Terrier Pictures

Given that Stroudley's Terriers now have their own sub-forum, I thought it only fitting to introduce a thread in which images of Terrier locomotives, both preserved and and past, can be shared.

So, to get the ball rolling...

A1X 32678 stabled at Rolvenden, on the Kent & East Sussex Railway, 29/03/2016

post-20657-0-10080700-1459508604_thumb.jpg

Also on shed, A1X 32670, 29/03/2016

post-20657-0-97348900-1459508637_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

I need colour photos of both K&ESR ones in 1905, before my head explodes trying to work out what they looked like. Don't think there's much likelihood though!

John,

As you say, very unlikely.

If it's of any help Britains Railway Liveries 1825 - 1948 by Ernest F Carter states;-

1905 The ex-London, Brighton and South Coast Railway "Terrier",  No 671 was painted blue (24) with red lining and re-named "Rolvendon", No 5 (The only other engine referred to in the book at that date was No 4, which was similarly blue with red lining)

1908 "Terriers were repainted dark blue (24)

1914 Locomotives were dark blue, lined out in white, black and vermillion.

Probably no more than you knew anyway, the reference to (24) is a colour chart at the back of the book which puts the blue as similar to GER blue.

There's also a list of any Pre-Grouping colour plates that had been published in the Railway Magazine and the Locomotive Magazine, there are no K E S R loco's listed, so again it looks unlikely you will find colour photo's.

My guess is to paint it blue, line it red and let anyone tell you otherwise, as it's extremely unlikely they will be able to prove any different!

Peter

A not terribly good photo of Waddon at Exporail Canadian Railway Museum, Delson, Quebec in September 2011. It was in a large storage shed (with the Dominion of Canada behind it, which was pretty rough. It was just before it came back to the UK and was tarted up before it went back) which although is part of the museum, it is just a storage shed rather than the fancy new museum. It means that its not well sited for a good photo sadly.

post-23087-0-09141800-1459877418_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's nice to see a recent picture, and at least Waddon looks to be in reasonable cosmetic condition. I had heard there had been an effort to spruce 'him' up, but I gather that might not have gone below the surface so the internals might be in a poor state.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Carter was almost right - the KESR had 2 Terriers - 70 Poplar, which become No. 3 Bodiam (still with us) and 71, Wapping, which became No.5 Rolvenden - both were painted blue, lined red when delivered, variously described as Oxford Blue and GER Blue - I am assuming that Dapol have got it right!

At that time No 4 was the Pickering steam railcar (later No 16 in the carriage list) but that was brown and cream livery

cheers

Richardpost-12271-0-43395600-1464704835_thumb.jpg

Whoops

My mistake - No.4 was the eight coupled "Hecate" and would have been blue! The Pickering railcar was originally No.16 in the carriage list and then No.6 in the loco list.

Surprised nobody picked up my mistake before I did!

Cheers

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A group of great shots have just been added to the photo-sharing site that I use - http://www.ipernity.com/doc/polyrus/42300726 and a couple of neighbouring slides. 

Not all firewalls like ipernity - compatibility rather than content seems to be the issue, I think. Norton seems to have a problem with it, a friend tells me.

• 1 month later...

Archived