Isle of Wight freight

JZ

Now for coal trains.

E1's were ordered for the longer trains as these trains were often 20 wagons or more. Some often had two or more LSWR road vans and or the 20T van. The wagons were either 5 plank ex LBSCR converted round end wagons (available from Cambrian) or of the later 13T ex SR "Medina Wharf " wagons with double doors atop the side door (Also Cambrian). Some wagons were also Designated MP (Motive Power Coal) ME (Mechanical Engineers) And Ds for Departmental or Es for Engineering ( Civil?).

Some carried domestic or loco coal. Some carried loco ash.

First pic shows such at Ventnor.

20160810_082202-1_zpspv6fvkhg.jpg

Good  Pictures,

Some  details:  The  Ex  IWR  4  plank  Ballast  Wagons  referred  to  are  not  IWR, (Isle  of  Wight  Railway)   they  were  Ex  SECR  and  an  early   SR  import.

Originally  they  were  contractors  wagons  built  for  Price  and  Reeves  for  use  on  works  relating  to  the  LCDR  and  SER  merger,  then  taken  over  by  the  SECR  on   completion.  They  were  requisitioned  for  WD  service   in  WW1.  on  return  they  were  stored  at  Ashford   until  sent  to the  IOW.

After  steam  ended  only  one  was  retained  for  any  length  of  time  (62888,  pictured,  now  preserved),  a  second  similar  vehicle  comprising  an  IWC  underframe  with  the  SECR  bodywork,  and  eight  post  steam  conversions  using  LBSC  open  wagon  underfames  with  SECR  bodywork  (four  of  these  have  been  preserved,  three  of  which  have  been  returned  to  their  original  5  plank  open  bodywork).

Some  of  the  LBSC  vans  were  as  stated  used  for  PLA  traffic  on  passenger  trains,  a  few  of  these  later  being  specifically  designated  for  Fish  traffic  following  customer  complaints  about  smelly  luggage.   This  carried  the  unique  Island  livery.

An  LBSC  van  of  the  correct type  is  preserved  on  the  Island  however this  is  not  an  original  IOW  vehicle.

One  side  is  lettered  as  a  standard  van,  the  other  with  the  Fish  markings.

The  picture  showing  the  coal  train  at  Shanklin  has  the  train  shunting  into  the  Gas  Works  siding,  it  would  appear  to  be  collecting   empties,  once  these  are  clear  the  two  loaded  wagons  will  likely take  their  place.

Pete

Edited by IWCR

Ah thanks for the detail Pete. I Remembered somwthingbto do with the SECR but I though it was unusual for SECR sourced wagons. Am I right that the ex IWC did not retain its IWC axle boxes after rebuild or does it still retain them?

20160810_080812-1_zpsdthfdalj.jpg

20160810_080638-1_zps2iiqd0n5.jpg

20160810_080947-1_zpsoxmrqqko.jpg

20160810_081517-1_zpsmqho3gys.jpg

20160810_081244-1_zpsar00dxbl.jpg

20160810_082028-1_zpsev1eacny.jpg

• Like 1

A fascinating topic which I have just discovered. I have a fondness for the Island's railways which dates back to family holidays in the late fifties. Very nice to see so many interesting photos and knowledgeable notes - keep it up lads!

I had to give myself a severe talking-to when I saw the Connoisseur 7mm O2 - a temptation which I must resist - too much other stuff on the go.

Chaz

The  ex  IWC  wagon  did  retain  its  axleboxes,  unfortunately this  vehicle  wasnt  preserved.

The  ex  IWC  wagon  preserved  is  the  crane  match,  this  was  recorded  as  ex  LSWR,  it  currently  has  LBSC  boxes,  it  was   heavily   rebuilt  at  least  once  in  SR  times  and  may  not  be  the  IWC  original,  however  the  frame  construction  is  very  different  from  the  LBSC  vehicles  which  would  have  been  the  likely  source  of  any  replacement..

The  Price  &  Reeves  wagons  originally  had  grease  boxes,  these  post  WW2  were  replaced  with  LBSC  No7  oilboxes.

Note:  the  axle  length  is  different  from  LBSC  standards  hence  solebar  spacing  is  different  and  LBSC  wheelsets  could  not  be  used  when  the  boxes  were  changed.  The  wheelsets  in  62888  are  actually  stamped  GWR  with  1920's  dates,  presumably  the  best  fit  available  at the time.

Pete

The  preserved  "Royal  Daylight"  wagon  is  not  an  Island  original  but  of  a  similar  type.

Actual  numbers  unknown  but at  least  two.  these  carried  Naptha  (Paraffin)

Known  depots  at  Cowes,  Newport,  Ryde  St  Johns,  Freshwater  &  Ventnor  West,  loaded  traffic  would  have  originated  from  St  Helens. 

The  FYN  covered  open  is  in  fact  a  livestock  wagon,  many  similar  mainland  conversions  were  carried  out in  WW1  for  military  traffic  of  Horses.  The second  photo  shows  one  alongside  the  Cattle  Dock  at  Freshwater.

