Slag from British steel work

Noch 15959

$_12.JPG[/quote

I've racked my brains to include a cameo with those naughty ladies, but nothing came to mind that was explainable should my daughters point it out....

a Kylie Minogue concert!

• Like 2

Slag travelling in open wagons - i.e. not the powdered product - is possibly going for use as roadstone. There was a slag-to-tarmacadam plant at Frodingham in the 1930s, and it's probably still in operation, although nowadays the stone would probably be shipped without the bitumen. Therefore, any material that represents fine-screen stone would do it. One would have to find out the colour when it is not covered in tar.

That was/is Eccles Slag of Scunthorpe.  On the main roads in Lincolnshire in the 1960s we used to see lorries of it many times a day passing by en-route to various road dressing sites in Eastern England . The lorries had "Slag Makes Good Roads" in large letter along the length of the tipplers.

I have tried to find a photo of a loaded lorry or train, but they didn't appear to be the subject of photographers.

I would imagine that mixed grades of grey ballast ( i.e. maybe mix a 2mm and 4mm ballast pack together) would be a close approximation.

Edited, to add that I found this on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/142932505@N07/26879829711/in/photolist-GXh9TR-ccbunU-2fe8zx-gTaYkh-6iVgdw-aeuugD-gTb2B7-cebALf-4DhJ4N-cRyXwL-bUPgtP-bWPdJe-gZNYHu-gTaZgW-9kFMj2-cxZcpW-9e6xRz-dRwJ8W-adPfQu-owGyRt-6bo2ZM-oF5SrY-oF1BGc-bRXHHe-px9E2f-dMdQ9u-at2g5M-8FgzxU-aYHFAD-dPW6Mu-6iVgdN-8VhTa6-9bYEAH-fkpnnP-ehLgDY-gTaZ3j-fbeL6V-akMa2G-nAfiqn-5YrSue-7v5dxu-dMDqwr-dL7MYb-84Sf3F-6iVgdC-q42sgM-6wodnQ-fGxQJW-gTaTe3-J7BjA

It looks about right.

Edited by jonny777

Cupola furnace slag tends to be high in limestone because Cupolas remelt pig iron which contains relatively little in the way of impurities, unlike the ore smelted in blast furnaces which can be more than 50% impurity. Consequently the slag contains all sorts of stuff.

I've posted this before, part of Clustons slag operations at Appleby Frodingham. The loading of crushed and graded slag for railway ballast.

post-6861-0-38373400-1469526645.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm surprised how high those wagons are loaded - looks like a spillage waiting to happen

The 'Dogfish' used for slag ballast traffic were fitted with 'greedy boards' so they could load to their permitted weight. see here:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish/h2f8bebdb#h2f8bebdb

Several works in South Wales actually 'cast' their slag in moulds to make rectangular blocks; the lineside wall around the West Curve at Landore, as far as Cockett Tunnel is partially made of these. Even bigger blocks were used as rock armour protecting the sea wall between Llanelli and Burry Port.

That was/is Eccles Slag of Scunthorpe. On the main roads in Lincolnshire in the 1960s we used to see lorries of it many times a day passing by en-route to various road dressing sites in Eastern England . The lorries had "Slag Makes Good Roads" in large letter along the length of the tipplers.

I have tried to find a photo of a loaded lorry or train, but they didn't appear to be the subject of photographers.

I would imagine that mixed grades of grey ballast ( i.e. maybe mix a 2mm and 4mm ballast pack together) would be a close approximation.

