Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

I'd like to know where you keep all these layouts. Name change; personally I like Port X although Porth X works OK. Before I changed scales, I always fancied Cornish layouts for sentimental reasons and one was to be Penwithy until I found out there was a Penwithers so I changed to Trewithy. There probably is a hamlet called that somewhere!

All these Cornish names really confuse Spellcheck!

Brian.

• Like 2

I'd like to know where you keep all these layouts. Name change; personally I like Port X although Porth X works OK. Before I changed scales, I always fancied Cornish layouts for sentimental reasons and one was to be Penwithy until I found out there was a Penwithers so I changed to Trewithy. There probably is a hamlet called that somewhere!

All these Cornish names really confuse Spellcheck!

Brian.

Hi Brian, Thanks for your input.

Pencarne is on the Left and around the bottom end for the Fiddle Yard.

North Road, is on the Right with the Fiddle Yard over the Work Bench.

Porth Merryn is currently on a pair of Trestles in the middle and can be moved either side to work on Pencarne or North Road.

West Shed is up at the Club Room just as Porth Merryn will be once finished.

Names are a personal thing and although I had some very good input with name suggestions I went with my heart as I wanted to use Merryn in it somehow for personal reasons, and it was a choice of Quay, Warf, Harbour, Port, but again I wanted something a little different, and there is Mawgan Porth and many others around Cornwall and  I like it.

• Like 3

Hi Andy,

It's looking really good to me, mate. I like the slight increase in width and the curvature, it flows well.

At least I now have an excuse for lack of progress, being slightly away from home!!!

What can I use as an excuse when I get home though!?!

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With the board now finished I can submit the final Plan, which I've also added to Post #1

attachicon.gifPorth Merryn.png

Hi Andy

When you relocate it to the Essex coast line where you have the cottages hiding the fiddle yard you could have Cockle Sheds. I nice J15 shunting some vans loaded with cockles and whelks ready to be transported to the East End and sold to the geezers in the rubber dubs patrons of the public houses, what a lovely scene it would make.

• Like 1

Andy's not happy with one layout, and he is at his best with loads going on, he will never change, and why should he, you go for it buddy its what keeps you going hahahahaha, might need a weathering masterclass on my BIG wagons next visit ?...

• Like 4

Looking good Andy. Have you an idea as to hide the layout will operate?

Hi Andy,

was it predictive Text?

late night?

or tipple of the Scotch?

Anyway mate if you mean hide the Fiddle Yard the will be a backscene behind the Cottages.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

It's looking really good to me, mate. I like the slight increase in width and the curvature, it flows well.

At least I now have an excuse for lack of progress, being slightly away from home!!!

What can I use as an excuse when I get home though!?!

Cheers,

John

Yes John, Holidays are all well and good but only if you take a Kit or two with you. George and I are expecting great things from you on your return to Blighty, hahahha.

• Like 1

Hi Andy

When you relocate it to the Essex coast line where you have the cottages hiding the fiddle yard you could have Cockle Sheds. I nice J15 shunting some vans loaded with cockles and whelks ready to be transported to the East End and sold to the geezers in the rubber dubs patrons of the public houses, what a lovely scene it would make.

Tell you what Clive, that sounds really good mate, YOU BUILD IT and bring it up to our Clubs open weekend in December, I'm sure we can fit you in out on the Common, hahhaha. :O

Hi Andy,

was it predictive Text?

late night?

or tipple of the Scotch?

Anyway mate if you mean hide the Fiddle Yard the will be a backscene behind the Cottages.

Cheers.

Just late night fatigue coupled with predictive text on the IPad. What I meant was - have you got an idea how the layout will operate, eg what train services / locomotives you will use on the model.

• Like 1

Andy's not happy with one layout, and he is at his best with loads going on, he will never change, and why should he, you go for it buddy its what keeps you going hahahahaha, might need a weathering masterclass on my BIG wagons next visit ?...

Cheers George, Yes its back to weathering in a mo, just a few wagons and a chance to try the new Air Brush. Then hopefully a bit on North Road later as I'm waiting for Cork for PM, then painting a Backscene for Peter BB on Swad Lane tonight at Club.

Just late night fatigue coupled with predictive text on the IPad. What I meant was - have you got an idea how the layout will operate, eg what train services / locomotives you will use on the model.

Morning Andy, I thought it might be that. It will be a Basic Service, with the Cards as per Pencarne, mainly Panniers and Prairies with the odd M7, 700 and T9 now and again, but for Exhibitions it will be predominantly Ex GWR. The Passenger side will be just the Autocoach or a 121 Diesel Unit.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Clive,

As someone who said that he wouldn't follow this thread ... you have posted more than anyone else!  On the other point (re: Andy comment) it would be great to see one of your layouts at the club.

Peter

• Like 1

The final plan you say.

I will believe that when I see it.

It's probably the final plan

(for the next 24 hours :D)

Are you two conspiring against me? hahhaha

Mind you I've just had another idea, off out to have a look. :O

I will be back :stinker: 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks like yet another classic plan.

I shall be following its course (or change in course) in the coming weeks (I mean days)

All the best mate

Terry

Looks like yet another classic plan.

I shall be following its course (or change in course) in the coming weeks (I mean days)

All the best mate

Terry

Thanks Terry,

It should be good, just got to get a lot done by December for its first outing at our Club. I have e-mailed it to Colin H.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Yesterday I picked up a pack of 2mm Cork Tiles from Wickes DIY, and using a Carpet Spray adhesive laid it all over the board. I was going to cut it to Track width and shape but as its a Yard and Quayside there would be no point. The Quayside will be covered in Cobbles around and between the Tracks anyway.

Not a lot to show for this afternoons work so no pics just yet.

The Platform has been shaped and new top fitted and it's also had the side walling fitted, I've used Peco walling that they sell to go with the Bridge and Tunnel Mouths. I've then coated the whole Platform and baseboard with a mix of Blackboard Paint and Cream Emulsion for a light Grey colour but mixed on the Board so that its not just one uniform colour. I'm just waiting for that to dry and then give it a second coat before going to Club later.

Tomorrow I should be able to remove the masking Tape from the Platform edging revealing a white edge, that will be toned down at a later date to more of a dirty white once I have marked in the Edging Stones.

I also have a new Station Building ready to go on once the Track has been laid and tested.

The Signals will be a pair of Dapol Lower Quadrant's and I need to fit the Trap Points as well.

Maybe some pics later.

• Like 4

Well I've managed more than expected since the coffee break, a second coat of paint has gone on and will, like the first dry a nice Matt Grey.

Here are some Scenic test shots, the Station Building will need re painting but it's all coming along nicely now, and I can see the final picture emerging. Things like the Water will be re done the correct colour later before the Wall goes in.

post-9335-0-30548500-1460046482_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-33197400-1460046561_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15828800-1460046581_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-53539700-1460046598_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-38774000-1460046613_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63680200-1460046631_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-32691500-1460046693_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-47876000-1460046719_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-93929700-1460046743_thumb.jpg

Next step, Track laying.

• Like 16