Turbo Train not working

Abadacus Zokonta

I Sent this message to you mail box, click on the envelope near your name in the top right hand corner of the page,  I thought it was to far of topic in the APT-E thread

If you didn't receive it here it is again.

When mine first failed it started to run very badly, when I looked at It I found a half axle/wheel was missing, I backtracked the train and found the axle/wheel laying beside the track.

the drive wheels on the turbo are made of 3 parts, 2 half axle/wheel assemblies and a plastic gear. These 3 parts are pushed together to make a complete drive wheel/axle/gear assembly. This gear sometimes cracks which allows the gear to turn on the axle. the train will then make noise(motor running) and go nowhere. So it sounds like the same problem. My first fix was to glue the wheel/axle/gear assembly loc-tite or maybe it was superglue(long time ago not sure). Make sure the wheels are in gauge before the glue sets. Recently I contacted Rapido, explained my problem and asked how they could help me. Give them as much info as you can eg my set is LATE AMTRAK.200004 and in the instruction booklet the gear is part# RTR200-13-03

As an aside Athearn locos have a similar arrangement for their drive wheels and I have had quite a few of there gears crack.

I hope that helps

Yours John

PS

turn the turbo train upside down and try to turn all the drive wheels by hand ( one at a time). If one or more of them turn easily then cracked gears are likely to be the problem

Archived