East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Some photos of the photographs on display at the NR social gathering today.

They were taken in the autumn of last year.

What was interesting was the engineering drawings (unfortunately I couldn't photograph them) of the water flows around Cock Lane.

In my previous post I was joking about the island in the lake.

How it works is that the dirty water flows out of the Bretton culvert into the 'lake'.  The west side of the island is where the 'overflow' from Marholm Brook will enter should it become in flood.

Marholm Brook flows towards the Bretton culvert into a siphon next to the culvert (near the yellow pump where the gap in the culvert is in the photo below), from there it goes into a restricted pipe of 400mm dia underneath the culvert and railway into Werrington Brook.  The Environment Agency have restricted this flow (400mm pipe) so that Werrrington Brook only receives a trickle of water at most to basically keep it damp for wildlife.  Any excess water from Marholm Brook will be automatically diverted into the 'lake' and hence the new drain.  A complicated system to keep the wildlife happy when previously it all went into one outfall where it was potluck whether the water flowed east into Werrington Brook or northwards in the old drain towards Glinton.

Second photo is how it was.

IMG_2571a.jpg.c9d1022dada14c4f4cfe0cc7935f759e.jpg

new.jpg.6b0b9be7cd0bfcad2fce75e88a9109ca.jpg

IMG_2569a.jpg.1e976e25d373ac9593c9b8b291d12c0d.jpg

IMG_2570a.jpg.08fe9d817913708c003914728dd93d19.jpg

IMG_2573a.jpg.1e8ef8217a346184f16a50d80b211236.jpg

IMG_2574a.jpg.6f896f85b31ffd8d8305bc166793f4d7.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
changed last picture
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Found another image taken before the new up and down Stamford lines went live. Photographer unknown, but it is quite atmospheric and gives a much needed feel to this thread of the 24/7 efforts that were ongoing before Christmas.

image.png.5479222a6e13c3de75b502ea9e0348a0.png

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, rockershovel said:

It’s a fascinating project to be involved in

I've watched these capacity increases with interest; there've been other such projects near Nuneaton ( Leicester line to Down WCML) and Stone (Down WCML to Stoke ), and probably others.

About 15 years ago, my wife enrolled for the MSc in Railway Systems Engineering (at Sheffield at the time, since moved to Birmingham). One module was about increasing resilience and capacity ,making use in part of existing, underutilised, connections. This included replacement of flat junctions by fly-overs or dive-unders at key locations; the Railtrack representative dismissed Lynne's proposals as 'too expensive' and 'no business case'. It's been interesting to see how many have been built during the subsequent period. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Found another image taken before the new up and down Stamford lines went live. Photographer unknown, but it is quite atmospheric and gives a much needed feel to this thread of the 24/7 efforts that were ongoing before Christmas.

image.png.5479222a6e13c3de75b502ea9e0348a0.png

Agree, and here is a video taken by someone far more dedicated than me on a cold winter's night.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I've watched these capacity increases with interest; there've been other such projects near Nuneaton ( Leicester line to Down WCML) and Stone (Down WCML to Stoke ), and probably others.

About 15 years ago, my wife enrolled for the MSc in Railway Systems Engineering (at Sheffield at the time, since moved to Birmingham). One module was about increasing resilience and capacity ,making use in part of existing, underutilised, connections. This included replacement of flat junctions by fly-overs or dive-unders at key locations; the Railtrack representative dismissed Lynne's proposals as 'too expensive' and 'no business case'. It's been interesting to see how many have been built during the subsequent period. 

To be fair, the Spalding line was expected to close for a long while. The recent rise in container traffic is the key issue. 

• Agree 1

Part 1

Nothing much to report this week.

Work is continuing with erecting post and wire fencing in the wide way to seperate the ECML and Stamford line towards Walton footbridge.

Some old Stamford track has been moved to the yard of the west site and digging out in the wide way has begun near Cock Lane footbridge.

IMG_2650a.jpg.0d55b90cfcd2321dca336a5e6bb3c5d1.jpg

IMG_2660a.jpg.b70fd844a03c5d7f1afa9419473b06aa.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg.f7fe2e4d9569918a60cfa5a6a1ac8457.jpg

Up at Lincoln Road this RAMS board is giving out information that Anglia Water are working in the area.

I have hit the limit on photos so the next post will reveal what they are doing.

IMG_2620b.jpg.c1b0b9d7afb2a2cf29fe8944b35bccce.jpg

Someone has deleted the photographs that I posted here but have not had the decency to say why or give an explanation

to be continued..........

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

Great photos as usual love the updates, but it might have been a good idea to have blanked out the mobile numbers and names of the Railway Workers before publishing them on the web?  Have you had thier permission to publish thier details?

