Cheshire Lines/CLC - What Society Covers This?

Echo

I am just wondering if the Cheshire Lines is covered comprehensively by any of the main line historical societies?

I have looked at the Midland, Great Central, Great Northern, LMS and LNER Societies' web pages but these don't give any great pointers. I guess I would be looking mainly at the post-grouping era, but much of the earlier history may well be relevant to my interests.

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a CLC steward in the Historical Model Railway Society. The last one died and I am not sure if a replacement has been found.

There is some information on the CLC on the LNER Encyclopedia website. www.lner.info/co/CLC

Baz

No one properly. The Great Central Railway Society (which covers all eras) is probably the best bet, but to be honest, CLC coverage in Forward is pretty rare. (The GCRS isn't quite as bad as the general railway enthusiast population on focusing on the London Extension, but anything about west of the Pennines generally is relatively rare, let alone the CLC.)

As has been pointed out, the HMRS Steward position has been vacant since Bob Miller passed away. Bob was a real CLC expert; what he didn't know about it wasn't worth knowing. Alas very few people have similar expertise. I certainly don't, or I'd have offered myself for the vacancy. 

It depends what you want to know. There are probably people on here (including me) who can answer some questions. But if you want to delve deep, you may be reduced to doing individual research. 

Thanks everyone for your responses. I had no particular questions at this time - just a general interest.

Shame really that the CLC doesn't have its own interest group. Other joint lines with their own identity seem to generate a lot of interest, like the S&DJR and M&GN.

There's an organisation which was based in the old Northwich Steam Shed, they even had their own coach which was stabled inside the shed, called the ' 8E society ' , they have regular meetings in the town, they may be able to help with any questions or point you in the right direction.

Darren

Archived