East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Quite apart from anything else, I feel the forum procedures dictate that pictures of that sort, should not appear. 

I've tried looking at the forum rules and, apart from copyright on photos, I cannot find anything to cover this. However there are 50 pages of, generally, rubbish in that area and just one pinned post which, as mentioned, covers pictures.

The phone number shown is surely a work-provided device, not the person's own mobile, however I agree that it would be better if the number, and photo and name of the person, were not on public view; Should anyone be concerned about the work there are other means of reporting it.

Putting such phone numbers in the public domain can have unintended consequences; Many will have seen the plates on railway bridges giving a number to phone 'the Railway Authority' if the bridge is struck, this rings an Emergency line in the appropriate Network Rail Control and will always be answered immediately, if need be at the expense of other calls and work; One evening, on that line, I had a number of calls from people on a car treasure hunt ! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

It’s not even that difficult.

That board is clearly a temporary board, including information such as Task Briefings which are not published externally. Boards like that appear at various locations on that site, or any other site, as required by the relevant SSOW (Safe System Of Work). The contacts are internal site contacts defined under that SSOW and related documents. 

It isn’t a board showing public contact numbers, which are a different matter. 

Morgan Sindall aren’t, AFAIK, members of this forum, and haven’t consented to anything. Those phone numbers are probably their phones, provided to members of site staff for their duties (most sites do this as a matter of course, partly so that when staff leave or are redeployed, the number stays “in post” and ringing the number puts you through to whoever is still doing the job, or it takes you to that individual. It also means that the employer isn’t breaching confidentiality by posting personal phone numbers).

Quite apart from anything else, I feel the forum procedures dictate that pictures of that sort, should not appear. 

Does it say 'Private and Confidential ' on that board because if it doesn't then it isn't.   Everybody nowadays knows there are cameras and even 'phones capable of taking quite detailed photos of objects a long distance away.  If those responsible for such things have no wish for them to be seen by the public than it is part of their responsibility to ensure that such things can't be seen.   Somehow I suspect that they would at least be happy that the wider world with an understanding of such things does at least know they are doing the job properly because nowadays we see an awful lot of things going on around us where that is quite often not the case.   

And this site is not alone in having such information in a place where it can be seen from beyond the site fence (and there's a site near us where I would love to see it in the hope that it might actually exist because some of their methods are in my view not the best in the world or indeed up to contemporary practice when working adjacent to a public highway.

It is  really no more than very basic plain common or garden common sense, so maybe time to put the storm back in the teacup?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It is  really no more than very basic plain common or garden common sense, so maybe time to put the storm back in the teacup?

I for one would hate to lose these fascinating pictures of a major engineering project which are much appreciated. So can we all move on please.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, royaloak said:

Ah that old chestnut, whatever happened to common courtesy?

No - the railway was for ever (it seemed) very good at signing things as 'private' and heading things like Instructions etc as 'Private and Not for Publication' and so on.  So common sense, a natural partner perhaps to 'common courtesy', would be good watchwords in my view.  I'm returning to my teacup - fortunately the real storm is outside both it and the house.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Had a look today.

I started at Cock Lane bridge where the pumps are handling much more water again. Lots of used track panels in the background.

IMG_9495

Then across to look at the alignment of the dive under approach from the south. Very little difference here to the photos last week from Donington Road except that the old track panels are slowly being moved.

IMG_9498

Looking south it seems that they are putting up a quite substantial fence on the western side of the approach. The fence that was alongside the worksite to the west of the new alignment has also been removed.

IMG_9497

Moving on to Hurn Road footbridge and there is quite a good view of the piling rig and an associated crane. There appears to be a walkway or vehicle access across the new alignment visible as well so the access underpass is not, presumably, completed as yet. In any case it will feed in at depth so it isn't usable at present even if completed.

IMG_1375

And finally across to Lincoln Road on the joint line. Here we can see that the stop valves on the northern side of the lines are now buried in concrete. The RAMS board is still in full view and there is a second just under the A15 bridge that can be seen from a public path.

IMG_9499

And it is quite clear now where the junction on the joint for the dive under will be. If you look carefully at the fencing alongside the existing line it changes in form just to the right of the centre of the picture and that higher fence line is maintained right up to the end of the taper where the haul road meets the fence. Nearer to Lincoln Road the fence has been removed altogether.

IMG_1376

Where the new Hurn Road comes in and is crossed by the haul road they are increasing the width of the access into the eastern compound. And whilst I was there I overheard a conversation where there was some concern that an expected concrete delivery was overdue.

I've taken to parking in Werrington and walking across to Hurn Road footbridge as it helps towards my getting some sorely needed exercise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

Had a look today.

You did well to get some decent photos before the weather turned this afternoon.

Nice to see a photo of the large piling rig in action, it's usually got its back to me whenever I go.

The underpass is being used for pumping concrete to the piling in the wide-way from west of the Stamford lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

For those who might be interested there is an article on the Werrington Upgrade in the latest edition of Rail Engineer.

It can be viewed and/or downloaded here:

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2020/02/08/rail-engineer-january-february-2020-christmas-works-roundup-stations-focus-azumas-highest-challenge-and-engineers-shining-at-the-railstaff-awards/

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

For those who might be interested there is an article on the Werrington Upgrade in the latest edition of Rail Engineer.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2020/02/08/rail-engineer-january-february-2020-christmas-works-roundup-stations-focus-azumas-highest-challenge-and-engineers-shining-at-the-railstaff-awards/

Very detailed technical article. Some of it over my head. Must have another read later on this week.

