What is a good colour match for GCR french grey?

Help

I want to paint up some carriages in GCR French grey and brown. But I have two problems.

1. When googling French grey there are many different shades, so which is right? Battleship grey, greeny grey or a dirty white?

2 I live in the states so a colour match would be good so I can go and buy the paint, unless it is sold in tin lets, as I am coming home to the UK in the summer and could pick it up then.

Many thanks

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Some of the military modellers have used French Grey for French uniforms that are grey.

If you go here:-

http://www.paint4models.com/

You will be able to check the shades out and find a maker stateside.

For me, French Grey has always been to the green side of the spectrum and I've used Humbrol Sea Grey 27 mixed with Humbrol white 34 (matt finishes).

This only needs to be about 20:1 mix ratio.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

How about BS381C shade 630? Ok the BS came a tad later, but its a good place to start...

If you can get hold of a chart over there (monitors can bend the colours a fair bit) and then compare it to something like a RAL chart, you may be in business...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

How about BS381C shade 630? Ok the BS came a tad later, but its a good place to start...

If you can get hold of a chart over there (monitors can bend the colours a fair bit) and then compare it to something like a RAL chart, you may be in business...

Andy G

Hi Andy,

You can do that comparison on the conversion page at the link I've given.

You can also give RGB or RAL numbers if you know them and get the nearest match that way.

Thanks

Archived