Rochelle Illinois Webcam

a few more trains this morning:

post-238-0-07341700-1481557179_thumb.jpg

a single SD70ACe heads a K Line stack train

post-238-0-79055900-1481557230_thumb.jpg

running a block behind and at a much higher speed, a Z train with stacks, DPU, trailers.

post-238-0-44095100-1481557277_thumb.jpg

our old friend the ethanol train with NS run through power in lead position,  More interestingly, the next two units are 4xxx series SD40-3 rebuilds - nice catch!

Yes, my presence on the cam suggests that today is a study day.  Government Policy analysis,... who wouldn't keep sneaking a peek at trains now and then

• Like 1

Basic explanation of US signaling:

Actually basic explanation of Canadian signaling and I would take some of the descriptions with a grain of salt.  For example OCS isn't "Occupation control system" its "Occupancy Control System".  The names of the signal aspects don't necessarily match US aspects, for example "clear to stop" is an "approach" in the US.   He focuses on 3 head signals but they aren't that common in the US, for example if you look on the UP signal bridge on the Rochelle cam, its only a two head signal.

Hi

Noticed this truck positioned on the diamond carrying out some kind of work, does anyone know what it was doing?

Jez

I don't know what it's doing, still there making a right mess and rackett !!

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid I am showing my lack of knowledge with this question but on trains shown on the web cam would the locos at the back of the train (or in the middle) be under the control of the driver at the front or would the rear loco(s) be under the control of a second driver?

Edited by Chris116

Almost without exception, the mid train or rear engines are remotely controlled.  Many of the major US roads use a system called "distributed power" (DP) to operate mid train or rear end engine sets.  The head end engineer can control any of the sets independently or all together.  Having the rear end set of power reduces in train forces, has better fuel economy and stops more quickly than a conventional train.

• 2 weeks later...