East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

6 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Yes, that mast is going to be a bit of a nuisance, the picture was from the cycle ramp on the Bretton side. I'm trying to think up some way of 'looking over the top' of the bridge sides.

Don't forget the HST farewell tour run from Leeds to KGX on 21/12 at 11:01, arrives PBO at 13:21, departs 13:40.

I am about 6ft tall, I took one of those plastic step ups, about 8 inches high, it was okish but holding the camera my arms were uncomfortable stretched out at shoulder height.  I have an old Corona crate at 13 inches high which would be better.  I had a very lightweight two step aluminium steps somewhere which I think would be ideal but can't find them.

These might be useful: https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-2-tread-plastic-step-stool-0-63m/1491284_BQ.prd

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Been out again today.

The OHLE has marched its way along the whole of the down Stamford line now and is ready, more or less, for wiring with most of the register arms fitted but swung out of the way for now!

IMG_0385

IMG_0382

The slewed track now has rail along the whole of the length where sleepers have been laid. They just need to complete the section on top of the culvert now.

IMG_0383

The culvert is complete too, just a couple of foundation boxes of some sort being cast on the side.

IMG_0381

IMG_0384

A view from Hurn Road footbridge as well, the long lens definitely distorts this making the angle of return to the original alignment look much sharper than it actually is on the ground.

IMG_1319

And finally the spoil heap has grown even more - someone commented some pages back that this must be the highest point in Peterborough, I  am tempted to think it looks pretty close. Ground level here is around 12m above sea level, Bretton centre is at 27m, I've not checked the rest of the city but my OS maps suggest I've picked the most likely area for the highest point.

IMG_0380

I didn't bother looking at the Hurn Road/Lincoln Road area, I'll keep that for another day. Finally I was a bit annoyed that, whilst taking some of these, I missed a good shot of an HST on the up fast.

Think it was me joking about the height of the heap.

if I remember correctly though you can’t build anything taller than the cathedral in Peterborough, or is that a myth?

10 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Think it was me joking about the height of the heap.

if I remember correctly though you can’t build anything taller than the cathedral in Peterborough, or is that a myth?

Don't know about a myth, the Cathedral is 44m high, next is Cumberland House at 35m.

Trivia: https://www.emporis.com/statistics/tallest-buildings/city/105063/peterborough-united-kingdom

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

I am about 6ft tall, I took one of those plastic step ups, about 8 inches high, it was okish but holding the camera my arms were uncomfortable stretched out at shoulder height.  I have an old Corona crate at 13 inches high which would be better.  I had a very lightweight two step aluminium steps somewhere which I think would be ideal but can't find them.

These might be useful: https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-2-tread-plastic-step-stool-0-63m/1491284_BQ.prd

The step is pretty narrow, it might be uncomfortable for any length of time.

I thought I'd go and take a look after the Peterborough show on Sunday

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pictures. I set off for Pompey today from Lincoln and had an unscheduled diversion via Peterborough due to a puncture. As I came down the A15 I suddenley realised I was at Werrington.  I would have dearly loved to have stopped and taken some photos but tempus fugit and I had a ferry to catch. However I was able to ID some of the landmarks. I certainly is coming on.  Please keep the pictures coming.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 4

A couple of photos to compliment those which Richard posted yesterday.

Work on Hurn Road seems to have come to a standstill apart from a few orange jackets who were re-arranging some fencing near the temporary footbridge at Lincoln Road, which they said will be in operation sometime in January.

1259713125_2019-1031.jpg.29401e48bc8b39c2dc24fe1eb9d22ac9.jpg

hr1.jpg.001aeca1077f6607a70c64d783a36940.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The step is pretty narrow, it might be uncomfortable for any length of time.

I thought I'd go and take a look after the Peterborough show on Sunday

Cheers

Some photographers use something similar to this, a bit heavy for going any distance though:

image.png.3c954f547372069a9247657009f06798.png

I suspect the PC Police would get upset with something like that around railway property ....

• Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Some photographers use something similar to this, a bit heavy for going any distance though:

image.png.3c954f547372069a9247657009f06798.png

I suspect the PC Police would get upset with something like that around railway property ....

Small lightweight aluminium steps seem to be in short supply, most are made of steel and quite heavy

These two items are on my shortlist.

https://tinyurl.com/suqn7oc

stool1.jpg.82297e13769b9e959fcd418cb63709ca.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/ss7chrv

stool2.jpg.254ec4866b53b22d4c66e15d148577e9.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Donington Road said:

A couple of photos to compliment those which Richard posted yesterday.

Work on Hurn Road seems to have come to a standstill apart from a few orange jackets who were re-arranging some fencing near the temporary footbridge at Lincoln Road, which they said will be in operation sometime in January.

