East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Surprised NR haven’t got a web cam set up

When I did my site visit we were told that we could take pictures but any we wished to publish had to be 'vetted' by NR. I suspect they wouldn't wish to put live stream CCTV out there given that attitude.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

That's exactly why, after some thought, I reckon there has been a misunderstanding somewhere (probably me). I'd intended to make a weekly visit but I wasn't about last week, Friday was Wales and Saturday Lincolnshire playing with motor cars. Still, now we are in late November, my weekends no longer involve playing with rally cars so I should be able to give a bit more time to railways for a while.

I find trying to get shots of the eastern side of the dive under frustrating as access is very limited unless you park on Hurn Road/Lincoln Road and walk up to one of the bus stops on the A15. You've then got to get to the bridge which is a bit risky with the standard of driving around Peterborough. Even then the view is still limited.

This weekend sees ECML services diverted via Lincoln again between 13:00 on Saturday and 12:00 on Sunday so it could be an opportunity to catch some unusual movements between those times. Nottingham-Norwich services are also being diverted and will not call at Grantham. They will see 15 minute delays due to the diversion via Loughborough and Melton Mowbray.

I don't think it is very safe on the dual carraigeway bridge either.  Top of the big muck heap is the place to be I think.:unsure:

Really need a Morgan Sindall outfit and a brass neck.:jester: The Briton contractors were wearing them when they were doing the new footbridge so who would know.:rolleyes:

Don't forget, Duchess of Sutherland, Saturday 10.09am at Werrington Junction heading north up the Joint.

https://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/the-york-yuletide-express

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple more from today. The water levels have dropped a long way.

The new track has moved closer to the footbridge. The Hull trains unit is coming off the Spalding line having worked via the diversion.

IMG_0377

We also have some more OHLE kit on site.

IMG_0378

And the new culvert is pretty much completed now.

IMG_0379

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody know if, when complete, local services, normally using the up slow to & from the from the existing junction will move to the "Stamford" side of the station or not?

Edited by melmerby

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Does anybody know if, when complete, local services will move to the "Stamford" side of the station or not?

I very much doubt it.  Werrington Junction as it is today will remain, so Spalding/Lincoln services will still use the up slow for access.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Does anybody know if, when complete, local services, normally using the up slow to & from the from the existing junction will move to the "Stamford" side of the station or not?

I would thinks so as its quite disruptive when it runs bi di on the up slow 

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I very much doubt it.  Werrington Junction as it is today will remain, so Spalding/Lincoln services will still use the up slow for access.

Yes it will. But I expect some experimentation - given the extra platforms now extant at the station on the West side, and the closure of the old Platform 1 bay. It will surround what disruption is best saved; either the disruption of the NSE services crossing over at the south end, or the Spaldings etc using the old P2, now P1. I suspect, given the straightening of the Up fast route into P2 and the new P3, that P1 will continue to be used for the locals, at the North end, and not P2, as used to be the case in the off-peak some years ago. Either way, that means continuing to use the existing Junction.

An update here from NR, on the new river courses and other stuff:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/east-coast/east-coast-upgrade/werrington-grade-separation/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

The new river is a welcome enhancement to the earlier Werrington Brook project.

https://www.pect.org.uk/projects/werrington-brook-improvements/

• Like 2

On 01/12/2019 at 13:06, Richard E said:

A couple more from today. The water levels have dropped a long way.

The new track has moved closer to the footbridge. The Hull trains unit is coming off the Spalding line having worked via the diversion.

IMG_0377

We also have some more OHLE kit on site.

IMG_0378

And the new culvert is pretty much completed now.

IMG_0379

Wondering if they have been pumping the water away?

any ideas when the string will go up on the OLE?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Wondering if they have been pumping the water away?

any ideas when the string will go up on the OLE?

They were pumping previously but making no headway at all, in fact the water was gaining on them. We must remember that the new culvert is not yet in use and all flow is pumped and via collecting ponds at present.

As for OHLE I think the answer is possibly in Donington Roads post above which also confirms it is only the down Stamford line that will have any knitting installed..

