Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

I've just edited Post #1 slightly for Family reasons, as Dad was Stationed St Merryn Fleet Air Arm during the War. Also as Ed pointed out a connection to Padstow would be good as well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tremerryn Quay (or just Tremerryn as its know locally) is a fictitious small BLT set in Camel Estuary between Wadebridge and Padstow but built by the GWR.  The line comes off the Main Line to Newquay at St Columb Rd and passes St Columb Major before turning North. It also serves the RAF St Merryn as Traffic has to revers at Tremrryn to access the RAF Station with Traffic for the MOD including Troop Traffic.

Other Traffic will include a small amount of China Clay Traffic from Wenford Bridge via Pencarne, plus Fish, Coal and General Produce. Holiday Traffic keeps the Passenger side busy enough. It also has a connection to Padstow on LSWR.

It's 5ft 7inches x 1ft with an 18 inch fold out Fiddle Yard extension so that it fits into the Car, although the Water for the Harbour adds another 3 inches to the width at the F/Y end.

Control is DCC via my Gaugemaster Prodigy 2, with Code 75 Finescale Track and Solenoid Point operation.

There will be no need for a Track Plan as the pics below will show the idea, although the Buildings are temporarily BORROWED from Pencarne.

I hope to have it ready for our Clubs Open Weekend in December.

attachicon.gifTremawgan (1).JPG

attachicon.gifTremawgan (2).JPG

attachicon.gifTremawgan (3).JPG

attachicon.gifTremawgan Map.png

Hi Andy

Is it Trewenn by the sea? :yes: Built by December, it would have been rebuilt, renamed, restocked and reverted back at least 3 times by December.  ;) 

No I am not going to follow this one, had you said it was West Mersea and been stocked with a J15, a D16, a Derby Lightweight, a class 15 etc then yes I would follow. :derisive:

• Like 1

Looks an interesting project Andy will watch with interest.

Hugh

Yikes, another layout!

Still in the process of trying to finish the first one, best of luck on this one Andy.

Will watch with interest.

Regards Jeff

I like the concept.

Yet another of your layouts to follow and hope to see it in the flesh in December

What about the connecting line to the ex-LSW Padstow line?

Ed

Looks an interesting project Andy. As someone who is in the process of building a quayside layout I will follow with interest.

Thanks Guys, I just changed the name to Porth Merryn from Tremerryn. I much prefer that and it fits in well as a fishing Harbour.

• Like 3

Hi Andy

Is it Trewenn by the sea? :yes: Built by December, it would have been rebuilt, renamed, restocked and reverted back at least 3 times by December.  ;)

No I am not going to follow this one, had you said it was West Mersea and been stocked with a J15, a D16, a Derby Lightweight, a class 15 etc then yes I would follow. :derisive:

Well you got ONE BIT RIGHT mate, hahahha

Lovely idea Andy, I look forward to watching you progress, wouldn't I be nice if you could link Porth Merryn to Pencarne?

Kind regards,

Nick.

Cheers Nick, It will have Traffic Flows from Pencarne, but its got to be free standing, certainly at the moment as North Road is in the way for further development on that side of the Old Potting Shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Nick, It will have Traffic Flows from Pencarne, but its got to be free standing, certainly at the moment as North Road is in the way for further development on that side of the Old Potting Shed.

Sounds good Andy, looking forward to it.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

To get the airfield back story right - it was Fleet Air Arm, so never RAF St Merryn, but RNAS (Royal Naval Air Station) St Merryn from 1940.  And being naval, it also had a ship's name - HMS Vulture.  Closed for military use in 1956.

I could pretend I knew all this being an ex-Naval chap, but have to credit Wikipedia for the details!  Just knew RAF and FAA didn't go together .....

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Andy

To get the airfield back story right - it was Fleet Air Arm, so never RAF St Merryn, but RNAS (Royal Naval Air Station) St Merryn from 1940.  And being naval, it also had a ship's name - HMS Vulture.  Closed for military use in 1956.

I could pretend I knew all this being an ex-Naval chap, but have to credit Wikipedia for the details!  Just knew RAF and FAA didn't go together .....

Cheers

Chris

Hi Andy and Chris

Second name change at it is only day one. :O :o :swoon:

Andy

Cheers

Chris

Yes thanks Chris, I realised I had made a foo par and had actually changed it in Post '#1 before your post.

Cheers for keeping an eye on me..

Some closer up type pics of the Baseboards, basic 9mm Ply top with a 3'' batten side for clearance for Point Motors. And a white faced MDF Back Scene Board with some Ford Olympic Blue added for the Sky.

It also shows the Folding Fiddle Yard to enable it to go into the Car.

post-9335-0-20468000-1459706764_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-74160100-1459706783_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-22920000-1459706802_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06544300-1459706818_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02641100-1459706842_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Nice bit of work there Andy. I like the 'flap' fiddle yard, really good idea.

Currently I'm thinking of making a small LSWR project as getting all of Horrabridge up currently is a bit of a faff, but a small terminus might well work nicely. Food for thought.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

Nice bit of work there Andy. I like the 'flap' fiddle yard, really good idea.

Currently I'm thinking of making a small LSWR project as getting all of Horrabridge up currently is a bit of a faff, but a small terminus might well work nicely. Food for thought.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thanks Nick, this was inspired by but NOT a copy of the ideas Of John Flann's Port Bredy and Hintock Town Quay, small compact and interesting.

• Like 1

You just can't keep a good man down can you!! I really don't know where you get the energy or time for that matter. Poor old Dee must have forgotten what you look like. HaHaHa. I'm sure (know) it's going to be another cracker.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Premium

If my wife found out that I had three (3) layouts on the go in my train room she would have me committed.

I really do not know how you do it.

Like Clive I am anticipating a multitude of changes before December - at least it should be fun to watch the changes.