Mk 2 coach conversion options

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to LHCS, sorry! I've been picking up some Hornby mk2e's on that internet auction site over the past few months, but i'm now looking for a bit of diversity in my rake and thoughts are turning to mk2c's and 2d's. The specific coaches i'd like in the rake are...

mk2c BFK - inspired by one such coach on P4 New Street, a Bachmann mk2a BFK with an Airfix mk2d end grafted on to get the correct wrap-around door perhaps? Roof and underframe mods would also be required I believe, but what might they be exactly?

mk2d TSO - what's the best way to model one? Could the Airfix/Dapol mk2d be hacked about enough to look respectable in a rake with my Hornby mk2e's? Or should I be looking at using a Hornby 2e and swapping the toilet windows around to 2d configuration?

mk2d BSO - ditto! 

Perhaps the LHCS scholars here on RMweb might be able to give some pointers or other ways of tackling these coaches? There are some fine examples on the forum which have been very inspirational so far!

Thanks for reading

You should be able to file the door details on the end of a Mk2A BFK to turn it into a Mk2C. I'm not sure if the underframes are different, but you'll need to change the roof vents and add a roof hatch. For GM roof vents you can try Southern Pride, or for Roe Vac there are some available from Shapeways. The roof hatch is available from Southern Pride as well. I think the Mk2D/E version is the correct one.

A lot of people really like the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby Mk2D. Certainly for its time it was an excellent effort. I'm of the opinion the Hornby new tooling Mk2E is better in terms of general body shape, but its vents are rubbish and it has that solebar which is very visible on blue/grey coaches and really needs sorting in my opinion. If you're going to be hacking coaches about anyway I'd probably start with the Mk2E. In terms of detailing it depends on how mental you want to go with it. The windows can be replaced with better ones from Shawplan. Vents can be replaced with the same Roe Vac ones from Shapeways. 

Short of bump strips on the doors and running numbers I don't think there are any major differences between the Mk2D and the Mk2E BSO. Detailing options would be the same as for the TSO. 

(Incientally if you're interested in other Mk2B or Mk2C variants Ermine Models has started doing some very excellent etched sides to be used on Hornby Mk2E coaches. No affiliation other than a happy customer:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107085-ermine-models-mk2c-etched-sides/

http://www.erminemodels.co.uk/ )

Happy modelling. 

I am making 2E TSOs from Airfix 2D TSOs

Still a good model

I think the deciding factor for me will be what matches the Bachmann Mk2 body profile best, and from trawling through old threads and some useful side-by-side comparison shots, I think i'm settled on the Hornby 2e's, both to retain as 2e's and to convert to 2d's.

• RMweb Premium

I think the deciding factor for me will be what matches the Bachmann Mk2 body profile best, and from trawling through old threads and some useful side-by-side comparison shots, I think i'm settled on the Hornby 2e's, both to retain as 2e's and to convert to 2d's.

Too much work on top of the £25 or so, whereas you can get Airfix 2D cheap (or in my case I already have a big pile of them)

Too much work on top of the £25 or so, whereas you can get Airfix 2D cheap (or in my case I already have a big pile of them)

They're not that cheap these days, and Hornby Mk2Es can sometimes be had very cheap indeed. I picked up some InterCity TSOs from Model Railways Direct a week or two back for £12.49 each.

Anyway to the OP last night I came across this excellent and seemingly simple guide to get rid of the solebar, about half way down the page:

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-31-umt/index.htm

Happy modelling.

As said above, Hornby 2e's aren't proving hard to track down in the circa £15 price bracket - picked up my first two online this evening in fact. 

Too much work? With the Airfix 2d i'd be looking at re-working the glazing, sorting out the corridor gangways, and re-profiling the tumblehome, with no guarantee of getting something to match the profile of my Bachmann 2a/2c conversion. With the 2e-to-2d conversion, the only significant 'engineering' is filling one toilet window and opening one out on the opposite side - i'm happier with that I think :) 

Anyway to the OP last night I came across this excellent and seemingly simple guide to get rid of the solebar, about half way down the page:

Happy modelling.

Good find! I'll be using that I think 

• RMweb Premium

They're not that cheap these days, and Hornby Mk2Es can sometimes be had very cheap indeed. I picked up some InterCity TSOs from Model Railways Direct a week or two back for £12.49 each.

Happy modelling.

That is cheap

• RMweb Premium

As said above, Hornby 2e's aren't proving hard to track down in the circa £15 price bracket - picked up my first two online this evening in fact. 

Too much work? With the Airfix 2d i'd be looking at re-working the glazing, sorting out the corridor gangways, and re-profiling the tumblehome, with no guarantee of getting something to match the profile of my Bachmann 2a/2c conversion. With the 2e-to-2d conversion, the only significant 'engineering' is filling one toilet window and opening one out on the opposite side - i'm happier with that I think :)

Good find! I'll be using that I think 

Mine are being rounded off, but you need to fit new frames and glazing to the Hornby 2Es also as they are slightly under scale.

Anyway still have 5 2D TSOs for surgery, 2 to join my ER set and the others not sure.

I am having to fit Laserglaze and frames to all my Aorcon mark 2s

Mine are being rounded off, but you need to fit new frames and glazing to the Hornby 2Es also as they are slightly under scale.

Anyway still have 5 2D TSOs for surgery, 2 to join my ER set and the others not sure.

I am having to fit Laserglaze and frames to all my Aorcon mark 2s

I had a flick through the chatter regarding windows on the Hornby 2e thread. I do agree that opening out the windows to the correct size, EE frames and laserglaze do all improve the look of the coach and the way in which the liveries sit in relation to the windows.

That said, given I've never done such work before, I think I'd rather stick with the as-sold incorrect but ultra-thin, perfectly moulded and aligned Hornby frames, than make a botched job of fitting etched frames, with then sitting too far off the coach sides due to too much glue/varnish etc.

Plus, those etches and laserglaze don't come cheap...I'd rather save the money and spend it on another bargain Hornby 2e

Archived