• RMweb Premium

I was chatting to a family friend over the weekend, the bungalow just on the edge of the frame at roughly top centre actually belongs to his aunt. She has had to remove all her ornaments from shelves and window sills due to the constant vibration from the works ...

11 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I was chatting to a family friend over the weekend, the bungalow just on the edge of the frame at roughly top centre actually belongs to his aunt. She has had to remove all her ornaments from shelves and window sills due to the constant vibration from the works ...

I think they are doing well to constantly remain living there while heavy work is going on all around them.

May be NR will treat them to a nice holiday.

Once all the work and landscaping is done I do think their property will be in a nice location though.

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Constant?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

Someone drew my attention to Bing maps today, the satellite option.

It shows the dive under, under construction in the Hurn Road triangle.

Screen grab below, the resolution is not very good, but is the best aerial shot I have seen so far.

1970500425_bingsatellitemap.jpg.d6d943dd437840ec2593199880d2c5d0.jpg

i'm left wondering how access to the relay room is achieved when the roadway to it is now cut by the big hole?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Shed said:

i'm left wondering how access to the relay room is achieved when the roadway to it is now cut by the big hole?

Safe access to the Relay Room will be maintained, it will have been one of the criteria stipulated before the works started.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Constant?

That is her perception, it will be, at least, during waking hours. The works are heavily floodlight during darkness (yes, even at midnight plus) so I'm not sure what their working hours are.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iands said:

Safe access to the Relay Room will be maintained, it will have been one of the criteria stipulated before the works started.

Stumbling down the cess at present v the old drive to the door 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Been out again today.

The OHLE has marched its way along the whole of the down Stamford line now and is ready, more or less, for wiring with most of the register arms fitted but swung out of the way for now!

IMG_0385

IMG_0382

The slewed track now has rail along the whole of the length where sleepers have been laid. They just need to complete the section on top of the culvert now.

IMG_0383

The culvert is complete too, just a couple of foundation boxes of some sort being cast on the side.

IMG_0381

IMG_0384

A view from Hurn Road footbridge as well, the long lens definitely distorts this making the angle of return to the original alignment look much sharper than it actually is on the ground.

IMG_1319

And finally the spoil heap has grown even more - someone commented some pages back that this must be the highest point in Peterborough, I  am tempted to think it looks pretty close. Ground level here is around 12m above sea level, Bretton centre is at 27m, I've not checked the rest of the city but my OS maps suggest I've picked the most likely area for the highest point.

IMG_0380

I didn't bother looking at the Hurn Road/Lincoln Road area, I'll keep that for another day. Finally I was a bit annoyed that, whilst taking some of these, I missed a good shot of an HST on the up fast.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

24 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Been out again today.

Another good set of photos Richard.

That gantry post in the third photo looks to be a view blocker :unsure:

Catch those HST's while you can.

LNER has confirmed that the 1705 Harrogate-London King's Cross on December
15 will likely by the last southbound HST, with the 1935 King's Cross-Leeds
its final HST service.

Hope to get out tomorrow or Friday, still not feeling 100% but nearly three weeks away from the railway is a bit much.

Don't forget, Loxley Centre 2pm onwards Friday.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Another good set of photos Richard.

That gantry post in the third photo looks to be a view blocker :unsure:

Catch those HST's while you can.

LNER has confirmed that the 1705 Harrogate-London King's Cross on December
15 will likely by the last southbound HST, with the 1935 King's Cross-Leeds
its final HST service.

Hope to get out tomorrow or Friday, still not feeling 100% but nearly three weeks away from the railway is a bit much.

Don't forget, Loxley Centre 2pm onwards Friday.

Yes, that mast is going to be a bit of a nuisance, the picture was from the cycle ramp on the Bretton side. I'm trying to think up some way of 'looking over the top' of the bridge sides.

Don't forget the HST farewell tour run from Leeds to KGX on 21/12 at 11:01, arrives PBO at 13:21, departs 13:40.

• Informative/Useful 1