Rochelle Illinois Webcam

It's probably been noted before, but I am enjoying the webcam at Rochelle, courtesy of Trains Magazine.  It's a flat crossing of BNSF and UP, two tracks both ways - much beloved of UK railfans!

post-238-0-48265800-1460037797_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-09103300-1460038130_thumb.jpg

The resolution is only average, but the best feature for me is that it is full live streaming video with sound.  Nothing quite so nice as having birdsong and air horns as the background to my office bound drudge day.

(editied as I just caught a BNSF local backing up the connecting track)

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 3

GP38 2031 is holding down the local switching job on the BNSF, seen here having dropped off the conductor who will line the switch for the short train to back round the connecting curve and into the freight facility adjacent to Global III

post-238-0-83524100-1460476139_thumb.jpg

The BNSF line seems a touch quieter than the UP line, and like most US lines there are distinct lulls in traffic.  It was busy between 3 and 6am on both lines this morning.

The diamonds are under constant maintenance, there is a 3 axle MoW truck parked there almost every day with welding and hammering going on between trains.

post-238-0-59196700-1460476662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I am working on rolling stock in the conservatory this webcam is often on the flat screen TV with sound. When a train approaches my other half will stop watching whatever she is in the living room and come in to the conservatory to see whats passing over the diamonds

• Like 2

That's the ticket. Not sure about the grey one, but the BNSF ones as in the video stills are apparently ballasted and marked up for dedicated use. They appear to have a mix of airslides and FMC4700 covered hoppers in that service.

For modellers, Tangent are doing the BNSF barrier scheme on their new Airslide model, would be a really cool addition to a unit ethanol or crude train...
http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product/bnsf-buffer-car-1-gatc-4180-airslide/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For what appears to be not a particularly large town when you look at it on Google Earth there seeme to be a lot of railroad infrastructure there.

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold

There is a relatively new large UP yard just to the west of town.

I Forgot that I had the Wrecsam activated last night whilst watching a Star Trek movie till the USA Enterprise went into warp drive and I could also hear horns as a BNSF train approached the diamonds!

• Like 1

The yard is Global 3, an intermodal yard plus associated warehousing and something east of town that has a lot of reefers.  The presence in this small town is to do with access to the highway network and avoiding the Chicago log jam - you have to see Global 3 in the context of the UP network as a whole rather than the specifics of Rochelle.  

Good links, cheap land, and close to but avoiding Chicago.

• RMweb Gold

I know they reckon you can get used to anything given enough exposure but I can't imagine anyone getting much sleep in the houses near this webcam.

From trains whistling (hooting?) up for the adjacent grade crossings to the wheels rattling acrooss the diamond that is one noisy place especially at night...it's 4 in the morning there and I've just randomly had a look...nothing to see of course but two trains passing making a heck of a racket (including something obviously older making a good old 'Detroit Diesel' chug).

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

a good old 'Detroit Diesel' chug).

You'd be surprised by just how chuggy the current GEs are when they're hauling tonnage at low speed...

Talking of lack of sleep, I always wondered how the residents of the Tehachapi Loop Ranch managed, because the trains surround the and the flange screaming is - even to this diehard railfan - almost unbearable

I have never seen anything like these before but I assume they are new coal hoppers but who owns them and where do they normally run? They were part of a complete train of the same cars but I just caught the tail end because it was mostly hidden by a double stack.

Willy

post-7068-0-49645900-1461523446_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

I have never seen anything like these before but I assume they are new coal hoppers but who owns them and where do they normally run? They were part of a complete train of the same cars but I just caught the tail end because it was mostly hidden by a double stack.

Willy

I was watching them go past. It looked like HERZOG on them.

Willy

Herzog Ballast Hoppers

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4308428

cheers Paul......

Thank you both.

I though it was going to be like yesterday when I missed a train of UP passenger cars go by behind a train of double-stacks that was stopped across the crossing. I could just catch a glimpse of the yellow cars between the containers but not enough to see what they were.

Willy