Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

After a traumatic set up last night, I must admit that we had a good first day at the Wimborne Model Railway Exhibition.

Its our first exhibition with the enlarged fiddle yard (which we made a year ago). The new yard means that we can have upto 4 trains on the layout at one time (compared to x2 in the old fiddle yard.

D87600D4-4145-4D68-A991-226C7C708849.jpeg

30C5AB45-A68A-4423-B129-5A7556537AD9.png

• Like 6

Great pics and happy memories of an enjoyable build, gland the new Fiddle Yard works well, that was it's only major drawback for Exhibition use.

Your Dad seems quite at home there.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A couple of more pics from yesterday, my Dad has quite a nice little collection of stock now for Porth Merryn. I think the Kernow Saddle Tank has to be my favourite, this model has a “stay alive fitted” and is so smooth. So much fun shunting wagons around.

27811C09-FAFC-4656-B42D-20941B390DD6.jpeg

7E8E44FA-F375-4E13-B691-C2E629CDE929.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Great pics and happy memories of an enjoyable build, gland the new Fiddle Yard works well, that was it's only major drawback for Exhibition use.

Your Dad seems quite at home there.

Andy, your little gem of a layout is certainly getting some use. In the block of flats were Mum and Dad lives everyone knows that Dad has a model railway in the spare room (Dens Den). Some of the other folk bring him steam train calendars and bits for the layout (the other day some chap bought him a oo gauge green lorry). He loves it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2019 at 23:26, Melangoose said:

The Saddle Tank doesn’t have sound (there wasn’t room to fit it with the stay alive.

Plenty of room in the cab if you hide it with the crew, more room than 009 and HOm :D

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel

I was just going through some back issues of RM and found the April 2017 issue with what was Andy Peters Port Merryn and remembered that your Dad was the new proud owner of this great creation by Andy.

I will see you next weekend as I believe your at Derby so a catch up and a natter. 

Please give your Dad my best wishes.

Terry  

• Like 1

Hi Terry,

Nice to hear from you.  Unfortunately will not be at Derby this year as Sue has broken her ankle (a week ago), and although it is getting better it wouldn’t be fair for me to disappear for the weekend. She is finding the crutches very frustrating as she can not carry anything (she will make a cup of coffee then can’t carry it to the table to sit down). I know that in this Parrish we all love our model railways but sometimes the family must come first.

Will try to get to Stafford exhibition next year to have a chat.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear of Sues mishap, please wish her well.

As you say perhaps we will catch up for a natter at Stafford next year if not before.

kind regards to the both of you.

Terry 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...

My Dad has been admitted to Hospital at the moment having various tests prior to a Heart Valve Operation.  

To keep his spirits up I have made a photo album of his trains on Porth Merryn and also Melangoose and Wyvern Road.  Getting the pictures together I came across this picture that I took a couple of months ago (his latest acquisition).  I know that Porth Merryn is based in Cornwall but this Lyme Regis train pack is just charming, and I suppose Dad does live in Dorset, so he can get away with it (kind of). 

8DD976CA-AD11-42FF-87D4-F8081EB11BA3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Great Photo Nigel, and why not, an Adams is a beautiful looking Loco and suits the Layout.

Please pass on my regards to your Dad and hope to see you both at a Show in the near future, and of course Porth Merryn.

Take care, and all the best.

Edited by Andrew P

Thanks for your kind comments and support.  Saw Dad last night at Hospital visiting, he is in good spirits.  He showed his favourite nurse (Amy) the photo album who burst out laughing and took it to the Nurses desk to show everyone.  It would appear that this photo of Dads Class 5 was the culprit with the “Hello Boys” advertisement on the back of the pub.  Glad that some people still retain a sense of humour and don’t take offence.

EDA5AA39-58F0-4709-ADE7-EFFE06353A1C.jpeg

• Like 10

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Went to the Brockenhurst Model Railway Exhibition today with Dad.  So nice to see so many familiar faces.  One of which was Andy P (who is already planning the next layout to build after his current one).  

53A98740-0F9B-4993-BDE8-6088F5BE2450.jpeg

Brilliant pic Nigel, your dad looks so well, and it was good to see you both again today.

As for the next Project, 😮 think Russel Bridge / Llanbourne North Wales. 🤓  👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...