The  last  photo  shows  Ex GER  vans arriving  at  St  Helens  for  the  Central,  the  full  version  of this  photo  has  another  van  behind  the  loco  of  similar  type  but  with  additional  external  planking  over  the  bracing  timbers,  a  grounded  body  matching  this  has  recently  arrived  at  Havenstreet  from  Arreton  on  the  Island  and  is  a  potential  restoration.

The  FYN  goods  brake  shown  is  an  ex  LBSC  Stroudley  vehicle,  the  IWC  had  at  least  three  of these,  one  of  which  was  sold  to  the  FYN  and   two  being  rebuilt  as  larger  Road  Van  type  vehicles.  A  grounded body  in  original  condition  still  exists  on  the  Island  in  private  use,  possibly  the  ex  FYN  vehicle  though  some  details suggest  not  and  a  similar  grounded  body  was  located at  a  Freshwater  branch  station  during  Southern  times.

Pete

I have these ex wessex wagons Blue circle cement wagons up for grabs. I have 2 runs of 2 different numbers but unfortunately they made them without end doors. I converted these to end doors and hinges and with strapping. They hàve 3 link couplings but could easily go back to tension locks. There are 8 wagons in total all different numbers. Make a nice rake for an Island layout. PM me and make me a near enough offer. Looking for £11 each.

Thanks

20160815_193341_zpsdyjzhg6k.jpg

20160815_193533_zpsujojxecg.jpg

Vectis and Portland Cement PO wagons. Vectis wagon livery was grey, Portland Cement/Blue Circle were Yellow. The Portland Cement were ex Vectis Wagons and the Vectis wagons were made/refurbushed from old dumb buffered wagons, probably ex IWC/IWR seen when there were sidings at little London. There were 8 and five planks. The 8 planks being the higher numbers.

20160810_073320-1_zps9ytrczis.jpg

20160810_084032-1_zpsdmc7pzga.jpg

• Like 2

In BR Steam days, it appears only open wagons were used, but I recently saw a video showing one of the LBSC vans in the dock siding at Sandown along with a SR PMV? The vans are well photographed but all appear to carry departmental numbers in the 1950/60, would anyone know if they were actiually used (even in service use) away from the sidings they usually appear photograph in?

In  1932  there  were  48  vans  in  use,  much  of  the  traffic  was  then  lost  due  to the  decision  to  switch  general  goods  arrivals  from  St  Helens  quay  to  Pickfords  wharf  at   Cowes  for  onward  road  delivery

As  of  1948  twenty  one  covered  vans  remained  in  Revenue  traffic  with  a  further  five  in  departmental  use.

Most  of  the  revenue  vans  were  withdrawn  after  the  Sandown  Newport  line  closure  in  1956,  after  this  time  there  would  have  been  very  little  van  traffic  left.

A  small  number  would  have  survived  until  goods  traffic  ceased   in  1966,  but  these  would  have  seen  very  little   use  in  later  years,

A  number  of  departmental  vans lasted  into  1967.

The  SR  PMV,s  arrived  in  the  50's  and  were  well  used  until  the  end,  four  were  retained  in  Stores  use  beyond  this  and  two  were   used  at  the  closed  Newport  station  for  Parcel  Storage.

Pete

There was a kit for the brake van used in the earlier weed killing train. It was an ex MR van the IWR used if your doing SR.

The IWR water tanks were very unusuall in profile!!! And had several chassis over the years.

For the odd shaped one, please do not laugh but due to the wierd profile, the only think close was a sweetex sweetner dispenser which I cut into sections!!!!! It is slighty tapered too so I had to sort that. But by cutting ito into quarters for the top, then the bottom tapered bit was sectioned into quarters again. The chassis I used an IWR chassis from Smallbrook Studios I think. For the private owner Royal daylight wagons on the Island I modified a mainland tank wagon. I think the tank wagons and Isle of Wight cranes have taken the longest and are the hardest to build. The next hardest are the SECR composites!!!

The ex Midland Railway brake van was purchased by the IWCR, not the IWR, in 1911 and ran, as purchased until 1930 when it was rebuilt by the SR with a second veranda and acquired SR diagram no 1588. Its IWC running number was 5 and it was renumbered as SR 56037.

The van can be modeled in 4 or 7mm from the Slaters kit.

post-25253-0-35806000-1471798975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Overner
  • Like 3

A wealth of information in those photo's Zephyrman, thanks for taking the trouble to post them.

As for the full brake, I have a kit of unknown heritage with a similar layout and length, would need to modify the roof profile, but not a difficult job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It can be partially seen in a photo I have (I will try to post it this evening).

Rather than a single 'wharf', there were a collection of covered platforms and coal bins (one of which looks like an old wagon body with the curved ends) along Jollife's Siding.

There was also a large brick shed with a large sign on the roof declaring 'Freshwater Coal Depot'. A small part of this shed still stands in the garden centre, and used as their 'Xmas Barn'.

Two coal merchants used the yard, one of which (Honnor & Jeffrey) later acquired the site and built the garden centre there.

Hope this helps, or is of interest.

thanks Ian. Look forward to seeing photo. Here at Stafford we have an EM gauge layout of Freshwater that was built by one of our members many years ago. You may have seen it as a layout under development at our show last February. We have not been able to determine what the coal arrangements were so your help is appreciated.