Edited, to add that I found this on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/142932505@N07/26879829711/in/photolist-GXh9TR-ccbunU-2fe8zx-gTaYkh-6iVgdw-aeuugD-gTb2B7-cebALf-4DhJ4N-cRyXwL-bUPgtP-bWPdJe-gZNYHu-gTaZgW-9kFMj2-cxZcpW-9e6xRz-dRwJ8W-adPfQu-owGyRt-6bo2ZM-oF5SrY-oF1BGc-bRXHHe-px9E2f-dMdQ9u-at2g5M-8FgzxU-aYHFAD-dPW6Mu-6iVgdN-8VhTa6-9bYEAH-fkpnnP-ehLgDY-gTaZ3j-fbeL6V-akMa2G-nAfiqn-5YrSue-7v5dxu-dMDqwr-dL7MYb-84Sf3F-6iVgdC-q42sgM-6wodnQ-fGxQJW-gTaTe3-J7BjA

It looks about right.

Thank you I will buy 2mm and 4mm grey ballast BUT which light or dark please thank you and fine or medium or coarse ballast by which one please Edited by class37418stag

Hello everyone

Which ballast of fine or medium or coarse and which light or dark grey for carry ingot mould wagon ?

And

Brown iron ore for carry ingot mould or BSC or tippler ore wagon ?

Thank you

The ballast used on the ones that worked from BSC Landore was local Carboniferous Limestone, which used to be the omnipresent ballast in South Wales; a fairly light colour, with a blueish tinge.

As for iron ore- it comes in a variety of colours, depending on the iron content and where it was mined. This Google view of the imported ore stockpile at Tata's Port Talbot works will show what I mean:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Abbey+Works,+Port+Talbot+SA13+2PH/@51.5782854,-3.791123,583m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486e66780e2b2e2b:0xcaa61108f97c51c9!8m2!3d51.5402337!4d-3.7431075?hl=en

• 1 year later...

Slag is LIGHT grey, almost white, once it's been processed for road making and ballast. The process is called foam slagging, and leads to the production of a fairly brittle whitish stone with lots of holes in it, like hard sponge.

There is still a foam slag plant here in town. It used to be transported in tipper trucks too on the roads, the side panels bore the words: SLAG    MAKES    GOOD    ROADS.

Un-processed slag is darker grey, with brownish tinges.

HTH

• RMweb Gold

Depends what it is going to be used for. Slag for adding to cement during manufacturing would be finely ground and conveyed in Vee-tanks of the sort used for finished cement. Slag that had been crushed for fill, such as the 2 million or so tons brother-in-law bought for a project in Cardiff, could be represented by fine sand.

Bloody 'ell! How big is your brother-in-law's layout!

Bloody 'ell! How big is your brother-in-law's layout!

It was some sort of pumping station or similar, towards the eastern edge of the Cardiff Bay area. Amazingly, even after moving that much, there's still a lot on site at Llanwern, though that'll probably end up on the new bit of motorway bypassing Maesglas.

Hello everyone

Longer time by no response to answer so if I buy 2mm and 4mm dark grey ballast will carry from Hornby ingot mould wagon

Please give me a answer

Thank you

I don't think it matters about the size. 

After all, it is your layout. Are you really that worried about someone coming along and saying "your slag is not the correct size?". 

It was some sort of pumping station or similar, towards the eastern edge of the Cardiff Bay area. Amazingly, even after moving that much, there's still a lot on site at Llanwern, though that'll probably end up on the new bit of motorway bypassing Maesglas.

It was the east Cardiff sewage works on land which was partially reclaimed from the sea. It's just to the east of the Celsa steelworks but on the other side of the road.

You know, I'm going to stop helping this guy.

I know English isn't his first language, but he comes on with quite abrupt requests, gets annoyed when we don't understand his English and NEVER thanks anyone, nor comes on and says, yes, that's it.

Cut Andrew some slack.

You don’t know him, nor why he phrases his posts the way he does,

It is not intentional rudeness.

Well if yoiu do, perhaps you could enlighten us?

Yep, like a stone sponge. The fresh stuff is quite pale, but, being porous, it absorbs muck.

The process here is known as "foam slagging" to produce that stuff. Previous to that, it was just tipped onto slag banks by short trains of what were termed slag ladles.

The periodic orange glow in the skies above our town, when this was done, led to the motto beneath our coat of arms, "Refulget labores nostros coelum" (The heavens reflect our labours).