RMWEB Tour Of Didcot Railway Centre 31st July 2016

Castle

K14,

Thanks for the photos. I think I'm right in thinking that it's a Dean goods boiler.

I presume it would have had the normal lagging & cleading when in service - if anyone knows different, there's two of us would like to know!

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Castle,

Unfortunately, work has intervened, and I'm now going to be in Bangkok on 31st July.  I'd rather be walking round Didcot Railway Centre, but work has to be done... :sad_mini2:

Maybe bext year...

Regards,

James

K14,

Thanks for the photos. I think I'm right in thinking that it's a Dean goods boiler.

I presume it would have had the normal lagging & cleading when in service - if anyone knows different, there's two of us would like to know!

Best

Simon

It's either off a Dean Goods or some Cambrian thing, I don't think anyone's really investigated its provenance in any depth.

Looking at the photos in the link I posted it seems that cladding was largely retained, but often got chopped about. You obviously wouldn't need most of the backhead fittings & one shot shows the dome stripped bare & a large diameter take-off pipe attached:—

Doncaster%20Works2.jpg

A couple of shots of ex-pannier boilers show a different arrangement:—

DavidSmithGloucsHortonRdc1970.jpg

Brentford%20Docks1.jpg

Enough threadjacking...

I hope to be around on the day as C&W rep, providing Real Life doesn't get in the way.

Pete.

Hi All,

Sorry you can't come Terry and James - maybe next time...

Coxswain and Deano: Glad to have you aboard! See you both there!

I see we have had Pete to the (photographic) rescue again - cheers buddy!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Morning Drew

Is there any chance you can chat the lovely ladies   :angel:  up in the canteen to have some bacon rolls/sarnies on the go first thing.  :imsohappy:

K14,

Best

Simon

Harold Gasson in "Footplate Days" (OPC 1976) implies that the Didcot boiler was indeed an ex Dean Goods boiler. "The regulator replaced with a steam valve .... steam heating valve blanked off, steam brake and vacuum fittings removed, together with the lubricator". He also comments that it had a "30 foot chimney, supported with stay wires".

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Castle,

Many thanks to yourself and K14 for another excellent day 'behind the scenes' at Didcot.  Clearly 'watching coaling' will now have to go on the agenda for every RMweb visit although I remain a little concerned about the presence of a blue engine despite it having quite a good sound chip..

• RMweb Gold

Castle et al,

Also many thanks from me for a very interesting afternoon, and to Mike (Stationmaster) for signalling reminiscences.

Paul.

Archived