Starting from scratch

wiggy1

Hi,

Can someone point me in the right direction as I'm looking at getting either a RTR tram or a motorised kit 00 scale?

I know Bachmann do the Hong Kong trams but looking for the older type double decker tram.

Nothing to specific just something that I can start off with or convert a model like the Corgi trams and motorise it.

Thanks.

I was looking at the Hong Kong trams, but someone told me the motor was very small, and replacements were very expensive. I have just bought a motorized Corgi tram, which is technically speaking 1/72 scale. A Tenshodo SPUD is fitted. I have had problems with Tenshodo in the past, but others have found them OK, so fingers crossed. Need a second tram, but might convert a model myself.

I wanted it for a small layout representing London 1940s using my own 3D printed track. Getting there slowly though.

Hi Wiggy,

Motorising a die-cast tramcar is very well explained in the latest BRM mag, April issue. Step by step with suggestions on how to install a Tenshodo SPUD.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I'll have a look.

Wiggy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the tram scene and I'm trying to find out the names of these trams.

I know you have the 'Feltham' and the Blackpool 'Balloon' and the 'Horsfield' but can anyone help with these four, thats if they do have a type name?

Three of them look almost the same except for the upper deck and the front driving area.

Thank you.

Wiggy.

post-24371-0-63838500-1462804372_thumb.jpg

post-24371-0-47771100-1462804373_thumb.jpg

post-24371-0-72783900-1462804374_thumb.jpg

post-24371-0-41973900-1462804375.jpg

The four Corgi Classics shown are pretty much generic traditional types, they are also to approx 1:64 scale and are noticeably larger than 4mm types. 

Thanks Red Devil,

They are 1:76 scale 4mm but I'm trying to find out what type or name they are e.g. 'Feltham' or 'Horsfield' etc.

I know they are neither but what are they?

Thanks,

Wiggy.

Thanks Red Devil,

They are 1:76 scale 4mm but I'm trying to find out what type or name they are e.g. 'Feltham' or 'Horsfield' etc.

I know they are neither but what are they?

Thanks,

Wiggy.

They're not to 1;76 scale.....nor do they have names....they are a generic model that combines stuff from various traditional types, most didn't have names, Most of the 'named' cars tended to come later often named after a particular general manager (Horsfield, Pilcher etc) or place of build (Felthams) routes (Middleton bogie) etc etc....

I suppose the best you can do with the Corgis is 3 window open top etc.

If you place one of those next to a 4mm Corgi you will notice a difference, the only 4mm ones are the Blackpool Balloon/Railcoach, Feltham and the EFE Hosfield, all the 3 window types shown are approx 1:64.

• 2 weeks later...

As Mark says, the Corgi 4 wheelers are a strange freelance thing in a weird 1/64 approx scale-I think it's a common scale for die cast vehicles? Though the wheels are 00 gauge, which would probably scale at around 3ft 6"!

They are of a generic layout that most tram builders used until the 1920s or so. Each manufacturer had a standard design which could be bought off the peg, or slightly customised to each system. You can see this in the running fleet at Crich. Chesterfield 7, Derby 1 (both made by Brush), Leicester 76 and LCC 106 (made by ERTCW), Glasgow 1068 (Hurst Nelson) plus two Nottingham bodies we have in store are good examples from different manufacturers. In fact, Glasgow 1068 was apparently from an order LCC cancelled, which Paisley tramways bought up instead.

Corgi call them a Dick Kerr type tram, but they are not a faithful replica of any particular real tram. These styles of 4 wheel tram never had names. The corgi models are made so that similar castings can be used to make single or double deckers, open or closed top and open or closed balconies/platforms. They were made in every livery under the sun, pretty much so people could buy the ones from their town. In all fairness this makes sense, as the detail differences between similar trams is a minefield.

Why on earth corgi chose such a strange scale is beyond me, if they'd made a true 1/76 model, even if still freelance, it would have been hugely useful to modellers.

You can look up surviving trams here: http://www.tram.vintagecarriagestrust.org/tms/tmsearch.asp

As Mark says, the Corgi 4 wheelers are a strange freelance thing in a weird 1/64 approx scale-I think it's a common scale for die cast vehicles? Though the wheels are 00 gauge, which would probably scale at around 3ft 6"!

They are of a generic layout that most tram builders used until the 1920s or so. Each manufacturer had a standard design which could be bought off the peg, or slightly customised to each system. You can see this in the running fleet at Crich. Chesterfield 7, Derby 1 (both made by Brush), Leicester 76 and LCC 106 (made by ERTCW), Glasgow 1068 (Hurst Nelson) plus two Nottingham bodies we have in store are good examples from different manufacturers. In fact, Glasgow 1068 was apparently from an order LCC cancelled, which Paisley tramways bought up instead.

Corgi call them a Dick Kerr type tram, but they are not a faithful replica of any particular real tram. These styles of 4 wheel tram never had names. The corgi models are made so that similar castings can be used to make single or double deckers, open or closed top and open or closed balconies/platforms. They were made in every livery under the sun, pretty much so people could buy the ones from their town. In all fairness this makes sense, as the detail differences between similar trams is a minefield.

Why on earth corgi chose such a strange scale is beyond me, if they'd made a true 1/76 model, even if still freelance, it would have been hugely useful to modellers.

You can look up surviving trams here: http://www.tram.vintagecarriagestrust.org/tms/tmsearch.asp

Sent you a PM.

• RMweb Gold

1/64 does sound like a strange scale for models of standard gauge tramcars, on 16.5mm track.

However, a number of fairly similar tramcars were also built to 3'6" gauge.

I also wonder if these models might actually have been intended more as ornaments / novelties than as layout models. I've really got no way of knowing.

As for the reference to "Dick, Kerr", I believe that a number of the tramcars they built have also been referred to as "Preston" trams - a reference to lots of them being built by their "United Electric Car Company" subsidiary, which was based in Preston.

Over the years, they built loads of variants - some with a single truck - some with 2 bogies (which might have had "equal size" wheels - or might have been "maximum traction" types, with different size wheels). Some tramcars had their stairs reversed (I'm not sure - but I think they might have been known as "Liverpool" trams - interesting, because a number of generations of tramcar, to loads of designs, ran there in due course).

As for other variations between tramcars, a number were built with open ends and without roofs. Over time, tramcar designs evolved - with roofs and enclosed ends eventually appearing in a somewhat chaotic fashion. I believe that a number of older trams were also rebuilt over the years - some receiving roofs - some enclosed ends - some both.

I'm sure there were loads of other basic variations (plus loads of detail variations) - the whole area is indeed a minefield.

I'm also sure that a number of people here know far more about this stuff than I'll ever know.

Huw.

Archived