The Kings Cross Layout Mid 50's to Mid 60's

Alex_Clements@KX

• RMweb Premium

This is a mammoth undertaking Alex, the sort of project to get your teeth stuck into! Just the kind of layout  I enjoy too.

Is there room left for any number of operators up there, I'm sure you're going get requests from chaps on here to come round?

Regards Shaun.

This is a mammoth undertaking Alex, the sort of project to get your teeth stuck into! Just the kind of layout  I enjoy too.

Is there room left for any number of operators up there, I'm sure you're going get requests from chaps on here to come round?

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun. When we have a big running session there is about 10 people at once playing.

• RMweb Premium

The layout is 24ft X 12ft... One complete circuit on the outside loop is 70ft

That's quite comforting to know you squeezed it all in a space that size. My plan is bigger but the layout isn't so complex. I was beginning to question if it's all gonna fit and if my sanity was still intact!

Thanks Shaun. When we have a big running session there is about 10 people at once playing.

I bet it gets warm! You must have a big kettle too, Hahaha! :sungum:

That's quite comforting to know you squeezed it all in a space that size. My plan is bigger but the layout isn't so complex. I was beginning to question if it's all gonna fit and if my sanity was still intact!

I bet it gets warm! You must have a big kettle too, Hahaha! :sungum:

It's not to bad as we have the main running session over the Christmas period and also have roof windows for extra ventilation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Admired your work for along time Alex, i am building the Kings Cross Station area myself Blue era transition im afraid, I have searched everywhere but cannot locate a drawing or suitable photgraphs of the 1932 Signal Box, i follow your you tube channel and try to pick up ideas from it i admire your genius if you have a spare drawing or information on the dimensions it would help me alot with my quest.

• Like 2

Admired your work for along time Alex, i am building the Kings Cross Station area myself Blue era transition im afraid, I have searched everywhere but cannot locate a drawing or suitable photgraphs of the 1932 Signal Box, i follow your you tube channel and try to pick up ideas from it i admire your genius if you have a spare drawing or information on the dimensions it would help me alot with my quest.

Thanks very much. I'm on holiday ATM, but I think I do have have some measurements that you can have. I shall dig them out when I get back. My Kings Cross can also be in the BR Blue era, will be doing a running session in the future.

• RMweb Premium

I hate coldwater storage tanks. Much better to get rid of them altogether.

Alex, if you can fund it, get the boiler changed to a combi style one, lose those header tanks and have the boiler in the garage or another convenient downstairs place.

You will probably have to create another way to heat an airing cupboard if you have one but there are some really efficient timed electric heating gadgets one can use for that. 

It is almost worth doing on a credit card if the 'cost' is a bit steep up front. You can also ask your Insurance Company for a reduction in your premium due to lower risk of water damage from the roof tanks having some sort of 'incident'.

Oh yes, this layout is an amazing project and I am seriously envious of your work rate.

All the best,

Phil

Alex, if you can fund it, get the boiler changed to a combi style one, lose those header tanks and have the boiler in the garage or another convenient downstairs place.

You will probably have to create another way to heat an airing cupboard if you have one but there are some really efficient timed electric heating gadgets one can use for that. 

It is almost worth doing on a credit card if the 'cost' is a bit steep up front. You can also ask your Insurance Company for a reduction in your premium due to lower risk of water damage from the roof tanks having some sort of 'incident'.

Oh yes, this layout is an amazing project and I am seriously envious of your work rate.

All the best,

Phil

I wouldn't go for a combi, okay for a 1 bed property or if you've got great

water pressure and flow (the hotter you want your water, the slower it gets)

I had a combi for a while, real pain, plus too much hot water use in the

winter and the rads go cold!

You would be better off with an un-vented, high pressure cylinder, it'll go

in the airing cupboard where the copper cyl was, hot water always on tap

at the same pressure as the mains cold with no storage tanks needed.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't go for a combi, okay for a 1 bed property or if you've got great

water pressure and flow (the hotter you want your water, the slower it gets)

I had a combi for a while, real pain, plus too much hot water use in the

winter and the rads go cold!

You would be better off with an un-vented, high pressure cylinder, it'll go

in the airing cupboard where the copper cyl was, hot water always on tap

at the same pressure as the mains cold with no storage tanks needed.

Well I know nothing about this sort of thing but the Potterton Gold Combi HE we had put in last year is amazing. Four bed house with three rooms downstairs plus Conservatory. OK it only runs one bathroom but it is excellent and the pressure thing seems fine. Howeverm we are just two old geezers (see hat I did there) with occasional family visitors that use water like there was no tomorrow.

What Jeff suggests was never offered as an option by our plumber. I hope we haven't missed out? Sorry to go OT chaps

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

Well I know nothing about this sort of thing but the Potterton Gold Combi HE we had put in last year is amazing. Four bed house with three rooms downstairs plus Conservatory. OK it only runs one bathroom but it is excellent and the pressure thing seems fine. Howeverm we are just two old geezers (see hat I did there) with occasional family visitors that use water like there was no tomorrow.

What Jeff suggests was never offered as an option by our plumber. I hope we haven't missed out? Sorry to go OT chaps

Phil

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not changing the tanks again. They are no longer a problem.

Edited by Alex_Clements@KX