Shapeways High Detail Acrylate / HDA

• RMweb Premium

What about PLA printouts? I don't mean for quality but life. I heard they will biodegrade in a decade or so.

PLA, or at least some forms of it, will biodegrade given the right composting conditions. I believe you will need moisture and warmth and if you search the internet you will only see composting times quoted for large-scale commercial composting systems. If you stick the stuff in your home compost heap it's very unclear how long it will take to break down, probably a long time.

Assuming you are not going to throw your models in the compost bin or expose them to particular enzymes and that they are painted and kept in your nice dry railway room they should be around for quite a while.

Cheers

Dave

From  the video the limiting factors really are the size limits in terms of total space, at a size restriction of about the size of a large smartphone it  isn't suited to 4mm items potentially. The support material iirc is printed much thinner so it is brittle and should snap off (this is how it is done on most 3D printers usually iirc).

Looking at all the examples shown so far, and relating to what I do, I'm thinking that this might be suitable for one piece van bodies, or similar shapes such as Diesel/electric loco bodies etc.

I'm wondering which way van bodies would print better, with either floor, or roof (or false roof) included.

Watching with interest, and depending on results people report from the first batches to come back, might get a couple of vans done.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Looking at all the examples shown so far, and relating to what I do, I'm thinking that this might be suitable for one piece van bodies, or similar shapes such as Diesel/electric loco bodies etc.

I'm wondering which way van bodies would print better, with either floor, or roof (or false roof) included.

Watching with interest, and depending on results people report from the first batches to come back, might get a couple of vans done.

Cheers,

Eddie.

You would be best having it with the roof integral perhaps as then any clean up for the support material will be internal and thus not visible.

At present unless a Diesel/electric loco body is about the size of a 08 or smaller it can't be done as the limit is roughly the size of a smartphone case (the one shown in the video looks to be about a 5", possibly 5.5" case). But it is seemingly a case that they'll increase limits as they get more used to it and that theres the demand there for them to spend the money on bigger machines. Basically they've said they'll only introduce it as a mainstream material in bigger footprint sizes if it proves popular enough to be financially viable. So if too many people say 'I prefer FUD/FXD' then HDA will be a non-starter, but they'll develop and improve it further if they get enough interest, which is fair enough.

You would be best having it with the roof integral perhaps as then any clean up for the support material will be internal and thus not visible.

At present unless a Diesel/electric loco body is about the size of a 08 or smaller it can't be done as the limit is roughly the size of a smartphone case (the one shown in the video looks to be about a 5", possibly 5.5" case). But it is seemingly a case that they'll increase limits as they get more used to it and that theres the demand there for them to spend the money on bigger machines. Basically they've said they'll only introduce it as a mainstream material in bigger footprint sizes if it proves popular enough to be financially viable. So if too many people say 'I prefer FUD/FXD' then HDA will be a non-starter, but they'll develop and improve it further if they get enough interest, which is fair enough.

Hi Kelly.

Sorry, I was thinking in 2mm scale.

Cheers

Eddie.

with all these new plastics coming on board, suggest designs use each for its best qualities. Fine detail, then use this or FUD, but if strength is an issue and detail is not required look at using cheaper materials such as WSF. Then combining with other new technologies such as laser cutting/engraving and silhouette cutting. 

Maybe one day it will be possible to design models that use a combination of processes, and you don't have to put it together.

The best part is - it's cheaper than FUD!

Only if a file will print without multiple parts, so '1' item. They apparently can manage some sprues but many things are being rejected at the moment. Will have to give it time to truly know.

Sweet that helped a bit. Thanks for sharing.

Vid gives advice on what sprues work around the 19 minute mark onwards.

So my question is; will they manage one of my loco chassis? I think they may be a challenge. Order already placed for one anyway so we will see.

I've ordered something in this new material and assuming it can be done  (the website says it can be) I'll post photos. But please no holding your breath. I ordered in on 2 April, but so far it hasn't even been checked never mind gone to production.

