East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

4 hours ago, great central said:

If you took that yesterday around 09.30 I was the guard, it's 156403, 09.24 arrival and 09.32 departure from Peterborough. 

I took it around 13:00 from memory.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

My good friend has been out late today and returned with these photos.

The large piling machine has arrived at the Lincoln Road bridge ready to start it's magic for the new bridge piers.

1lincolnroad.jpg.6c24f04fb0838b98ff9aa8b97cc01fc4.jpg

3lincolnroad.jpg.9131ae45bc5bd0f75d9fde0eebed53c3.jpg

That's a vicious looking bit of kit. I assume the sprayed markings are where they will be drilling initially.

It seems we are going to see quite a few changes over the next few weeks.

• Agree 1

On 19/05/2020 at 16:34, corneliuslundie said:

Slightly larger than the 0.5 mm drill I was using earlier for modelling.

Thanks to all who are posting photos of progress. Much appreciated.

Jonathan

My first day out since 13th March.  I was hoping to get some video of the piling in action but there was just too many people about not keeping their distance, so I came home again with the one photo below and 33 seconds of video which isn't worth posting.

You would have a job holding these in your pin vice Jonathan :jester:

I would say they are about 30-36 inches diameter.

EDIT, those core drills are 1 metre diameter.

IMG_3220.jpg.313e36569b3eb7ade91b16d957c59c46.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
updated info
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

Many thanks for your video Mick. I hope you enjoy filming more work close to Werrington in the future. We now have activity here and at the southern most part of the site.

Edited by Crun
Removing video.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

How long was the pumped concrete left befor the boring tool was removed?

I notice the technique withe the auger varies .

In Birmingham at the Paradise development, whilst doing similar piling work when the auger was withdrawn it was kept turning to throw off the soil.

EDIT post tidied up, not sure how it ended up so corrupted, it seemed to be OK when I posted

Edited by melmerby

45 minutes ago, melmerby said:

How long was the pumped concrete left befor the boring tool was removed?

ice the technique withe the auger varies .

In Birmingham at the paradise development, whilst doing similar piling work when the auger was withdrawn it was kept turning to throw off the soil.

The concrete was left for less than 10 minutes.  Long enough for the small digger to get out of the way to let the piling machine back in with clamping ring.  Virtually real time as your saw it in the video.

They stop the auger to deposit most of the soil to one side of the casing making it easier for the small digger to scoop it up and load the dumper.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Crun said:

Many thanks for this video Mick. I hope you enjoy filming more work close to Werrington in the future. We now have activity here and at the southern most part of the site.

Still a bit sceptical about going to Cock Lane where it is hard to keep your distance on the bridge from other people.  I was lucky today as I managed to hog a small corner of the site without any one coming too close as they did yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The concrete was left for less than 10 minutes.  Long enough for the small digger to get out of the way to let the piling machine back in with clamping ring.  Virtually real time as your saw it in the video.

Presumably the object of the method of wortking is that once the concrete has been poured, get the boring ring out and the still fluid concrete fills the void.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Presumably the object of the method of wortking is that once the concrete has been poured, get the boring ring out and the still fluid concrete fills the void.

That is it in a nutshell.

Also when they top up the concrete the time difference between the first and second pour isn't too long,  if it was, it would create a weak joint in the pile where the first pour had changed from a liquid to solid state.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

That video is brilliant. Many thanks.

Jonathan

Thank you.  I'm a little peeved though.  After watching it  a couple of dozen times during assembly of the many video clips during editing, then rendering, then a couple of final viewings before uploading to YouTube, I never spotted a spelling mistake on the very first clip,:wild::banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 2