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Agree 2

Part 2

This overhead water supply pipe is going to be removed and new connections made on the south side of the old Lincoln Road road bridge and at the north end, north of the new bridge that will be erected over the dive-under lines.

67009533_2019-0556.jpg.d57621b040e231be94c5535e309aaab7.jpg

These are the new valves at the south end, in the road surface above the south abutment of the old Lincoln Road bridge.

IMG_2610a.jpg.472d261bce43a2397d46efae3b984622.jpg

The north end approximately where the old Hurn Road and old Lincoln Road merged.

IMG_2617a.jpg.8f57e172593ede19e0389eb1347976e9.jpg

This is a view of the new tarmaced access roadway from Lincoln Road to the new junction near Foxcovert Wood.

The new lines from the dive-under will be to the right of the roadway.

IMG_2612a.jpg.39c608efb3140d8725d840ad60d94d52.jpg

Some work going on down there but difficult to see.

Foxcovert footbridge (green) can be seen in the distance.  The new junction will be about half-way between Foxcovert and Lincoln Road bridges

IMG_2613a.jpg.b3dfa6933ac094d0f6d257303894afc5.jpg

This view has been taken from opposite the white pyramid on the extreme right bottom in the second but one photo.

It shows the site to the east of Lincoln Road.  Lincol Road bridge extreme left, temporary footbridge and the small site compound.

1173688650_lincolnroada.jpg.31b4b07e6f9da693b47115b6a855eed7.jpg

View from Foxcovert footbridge looking west towards Lincoln Road.

The white truck is near where the new junction will be.

IMG_2578a.jpg.b7c60d42626520ec56c8a05907eaafa9.jpg

to be continued...............

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Jaggzuk said:

Great photos as usual love the updates, but it might have been a good idea to have blanked out the mobile numbers and names of the Railway Workers before publishing them on the web?  Have you had thier permission to publish thier details?

FFS the're stuck on aboard if full view of the public on a public highway:diablo_mini:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Agree 3

Part 3

Having not seen much action I thought I would show a bit of history and wildlife around the area.

This is at the foot of Foxcovert footbridge.

IMG_2584a.jpg.feba8d54242817237d7a59f3908d695b.jpg

I have enlarged the next four photos, hope they can be read ok.

IMG_2584a-1.jpg.4d4d2c7dea7c159d98434d25f2597a67.jpg

IMG_2584a-2a.jpg.541bff886f9937ca9515e0daab6ac5b1.jpg

IMG_2584a-3.jpg.f3f1162f0029ffc6417c694ef53fc02d.jpg

IMG_2584a-4.jpg.01ecb3513d2b298c3969ca4bbd0cc0e1.jpg

.....and here is what is left of Sobrite Spring

IMG_2586a.jpg.ff3ed2ea928cfdd2fd068bba9212bbde.jpg

run out of space again,

.......to be continued

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Some nice pictures there.

I was up there at the end of last week. These boards were there then and the tarmac roadway was completed as well. The holes had been dug out for the new stop valves but they hadn't been installed at that point. So it looks as if it was a little bit of progress this week.

I'd looked at the site from the footpath alongside the joint but little to see from it a couple of weeks ago, it might be more worthwhile later on as work progresses.

I'd wondered about Fox Covert Lane footbridge but not had a look.

The start of work on the alignment of the dive under southern portal is new compared to last week so that should be worth watching.

• Informative/Useful 1

Part 4

Wild life trip continues.

In the field opposite Sobrite Spring is the new wildlife area created by Network Rail to house the displaced Greater Crested Newts and other amphibians.IMG_2576a.jpg.b8aaf7ddd25f2315b228e41d391e31b8.jpg

It being such a nice day I thought I would carry on to Hurn Road to video a few trains.

Looking at the videos later a home I spotted these two, a Buzzard surveying an approaching Azuma, and our resident fox having a wander in the wide way.

IMG_2639a.jpg.639f5e6a899c740f959f83acfe098968.jpg

buzzard.JPG.3f20ce014b1558a00aa0b7419c38e24e.JPG

Snapshot5.png.6efd3f36f1e70b7d5158bdda455b035c.png

End

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Some nice pictures there.

I was up there at the end of last week. These boards were there then and the tarmac roadway was completed as well. The holes had been dug out for the new stop valves but they hadn't been installed at that point. So it looks as if it was a little bit of progress this week.

I'd looked at the site from the footpath alongside the joint but little to see from it a couple of weeks ago, it might be more worthwhile later on as work progresses.

I'd wondered about Fox Covert Lane footbridge but not had a look.

The start of work on the alignment of the dive under southern portal is new compared to last week so that should be worth watching.

Thanks Richard.

I wasn't sure what the holes were for last week but now it is obvious.  I think they were doing the valves on Monday as we lost water pressure during the morning and didn't know why.

