and vegetation down.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Tuesday evening and work on the layout is going well.

"Dad have you seen the scissors" asks son.

" No, what do you need them for".

"I need to cut this A4 paper into a square for my art homework".

A couple of minutes later, whilst rummaging through the kitchen drawers son walks in brandishing my scalpel from my workbench. 

"This'll do" he says and goes to cut the paper freehand on the chopping board.

"Don't" says I, "You'll slip and cut yourself."

So I grab a thin card backed book to act a straight edge and make a sweeping cut, only to slip and slice the scalpel in a gouge an inch long down my index finger.

Any sympathy emanating from son was cunningly disguised by the fact he was rolling on the floor in hysterics.  :lol:  :lol: .

I did get a hug later so I'll let him off.

It did mean a slow down of progress on the layout at a crucial phase though.

Still finger is now healng and progress is being made.

I've not really had chance to play with the layout and in the first operating this afternoon the running was appalling.

After attacking some of the track with a soldering iron and files it has improved, I'm still not happy but at least it runs reasonably well.

I need to keep going through next week and hopefully iron out the remaining roughness.

The fiddle yard is now fully operational, with a 3.5mm Jack plug transferring power to the turntable.

post-13616-0-27749900-1512334924.jpg

Elsewhere the Airship shed carcass has been rebuilt. The original ply version had warped and twisted.

Hopefully I'll get chance to get the roof on, and maybe even some of the corrugated iron cladding before the week end.

post-13616-0-50167000-1512335038.jpg

I've also built the electricity generating house to help justify some of the traffic flows.

It is based on a photo of the generating house at Howden. Unusually it is brick built. Most of the buildings on the bases were built out of a steel frame covered with corrugated iron.

The photo I have is not particularly sharp so proved impossible to scale.

In the end I just measured the space available and pro-rataed the dimensions to match.

I'm quite chuffed as it looks pretty close, the windows scaled out as a close match for some etched ratio engine shed windows.

The chimney at Howden was circular, I've used a ratio kit for speed which is square section but it seems to fit the bill.

post-13616-0-25385700-1512336190.jpg

Finally, as the Christmas party season is upon us I've getting ready:-

post-13616-0-40827700-1512336270.jpg

I was out of cheese and pineapple.......

Edited by Argos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I know that feeling from the scalpel from painful memory   :cry:

how do you intend to make the corrugated iron ?  my experience with the ratio sheets is they are too  thick  although some experiments using them as a template for card and a craft dye press is slightly better but still to my eye  over scale   :dontknow:   and I will need a awful lot for line No16

Nick

• Like 2