Missed chances for steam loco names

'Barbara Castle' - as Labour transport minister she enacted the Beeching cuts closing down much of BR.

G.

One of Northern's 158s is named Barbara Castle, well it certainly was until the franchise change. The name may have been removed, I noticed today that the 156 advertising the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway didn't have a name on, I presume that used to carry the name L'all Ratty (SP?)

'Barbara Castle' - as Labour transport minister she enacted the Beeching cuts closing down much of BR.

G.

And sponsored the Transport Act 1968 that set up the PTEs and enshrined the idea of the 'Socially necessary railway', so not all bad.

They could have got some dodgy East End gangster to name a loco "This Is My Manor".  That sort of self-important arrogance would suit the GWR to a tee.  "Fircombe Hall" would also fit the company ethos nicely.  Actually for those of us who think the only good kettle is red or black and runs out of Euston, "Damn Hall" could sum up our dislike of copper kettles (only joking, the GWR did give us Stanier after all.  Or After Hall). 

I suppose a Wolverhampton based "Star" could be the "Express and Star" (local evening paper), perhaps one of the Dukedogs could have been named "Earl Lea-Dawes" or "Earl Beseeingyou", or how about getting a politician to name a loco "Unbecoming Manor"?

Mind you I do think someone at Paddington had some sort of nautical or naval sense of humour deciding to name one of the real locos after "Keele Hall" in Staffordshire.

Bu**er Hall?

Last seen running tender first Under Milk Wood?

Not forgetting...

Blessem Hall (the long and the short and the tall - oops sorry, that's been suggested)

Stuart Hall (once a knockout, now in for a long-term service but might eventually return as a modified Hall)

Sweet Fanny Adams?

After the GWR built "The Great Bear" they missed a trick in not naming one of their small tanks "Bear Cub". 

Given the GWR's enthusiasm for naming anything remotely likely to haul passengers after posh folk's piles, they should have carried on down the social scale for smaller locos.  The Large Prairies, designed for suburban duties, could have been given "Villa" themed names after typical suburban 1930s "villas".  Going to work behind "Sunnyside Villa" or "Wisteria Villa" would have brightened up the dreary journey.  The Small Praries, often found on country branch lines, could have become the "Cottage" class, trundling down to Looe behind "Rose Cottage" would have added lots of atmosphere.  It could even have been extended down to the 14xx class which, being the smallest of the tanks, would have had to be named after bedsits as the smallest abodes.  Catching the shuttle from Dolgellau to Barmouth behind "22b Marine Parade" would have been no more silly than travelling to Wolverhampton third class behind a loco named after the holiday pad of Lord and Lady Snooty. 

I also think the railcars should have been given "Banana" themed names, the first one obviously called "Flying Banana", then given they had a nice buffet bar, perhaps "Banana Daiquiri" or "Banana Cake", and of course the first two car unit would have to be "Banana Split", followed by "Banana Sandwich" etc.

Of course the GWR were far too po-faced for such nonsense.  You'd never get them naming a loco after anything so plebeian or common as a football team.

Then there are the diesel classes....

Western Bypass, Western Hotel,  Western Screenplay, Wettern Windy....

and for the warships

Troutbridge, Black Pig, Flying Dustman, Boaty McBoatface....

But surely nothing could surpass the Southern's  "Howard of Effingham"?

I had a school friend who lived at Hall Manor, which could have made for a confusing name...

To turn round Rich's suggestion in Clifton, Bristol there is a Manor Hall built 1927-1932,

cheers

Am I the only one who regrets that Swindon stopped building Halls, Manors, Castles, etc. before they had a chance to cast the plates for...

Toad Hall, Bedside Manor, or Bouncy Castle?

Are there any more that I've missed?

The Manors were named in alphabetical order (apart from Torquay Manor, which was named first because the owner of the building in question was building a model of the new locos to go on display at the Model Engineer exhibition and the GWR thought it was good publicity!). So the GWR did have a 'chance' to name Bedside Manor ;-)

Ok so not steam or indeed a loco. But I'm surprised when virgin were naming a lot of there pendiliono fleet red revolution red this and red that. They didn't name one red rum in fact I'm surprised British Rail didn't name a loco red rum.

Lots of other locos were named after racehorses, and red rum was the most famous racehorse of all time. Prehaps the race horse owners said no or something but it seems a surprising omission

...It could even have been extended down to the 14xx class which, being the smallest of the tanks,...

Way ahead of you. Back in the early 60s a small group of us extended the naming on just such a scheme, and the 14xx were 'Outside Karzi' class: First in class Pole, Jakes, Thunderbox, Privy, Latrine, Bog, Convenience, Closet, One holer, Two holer, Restroom, Comfort Stop, Facility, Sandbox, etc

Archived