Dean

I would think that there are probably quite a few models in the queue waiting to be processed as many would be trying out the new material..

The status shown on website I assume is correct, as I have often had to keep an eye on models I am having produced. Sometimes I suspect some do find their way into machines which are taking longer, I am waiting on one item at the moment, with the other items in packing, Process times this week seem to have been very fast otherwise, as orders were only made at weekend, and expected finish day is today.

Got that update we all want.

Shapeways emailed me. They are going to refund me as one of the prints snapped at the sprues. I have asked them to send it me anyway but I'm waiting to see what they say incase they dont want to or they binned it already.

I can remodel the step and broke bits so no worries, the million nibs on the underside are where the support material has been cut off so they will need a bit of filing smooth, the only major issue to me is the running plate which wins the reverse curve prize award! Maybe hot water or a lighter will be needed.

Overall it looks smooth but the firebox has obvious stepping. Nothing a bit of knux magic can't fix though. Here is the pic they sent me of the new FR K2 Freelance Variant V4...

Screenshot_2016-04-08-22-18-16.png

Whether I will have it in my hands or not is yet to be seen. What thinkest ye??

I'm thinking if I 'Reeeaally must' remove the sprues like they want thrn it won't be any cheaper than FUD due to the cost per part rule. Also if the running plates will always turn out like a slalom course then...yeah!

I'm interested to know what you are collectively thinking. :)

Edited by Knuckles

The body looks good, bending aside.

The sprue issue is a quandary really. You could I guess model the buffers as part of the body, and figure out a way to do what I assume is a smokebox door attached somehow? perhaps a thicker 'sprue' that can be filed back?

• Like 1

I can fix them on yeah but there are good reasons I like them seperate. Also the reverse rod and guard irons are sprued on too. I could do a special version if there is demand where it is all 'built' and more likely to print without error but the last 3 items may still need to be fitted after. It's a tough one indeed!

Edit, got another email - They already binned it! They don't want to post it due to quality control and the fact the design is copyrighted as mine. Ok fair enough, shame though as I could have still used it.

The chassis will probably fail in HDA too then seeing as it is more complex.

Edit 2: Somehow the chassis with all its long thin areas and sprues HAS passed and is in the packing stage!

What gives, lol. Well, Guess I'll be showing you that in due time then. My question now is; if the chassis are passing should we upload a brand new file so as to not risk loosing print success rate on the main file if a HDA print fails and forces us to reupload the file? I'm thinking so, might make things a wee cluttered but might be safer. Some FUD/FXD uploads on SCC are seperate to the WSF/BSF in order to retain certain details and finer geometry. Running plate lips etc.

Edited by Knuckles

Got that update we all want.

Shapeways emailed me. They are going to refund me as one of the prints snapped at the sprues. I have asked them to send it me anyway but I'm waiting to see what they say incase they dont want to or they binned it already.

I can remodel the step and broke bits so no worries, the million nibs on the underside are where the support material has been cut off so they will need a bit of filing smooth, the only major issue to me is the running plate which wins the reverse curve prize award! Maybe hot water or a lighter will be needed.

Overall it looks smooth but the firebox has obvious stepping. Nothing a bit of knux magic can't fix though. Here is the pic they sent me of the new FR K2 Freelance Variant V4...

Screenshot_2016-04-08-22-18-16.png

Whether I will have it in my hands or not is yet to be seen. What thinkest ye??

I'm thinking if I 'Reeeaally must' remove the sprues like they want thrn it won't be any cheaper than FUD due to the cost per part rule. Also if the running plates will always turn out like a slalom course then...yeah!

I'm interested to know what you are collectively thinking. :)

1) Wobbly footplates don't bother me. I do designing for folks in the Indian sub-continent and all those locos have a wobbly footplate...So is it good or bad???

2) I honestly didn't expect to see stepping. I saw a N gauge 3D print that had no stepping whatsoever. So that is a bit disappointing.

3) Overall it looks nice, if I were you I'd have the buffers, smokebox door etc. printed in FUD/FXD.