I guess we will be without water a some stage when they put the new pipe between the valves before dismantling the old system.

Sargeants Way footpath is not very good for viewing at all.  There is far too much vegetation in the way unless you can rig up a camera at the end of a ten foot pole and poke it through :jester:

Not much to be seen from Foxcovert footbridge either, the wood is in the way and it will get even worse as the months go by with trees getting their foliage.

Need a drone :declare:

• Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Part 4

Wild life trip continues.

In the field opposite Sobrite Spring is the new wildlife area created by Network Rail to house the displaced Greater Crested Newts and other amphibians.IMG_2576a.jpg.b8aaf7ddd25f2315b228e41d391e31b8.jpg

It being such a nice day I thought I would carry on to Hurn Road to video a few trains.

Looking at the videos later a home I spotted these two, a Buzzard surveying an approaching Azuma, and our resident fox having a wander in the wide way.

IMG_2639a.jpg.639f5e6a899c740f959f83acfe098968.jpg

buzzard.JPG.3f20ce014b1558a00aa0b7419c38e24e.JPG

Snapshot5.png.6efd3f36f1e70b7d5158bdda455b035c.png

End

It's a female Kestrel. ;) :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Thanks Crun, I'm not a birdie (or should I say Ornithologist) so please accept my ignorance.

They all look the same to me from a distance.  :hunter:

Or a birder even... ;):)

Edited by Crun
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Donington Road said:

FFS the're stuck on aboard if full view of the public on a public highway:diablo_mini:

I agree with the comment about blanking out individual details. The RAMS board is an internal function (RAMS denoting Risk Assessment and Method Statement) which are not documents published externally. This board might be in an exposed location, due to the nature of the site, but it’s not a public information board. Those individuals are internal site contacts for operational reasons. 

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, Donington Road said:

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I agree with the comment about blanking out individual details. The RAMS board is an internal function (RAMS denoting Risk Assessment and Method Statement) which are not documents published externally. This board might be in an exposed location, due to the nature of the site, but it’s not a public information board. Those individuals are internal site contacts for operational reasons. 

Exactly.  On the board they can only be seen by people who go there in person and have business to be there.  Now they can  be seen by the whole internet, including those with less than honourable intentions.

• RMweb Gold

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I agree with the comment about blanking out individual details. The RAMS board is an internal function (RAMS denoting Risk Assessment and Method Statement)

If there is a problem with this board then someone should have done an assessment that it might be photographed from a public right of way. NR and its contractors will know there is interest in a project like this, and those interested will seek out information.

There is far too much paranoia that bad people are searching the internet looking for mobile phone numbers on model railway forums.

I actually think that someone with authority over the site should be easily identified with contact details, should those watching note something that concerns them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

I actually think that someone with authority over the site should be easily identified with contact details, should those watching note something that concerns them.

I agree, those watching, not those behind a computer that have never even been there.  It is not so much Paranoia, but also a moral issue, Who here when asked "Would you like your phone number and photo put on the internet, without your permission, in a context of someone elses choosing?" honestly and wholeheartedly  say "Yes Please!" ?

Edited by Titan

1 minute ago, Titan said:

I agree, those watching, not those behind a computer that have never even been there.  It is not so much Paranoia, but also a moral issue, Who here when asked "Would you like your phone number and photo put on the internet, without your permission, in a context of my choosing?" honestly and wholeheartedly  say "Yes Please!" ?

It’s not even that difficult.

That board is clearly a temporary board, including information such as Task Briefings which are not published externally. Boards like that appear at various locations on that site, or any other site, as required by the relevant SSOW (Safe System Of Work). The contacts are internal site contacts defined under that SSOW and related documents. 

It isn’t a board showing public contact numbers, which are a different matter. 

Morgan Sindall aren’t, AFAIK, members of this forum, and haven’t consented to anything. Those phone numbers are probably their phones, provided to members of site staff for their duties (most sites do this as a matter of course, partly so that when staff leave or are redeployed, the number stays “in post” and ringing the number puts you through to whoever is still doing the job, or it takes you to that individual. It also means that the employer isn’t breaching confidentiality by posting personal phone numbers).

Quite apart from anything else, I feel the forum procedures dictate that pictures of that sort, should not appear. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had one phone number for the last 25 years and it's on the internet and other easily accessible places. I've never had an issue with anyone using it for nefarious purposes and think there is too much paranoia about subjects such as this.

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Morgan Sindall aren’t, AFAIK, members of this forum, and haven’t consented to anything

They don't need to consent. By placing the information in an area which can be viewed by the general public external to the site they have placed the information in the public domain. If they don't want people to know this information, they should have been more careful about where they placed these boards.

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I feel the forum procedures dictate that pictures of that sort, should not appear. 

Report the post, if there is an issue for Warners they will act.

• Agree 4