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I see a picture that you might be familiar with as the header.

And a familiar photograph on page 33 published with permission ...

Edited by Richard E
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick look today.

From Hurn Road footbridge it is possible to see the stacks of rebar (centre of picture). The piling rig has also moved.

IMG_1379

And over on Lincoln Road the road surface has disappeared. They appear to be digging down to remove the water main that was capped earlier.

IMG_9500

Whilst at Cock Lane bridge they've temporarily diverted the footpath as they are installing some pipes.

IMG_9501

IMG_9502

The area dug out earlier in the wideway is where the Up Stamford will eventually go, they've started with putting in the gravel sub-base it seems.

IMG_1382

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

21 minutes ago, Richard E said:

A quick look today.

Whilst at Cock Lane bridge they've temporarily diverted the footpath as they are installing some pipes.

IMG_9501

IMG_9502

I think that pipework is the overflow from the Werrington Brook/Marholm Brook siphon back to the new drain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Had a look again today.

Lincoln Road, this seems to be the spot where the best views of what is going on are available at the moment. The old road has been dug out but they seem to be putting in a work platform.

IMG_9533

IMG_9532

The water main appears to be being diverted temporarily to run under the footbridge.

IMG_9536

It is interesting to see how much has been dug out in respect of the area of the old road under the A15.

IMG_9534

Meanwhile a bit of work continues over at Cock Lane footbridge where the new down Stamford alignment is being prepared. The roller is where the new trackbed will be from what I can gather.

IMG_1386

IMG_1387

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

Had a look again today.

Ha, we were in opposite places at the same time today, whilst you were driving from one to the other I was peddling furiously in the opposite direction :crazy:

Had ten minutes at Hurn Road footbridge and that was enough.  It was so cold with the biting wind, even the stuffed heron in the grass field had waves lapping at his feet.

Not much happening there, still piling in the wide-way.  I have heard what sounds like sheet piling during the night this week but could not see any evidence of it.

Most noticeable is the amount of work being done at Lincoln Road as your photos illustrate.

Down at Cock Lane, other than the preperation of the up Stamford trackbed not much visible activity.  There is quite a bit of water about, the large pipes that carried the pumped water from Bretton bypassing the new culvert have now been disconnected and the temporary footbridge over them has been removed so disabled access is now possible over the new footbridge.

Some old track has been removed from the site yard, but there is still a lot to be taken out of the wide-way as can been seen in your photographs.

They are still working in exactly the same spot on the overflow pipe for Marholm Brook which you showed in your last but one post, in fact, it looked as though they were digging it out again using the digger with the narrow bucket and a dumper taking away the spoil.

Again too cold to stay for very long, but at least there is a bit of shelter from the wind at the new footbridge.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Just been watching some video footage I took today of trains at Cock Lane and noticed something I couldn't see at the time.

There is a plethoria of small dumpers using the underbridge to take spoil away from the wide-way.

It is quite a long journey from near the large pile driver, down under the Stamford lines, across the new river then towards Hurn Road to dump the spoil at the back of the site furthest from the railway, there is quite a sizeable mound being built up.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Didn’t seem to be a lot going on when I was there yesterday (Sunday) morning 

very wet everywhere though 

There is a lot of work going on in the Jacking Box, in the Triangle, but this is not really visible from the overbridges. You need to be on site to get a good view into the Box 

• Informative/Useful 4

Quote received from a colleague today.

>  Nipped over to Cock Lane this afternoon, was a load of people inspecting the bridge.  It appears they are going to remove some of the yellow hand rails.

The hand rails will remain on the ramp slopes, and be removed on the end and straight sections. This is to stop people climbing on them, and ALL the end panels might be raised not just the one we know about, so its watch this space. <

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Donington Road said:

>  Nipped over to Cock Lane this afternoon, was a load of people inspecting the bridge.  It appears they are going to remove some of the yellow hand rails.

The hand rails will remain on the ramp slopes, and be removed on the end and straight sections. This is to stop people climbing on them, and ALL the end panels might be raised not just the one we know about, so its watch this space. <

It sounds like you will need a box to stand on for viewing and taking photographs in the future...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I'm not surprised, the handrails are custom made as a ladder. Shame if they are raising the height of the sides and ends though.Do you know which end one they have been talking about? I'd suspect it is on the Stirling Way side of the lines as the steps and ramp are pretty close to the track. I hope my steps are tall enough ...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

I'm not surprised, the handrails are custom made as a ladder. Shame if they are raising the height of the sides and ends though.Do you know which end one they have been talking about? I'd suspect it is on the Stirling Way side of the lines as the steps and ramp are pretty close to the track. I hope my steps are tall enough ...

Initially it was only the Stirling Way side. The first ramp going down, that end was to have half of it panelled to 1.8m high and the first 'balcony' of the stairs the same.  The reason given was someone could poke a stick or umbrella(:rolleyes:) at the electric cables.

The worst offenders for idiocity that I have seen have been parents allowing their very young offspring to climb the handrails and hang over the edge of the bridge.  Generally, older unaccompanied children that I have seen, seem to have more sense and respect of their surroundings.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Thanks 1