East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Some heavy machinery has moved into a very boggy area east of Lincoln Road.

The view is looking towards the eventual junction with the Joint line just before Foxcovert Wood in background.

The temporary footbridge in the foreground which was due to open on Monday is still not open.

Unfortunately not being able to get it out of the frame it has blurred the background somewhat.

IMG_2130a.jpg.c98494280e8245f5e3f2d01be52db22e.jpg

IMG_2132a.jpg.ac013ae3253c87e1757bf0f828653b84.jpg

Tresspasser on the Up Slow at Hurn Road.

Where's your hi-vis? :jester:

IMG_2123.jpg.65c5622c0527415c4a581232ed33275c.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg.647dc7351124bbe0bbfcee9dda4360a7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

The view is looking towards the eventual junction with the Joint line just before Foxcovert Wood in background.

Well you did mention Foxcovert Wood:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

The temporary footbridge in the foreground which was due to open on Monday is still not open.

Unfortunately not being able to get it out of the frame it has blurred the background somewhat.

Fox on the run! I saw one on the western side of the ECML heading south as the Fitzwilliam hunt headed north! This was around Christmas time 2018.

Edited by Crun

He is fully compliant, site colour is orange 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

The large piece of machinery looks like a compactor, used to consolidate material in embankments. 

Not sure what it was.  It looked like one of those machines that rip up tarmac roads.

Large rotating drum in the centre.  It wasn't getting on very well whatever it was doing by sinking in the wet ground up to its axles.

.......and was that lime they were putting down?  Could just see a large tanker the other side of the footbridge which was delivering something.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

.......and was that lime they were putting down?  Could just see a large tanker the other side of the footbridge which was delivering something.

Lime or quicklime is used to dry out ground and modify clay soils making them easier to compact on, for example, embankments and similar formations. It actually makes clay less slippery, apparently the reaction can go on for years ending up with an almost concrete like end result depending on the chemical composition of the soil. It acts by heating the soil (quicklime + water = heat, up to 100ºC) and also binding up to 30% of the water content. The heat causes evaporation of course.

• Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

This was the plan of Werrington junction as I drew it out in 1979/80, when I was at Kings Cross. We always knew it as the Down Slow, the Down Stamford not starting until Helspston Junction.

ECML,_77.5-88_MP.jpg.533448dcdbd61a812f5607115407fede.jpg

Paul J.

That is an interesting drawing Paul.

What I find remarkable are those speed limits, which 40 years on are still the same.

The Stamford lines to us 'old locals' are just that, built by the Midland Railway eons ago and always serparate from the ECML (Great Northern)

The only connection to the ECML was at Wisbech Junction just before Westfield Road bridge.

Do you know when the Down Stamford was redesignated as the Down Slow (ECML) ?

My guess would be around the early 1970's

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Do you know when the Down Stamford was redesignated as the Down Slow (ECML) ?

My guess would be around the early 1970's

You can read all about it here:

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/pullfree.asp?FilePath=ArchiveSignals\Downloads\brer&FileName=1971-22.pdf

And here:

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/pullfree.asp?FilePath=ArchiveSignals\Downloads\brer&FileName=1971-23.pdf

Enjoy!

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Three Cocks Junction said:

Thank you TCJ for those interesting and informative pieces of information.

2 hours ago, Crun said:

Any more up to  date news and photographs welcome. Are there to be more line closures from Kings Cross northwards this month and beyond?

Nothing much happening.

These photos were taken last Friday.  A bit more flooding and the small dump truck (to the left in the second photo) was accessing the centre area using the underbridge.

I haven't been out since due to yet another cold. :cry:

As for closures, I have no info.

IMG_2169.jpg.b8a97067303aceffb3e2b85d593993fb.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg.b5ec1add77b6346c98584663914673ab.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg.785a0f4e5709fc7aaf591ced4d5d09bd.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a look today, two workers sat in their nice warm tractor cabs doing absolutely nothing over by Lincoln Road and a couple of diggers (unmanned) at the access underpass on the western side and that was the sum total of what I could see. Hardly worth getting the camera out ...

IMG_1353.JPG.d454a471228e83fa6e839fd1033290f0.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Nothing much happening.

These photos were taken last Friday.  A bit more flooding and the small dump truck (to the left in the second photo) was accessing the centre area using the underbridge.

I haven't been out since due to yet another cold. :cry:

As for closures, I have no info.

IMG_2237.jpg.b5ec1add77b6346c98584663914673ab.jpg

Nice Class 70 caught there by the look of it.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Had a look today, two workers sat in their nice warm tractor cabs doing absolutely nothing over by Lincoln Road and a couple of diggers (unmanned) at the access underpass on the western side and that was the sum total of what I could see. Hardly worth getting the camera out ...

IMG_1353.JPG.d454a471228e83fa6e839fd1033290f0.JPG

Things of note from your photo Richard.

It looks as though they are putting in a hard surface to access the underbridge better.

Wooden fence posts around the new curve have been put in all the way back to the access scaffolding on Hurn Road footbridge.  Still no safety fencing on the ECML side.

Lazers (those red things), have been attached to some of the gantry masts of the ECML presumably in leiu of the ones that were originally on the pyramids. Bit clearer image below.

IMG_2193crop.JPG.6299ea37832b33948f005b8bfc948938.JPG

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Nice Class 70 caught there by the look of it.

Yeah, it crept up on me unannounced.  I see a few have been brought back into traffic recently.

The last one I saw was way back in September, dead, in a container train going south on the Joint with a 66 at the front.

Edited by Donington Road

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

It looks as though they are putting in a hard surface to access the underbridge better.

Wooden fence posts around the new curve have been put in all the way back to the access scaffolding on Hurn Road footbridge.  Still no safety fencing on the ECML side.

Lazers (those red things), have been attached to some of the gantry masts of the ECML presumably in leiu of the ones that were originally on the pyramids. Bit clearer image below.

Mentioning lasers there are laser targets in the four foot along the down line on the joint.

Apologies for the quality of my picture, it really isn't that good.

24 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Mentioning lasers there are laser targets in the four foot along the down line on the joint.

INFORMATIVE

Apologies for the quality of my picture, it really isn't that good.

If you are referring to the one you posted earlier then it's fine.  I could spot the differences since Friday.

If you are referring to the picture you mean't to include with this post it's invisible so I can't possibly comment on the quality :jester:

You see, I couldn't possibly rate your last post without some conflict :jester:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Funny 1

Trimble servo Total Station, probably an S10, conducting track monitoring. Results appear in (almost) real time in the survey office, or on whatever delay is set (base readings and routine monitoring are not checked in real time, because it isn’t necessary or useful). During the actual Tunnelling the results will be monitored in real time and fed through to the tunnel team and NR Engineering, typically during Daily Planning Meeting. 

This is a typical setup for this kind of task. There will be a regime for predicted settlement vs tunnel advance, with trigger values for speed restrictions and remedial works. I didn’t see the Monitoring Plan yet but that’s the way it usually operates. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Informative/Useful 6