1259713125_2019-1031.jpg.29401e48bc8b39c2dc24fe1eb9d22ac9.jpg

hr1.jpg.001aeca1077f6607a70c64d783a36940.jpg

I think I'll need my mountain bike to negotiate this lot! Thanks for the photographs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of weeks ago one of the clever and talented guys in our office working on the project shared with the rest of us a simulation video of Werrington Junction dive-under. It is not 100% complete, but provides a really good interpretation of the various design stages brought together using some very clever software. These 'simulation videos' get used quite a lot now to demonstrate design progress, visualisation of various construction stages, and used to highlight any particular changes that may be required, such as potential inter-discipline conflicts/clashes (e.g. Electrification designers wanting to plant an OLE mast right where Signalling want to erect an equipment loc., etc.), all without the need for lots of people needing to go on site unnecessarily to identify/solve problems - much better from a safety aspect.

For anyone interested, it is available on YouTube, and the link is as follows (hope it works):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdv-H-ahGLc&t=7s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, iands said:

A couple of weeks ago one of the clever and talented guys in our office working on the project shared with the rest of us a simulation video of Werrington Junction dive-under. It is not 100% complete, but provides a really good interpretation of the various design stages brought together using some very clever software. These 'simulation videos' get used quite a lot now to demonstrate design progress, visualisation of various construction stages, and used to highlight any particular changes that may be required, such as potential inter-discipline conflicts/clashes (e.g. Electrification designers wanting to plant an OLE mast right where Signalling want to erect an equipment loc., etc.), all without the need for lots of people needing to go on site unnecessarily to identify/solve problems - much better from a safety aspect.

For anyone interested, it is available on YouTube, and the link is as follows (hope it works):

Very nice animation, thank you for sharing iands.

I just wish there were more photos being put in the public domain from Morgan Sindall and Network Rail.  They have some excellant and very interesting aerial photos of the site as we have seen at the last public meeting at the Loxley Centre.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iands said:

Excellent simulation, this sort of software must be a real boon for architects and project teams as they can walkthrough all aspects of a project before the expensive digging even begins.

I did notice that the graphic of Cock Lane bridge was followed by a simulated mini-skirted young lady hanging around the bridge :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Excellent simulation, this sort of software must be a real boon for architects and project teams as they can walkthrough all aspects of a project before the expensive digging even begins.

I did notice that the graphic of Cock Lane bridge was followed by a simulated mini-skirted young lady hanging around the bridge :D

Although I cannot utilise the very clever software to create such videos, I understand that certain embellishments can be added (as you have pointed out) to add a touch of realism!:jester:

• RMweb Premium

I went yesterday.

Firstly a shot looking north with the first layer of ballast now down as far as the footbridge. Unfortunately the height of the bridge sides limits shots close to the side of the bridge unless you have a stepstool of some sort.

IMG_0386

Next is looking south east from pretty much the same point.

IMG_0387

A shot of the last bit of the culvert to be completed. This is in the area where Marholm Brook used to join Brook Drain.

IMG_0389

And finally where Marholm Brook runs under the existing formation, these are the up and down Stamford here which will be moving over to the new formation shortly.

IMG_0390

Prior to all the changes the water flow was North-South, West-East but they are currently pumping from the southern end of Brook Drain in the opposite direction. And water flow should be from the region of the Water Company buildings south, under the ECML, down Brook Drain and into Marholm Brook thence under the ECML again into Werrington and from there via Werrington Brook into the Folley River which then drains into the Welland. It just isn't obvious as to what has been done with Marholm Brook.

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, this is the eastern end of the dive under.

IMG_0598

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

22 hours ago, iands said:

Absolutely brilliant! I wish we had had access to something as sophisticated as this when I was in the game. It would have saved an awful lot of time and money, assuming everything that was due to go in place was actually put into the sim.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Absolutely brilliant! I wish we had had access to something as sophisticated as this when I was in the game. It would have saved an awful lot of time and money, assuming everything that was due to go in place was actually put into the sim.

Hi Mike, 

Yes, the sophisticated software available nowadays is something to behold, it can make project life a lot easier if used correctly, and a whole new "skill set" required to put it all together to produce the finished simulation - a definite 21st century enhancement to traditional draughtsman skills. We did use something similar over 10 years ago on the East London Line project for signal sighting purposes, but was fairly basic in comparison. Just shows what 10 years of software development has achieved. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iands said:

We did use something similar over 10 years ago on the East London Line project for signal sighting purposes, but was fairly basic in comparison. Just shows what 10 years of software development has achieved. 

Shows how computers are evolving at an extremely rapid rate.

My first Windows PC had 16bit single core processor running at 25MHz, 4Mb memory, 170Mb HDD (That was an upgrade!)

My latest has a 64bit 8 thread processor running at 3.4Ghz, 16GB memory, 500Gb SSD.

It can do things in seconds the first one took days to do.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

On 08/12/2019 at 12:13, iands said:

Very clever

• Agree 2