I'm currently in the early stages of modelling the SBB RABDE 502 Twindexx in N scale, and I was wondering if anyone else is interested if I were to put it up on Shapeways?

Here's some of my other work for reference: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109915-3d-printed-trains-victorian-vlocity-sydney-waratah-sncf-tgv/

RABDE 502: 

tn_ch-sbb-twindexxexpress-sbb.jpg

Update:

Cabs sent off to Shapeways for initial test print! Starting on carriages soon. (Note, this is the second class cab. First class is not shown but is being printed too)

160815_Render%201_zpsujuusq46.jpg

Work In Progress: 

160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_01_zpsjuo64   160924_Twindexx_N_no%20paint_02_zpsivwv2

Edited by bluemattersoda
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I am not familiar with the prototype but are you working from drawings? Comparing the photograph you have posted to the CAD suggests that the front end proportions might want a little more finessing.

To me the headlight clusters on the CAD look too narrow/tall and too close together, compared to the photograph of the actual unit, and the windscreen looks a little narrow too.

I appreciate this might be a parallax error or simply caused by distortion in reproduction but I know from experience that it is possible to get too "close" to a project and a second pair of eyes can sometimes help.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi there,

I am not familiar with the prototype but are you working from drawings? Comparing the photograph you have posted to the CAD suggests that the front end proportions might want a little more finessing.

To me the headlight clusters on the CAD look too narrow/tall and too close together, compared to the photograph of the actual unit, and the windscreen looks a little narrow too.

I appreciate this might be a parallax error or simply caused by distortion in reproduction but I know from experience that it is possible to get too "close" to a project and a second pair of eyes can sometimes help.

Cheers

Ben A.

You may be right Ben, it was very hard to get the front right. The frustrating thing is that I had several drawings from the internet and I used a front elevation to help with the front...I'm starting to think it was an early design sketch...

I may try again soon

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I've update the model as suggested by Ben A - please check out the thread over at 3D printing: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113998-sbb-twindexx-intercity-n-scale-spur-n-echelle-n/?p=2647678

Here are some images:

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20-%2001_zp

170311_Cab-Orbit_zpst3vyxns6.gif

And the Second Class trailer (first class is also done):

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20Carriage%

Anyhow, please let me know what you think. I hope to do another test print soon and will post photos when that's done. 

Alan

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi all, long time no post. Here's the updated print. I've decided to use decals for the livery rather than paint. I'm still making the decals at the moment, and the white undercoat isn't as good as I hoped. 

37473204750_678d0517b2_o.jpg

There are more photos in the 3D printing forum: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113998-sbb-twindexx-intercity-n-scale-spur-n-echelle-n/?p=2889606

Edited by bluemattersoda
  • Like 2

Out of interest, when were these units introduced and what routes do they run? I think I recognise them from around Zurich but can't recall noticing them elsewhere.

Hi, they aren't in passenger service yet, still in testing around Switzerland. i think they are slated for service this year

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I've update the model as suggested by Ben A - please check out the thread over at 3D printing: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113998-sbb-twindexx-intercity-n-scale-spur-n-echelle-n/?p=2647678

Here are some images:

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20-%2001_zp

170311_Cab-Orbit_zpst3vyxns6.gif

And the Second Class trailer (first class is also done):

170311%20-%20Revised%20Model%20Carriage%

Anyhow, please let me know what you think. I hope to do another test print soon and will post photos when that's done. 

Alan

These look great Alan - and the photos too! What do you think it would take to rework the models for Z gauge? Could they be simply scaled somehow? (I'm not particularly familiar with 3D modelling but would certainly be happy to roll my sleeves up to do things like this!)

• 2 months later...

These look great Alan - and the photos too! What do you think it would take to rework the models for Z gauge? Could they be simply scaled somehow? (I'm not particularly familiar with 3D modelling but would certainly be happy to roll my sleeves up to do things like this!)

Hey sorry for the looooong delay to responding - completely slipped my mind! Z gauge is definitely possible though unfortunately don't have any plans at the moment. However I am planning a HO version in full color sandstone, depending on the success of the test prints

Cheers!