Flying Scotsman trip cancelled

Richard E

• RMweb Premium

A trip by Flying Scotsman from Ely to Norwich and back run by Steam Dreams due on May 25th has been cancelled amongst fears that the public can get too close to the locomotive and train in the Norfolk fens.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/flying_scotsman_s_trip_from_ely_to_norwich_cancelled_because_of_fears_spectators_will_get_too_close_to_tracks_1_4489552

• RMweb Gold

There's a huge expectation of trespass after the East Coast runs and there's a lot of staffing being planned to cover known problem areas plus BTP on board. If this continues the trespassers are going to get it banned due to the risk of one of them being so keen to get a shot that they get bowled over by a service train.

Can I ask on behalf of everyone, including the families of the trespassers!. that you challenge anyone you see lineside and report to BTP but don't go lineside too.

This is far more of a risk to mainline steam than the West Coast furore as it's costing the railway a fortune in delays and manpower.

Do not go after these idiots but save BTP's number to your phone and report them as anyone lineside will result in trains running under caution and ruining the spectacle of an A3 at speed.

post-6968-0-14173700-1460385397_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Further info coming out - the section of the journey from London (conflicting information as to Kings Cross or Victoria for the point of origin) to Ely will still run as planned but the onward portion to Norwich and back has been cancelled.

People said this would be the result of the mass tonking over Flying Dustbin, and sure enough, it has begun.  This is why the positioning move from Grosmont to York ran at stupid o'clock rather than early evening.  Cockwombles and trains don't mix!

• RMweb Gold

Would there be the same expectation of trespass if BTP had come down hard on those who were trespassing on the ECML on Scotsman's initial run?  I think the wrong message was sent out, a bunch of heavy fines and appropriate coverage in the media might have got the message over.

I was so pleased to see my 17 yo daughter screaming at the TV when she saw all those trespassers.  A couple of days on the footplate around the yard at Boston Lodge last summer and she has a proper understanding of how slowly trains stop, especially as she only had a handbrake to wind!  Something none of those on the wrong side of the fence would appreciate.

Martin 

• RMweb Gold

I think there was a sort of amnesty warning with that first run but don't expect it to continue. They weren't out in force but we are looking at over forty staff and additional BTP/NR incident units for one of the runs.

• RMweb Gold

I think there was a sort of amnesty warning with that first run but don't expect it to continue. They weren't out in force but we are looking at over forty staff and additional BTP/NR incident units for one of the runs.

I'm rather shocked that BTP have decided not to prosecute - but then all sorts of crimes go unpunished nowadays so maybe my thinking is rather old-fashioned?

What does not surprise me at all is the level of cover being considered for some of the runs as mentioned here - in fact it is probably limited as much by lack of human resource as anything else.  But whatever even 40 staff without thinking about BTP involvement are going to cost a lot of money and the revenue accruing to NR will probably be hardly enough to cover it.  The business of steam specials then obviously follows exactly the course described in Paul's earlier post and once delay costs are thrown in we are talking about some very big sums of real money - even 20 years ago the operator I worked for was on £1 per minute on delay costs, either way, and I woudn't mind betting that some are on much higher figures than that nowadays.

• RMweb Gold

Can't comment on the reasoning by BTP but I know the tolerance is now gone as it's considered more when than if someone gets bowled over, hence the NRM light engine moves now being scheduled in the dark.

Having to caution trains is a totally unnecessary workload the boxes don't need on top and will have huge knock on delays.

• RMweb Gold

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but I wasn't in any way surprised at the number of trespassers.  Perhaps there aren't people with long enough memories of the ECML at BTP, it happened with 4472 in the past following a lot of advance media coverage of the ECML run in February 1983.  I remember following and overtaking the train riding in an HST and I'd never seen so many people wrong side since my Dad took me to Blea Moor in August 1968.   IIRC there were people all over the line at Newark.

Martin

My Word of the Week, cheers Boris!

It is a multipurpose word indeed

The BTP issued a lot of spot fines when the thing went to the Moors, but they were saying the softly softly approach was blatantly not working so they were looking to formally prosecute somebody and make sure it was well publicised.

The BTP have seriously mis-judged this issue, IMHO. A few hefty fines, with media coverage, would have stopped a lot of the trespassing. Instead, FS is now seen as a liability on the network - brilliant! Maybe the BTP will pay the NRM to compensate for the lost revenue?

Of perhaps the BTP will pay to fit a COckWomble-catcher to the front of FS?

The BTP have seriously mis-judged this issue, IMHO. A few hefty fines, with media coverage, would have stopped a lot of the trespassing. Instead, FS is now seen as a liability on the network - brilliant! Maybe the BTP will pay the NRM to compensate for the lost revenue?

Of perhaps the BTP will pay to fit a COckWomble-catcher to the front of FS?

One of the things we developed when I was working was a rapidly-inflatable naval decoy (rubber duck).  We were looking for further applications for the technology but were defeated by a visitor from London Transport who wanted us to develop for tube train use a large airbag covered with some form of human flypaper.....

It seems that the "celebrity status" of FS is now such a problem that it is interfering with the whole point of the long, painful restoration - i.e. hauling trains as an "ambassador" for the NRM.

When human celebrities wish to avoid attention, they adopt an alias and a disguise.

I therefore suggest that FS is temporarily re-named "Cockwomble", and is fitted with a single chimney and painted apple green. After all, some of the other A3s had pretty odd names.

Then the loco can go about the network unmolested, and we, the true enthusiasts, can enjoy some A3 haulage without being stopped every few miles by morons trespassing on the line.

Damn, i was looking forward to catching it on a bit of remote 'Breckland line' that wouldn't be surrounded asshats, but they've already gone and ruined it :( I can vaguely remember seeing it leaving Norwich in the late 90s, it was tough to get close to fence at Crown point with the amount of 'enthusiasts' blocking it with tripods.

One of the things we developed when I was working was a rapidly-inflatable naval decoy (rubber duck). We were looking for further applications for the technology but were defeated by a visitor from London Transport who wanted us to develop for tube train use a large airbag covered with some form of human flypaper.....

Mentioning ducks and Gresley locos in the same thread is strictly forbidden

Archived