Hornby made a Cartic 2 type model. Not sure how prototypical it is or how accurate, but you may be able to bash two or more models together into a Cartic 4. I think Lima made a Cartic 1, so you could try those as well. Pretty sure Hornby has reissued it in their railroad range, along with a car loading ramp.

The two wagons of the Hornby one are relatively close to the side-elevation drawings I have; when I did the other two, I think I used a very small part of the sides for the intermediate wagons, along with the floor sections. The Lima model is a 1/87 scale Italian prototype; the only common feature with the Cartic is that it has two decks.

• RMweb Gold
Re the Imps on carflats, apparently 100 on each train, so that is 25 carflats.

Fortunately for me these went out via Elderslie rather than St James, so unless I engineer some engneering work, I might just get away without them.

Regards

Ian

I was looking for something else in old copies of Modern Railways and came across a piece about the 'Imp Special' in the Nov 1963 issue.

The service started earlier in 1963, conveying 100 Imps at a time on 20 Carflats, so 5 per vehicle. It ran once or twice weekly taking Imps from Linwood to Luton and Gosford Green, Coventry. Interestingly the Imps were driven to Johnstone High for loading, the train departing late afternoon via Cart Jct, Kilbirnie, Dalry and Kilmarnock to Carlisle. Pairs of Polmade EE type 1s were used to Carlisle where LMR diesel power took over. It is suggested that the LMR diesel would run throughout in the future. The link previously showing the EE type 1 on the train of Imps is very similar to the photo accompanying the article - which was taken at Johnstone on 23 September 1963.

Thank you for that.

It looks like I can avoid building 100 imps in 2mm fs.

That's a shame!!

Regards

Ian

With a bit of modeller's license you could always sprinkle in a few of these. The running gear is all Imp.

My brother bought one as a set of spare parts from an outfit in Edinburgh. There were three parts. A body part, an engine/transmission part, and front suspension part. We bolted it together and drove it home to Paisley the same night. (It was really a way of avoiding Purchase Tax.)

• RMweb Premium

You never know, they may have been re-routed in later years... :)

I found an on-line link to the other photo in the article, so you can see the what you've avoided!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/default/files/2013/4/20953083.JPG?1367287802

I did have a look at Johnstone High some time ago, with thoughts of modelling it, inspired by another 2fs thread with a welsh prototype, but I concluded that gettng enough info together might be difficult.

Looking at the photo, and very early memories of my fathers fist company car, I am glad that I changed my mind.

Regards

Ian

If you go to Google maps and do a street view of Linwood road you can see the railway bridge with the faded lettering of the Talbot plant. It says ' Talbot home of the Sunbeam and Avenger' My old neighbour worked there at the closure and he said all the remaining bodyshells and components that couldn't be reused or sold ended up in an old quarry on Rannoch Road in Johnstone.

• RMweb Gold

ts amazing how often strories like that crop up in relation to the car industry. Apparently BMW dumped a load of of fairly recent rover parts back in the 90s to increase the obselenace of the austin rover range during their asset stripping stint on our car industry! 

I bet there are plenty of people today who would love a new avenger or sunbeam shell

• RMweb Premium

If you go to Google maps and do a street view of Linwood road you can see the railway bridge with the faded lettering of the Talbot plant. It says ' Talbot home of the Sunbeam and Avenger' My old neighbour worked there at the closure and he said all the remaining bodyshells and components that couldn't be reused or sold ended up in an old quarry on Rannoch Road in Johnstone.

I heard the same story at the time.

i think I was workng (summer job) for GMI at Inchinnan, just across the road from where I was living.

The tale came from several sources at the time, though I cannot remember the actual name of the quarry. By all accounts, the bodyshells, pressings etc, were carefully placed with a bulldozer, ensuring that nobody could benefit.

Regards

Ian

Odd that they dumped this stuff in a quarry rather than selling it to a scrap dealer. Perhaps scrap prices were so low then it wasn't worth the effort.

The railway stock: railbus, a Class 27, some Mk1 stock (not sure about the Class 120s) were wrapped up (I think?) and put in a tip due to (blue?) asbestos content. Oddly enough, not many years before Vic Berry started taking a lot of similar stock to Leicester for disposal, either intact by rail or in pieces by road. Not sure how similar stock was disposed of prior to then, as I'm not aware of anything else being 'tipped' like that.

As for Cartic 4s in N gauge, the N Gauge Society does a kit.

Odd that they dumped this stuff in a quarry rather than selling it to a scrap dealer. Perhaps scrap prices were so low then it wasn't worth the effort.

The railway stock: railbus, a Class 27, some Mk1 stock (not sure about the Class 120s) were wrapped up (I think?) and put in a tip due to (blue?) asbestos content. Oddly enough, not many years before Vic Berry started taking a lot of similar stock to Leicester for disposal, either intact by rail or in pieces by road. Not sure how similar stock was disposed of prior to then, as I'm not aware of anything else being 'tipped' like that.

The XP64 carriages that are at the NYMR are all wrapped in plastic due to asbestos content and I doubt they will ever see the light of day again!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

The XP64 carriages that are at the NYMR are all wrapped in plastic due to asbestos content and I doubt they will ever see the light of day again!

Mark Saunders

Thats very sad,much more important historically than some one off bastardised royal saloon in the NRM

Mark Saunders

Vehicles used to be stripped of asbestos content by the likes of Vic Berry and C.F. Booth in the 1980s, a number of preserved vehicles were done at the time. However, the process seemed to involve dismantling the interior to get to the material, which was usually used as insulation between the body shell and interior.

Perhaps this process is no longer allowed or viable, or they'd rather leave the vehicles in original, albeit contaminated, condition. Suspect it is most likely to be a funding issue, and one day they may reach the head of the queue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this photo while hunting for something else.(as usual)

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/singleimage.php?id=7149

I had originally ignored it,  with regard to the Paisley St James layout build, but coming across it again, I would think that these were brand new 16t Minerals for delivery to where?

Regards

Ian

Edited for a direct link

• 2 months later...

Archived