East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Done a bit more digging re Acrobat.

Adober Reader DC (Free) does not play inserted media  as standard.

You can add it and many other options, but are a subscription feature but you can have a one week trial.

It seems that by doing so you are upgrading DC to the full Pro version.

I have Pro version 10.  I just didn't think that most people have only the reader part and not the extortionally priced full version of Acrobat.

An very good alternative to Adobe Acrobat which is subscrption only, is the standalone program Master PDF Editor.  https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/

I use it on Linux but it is also available for Windows and Mac.

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I left the site several weeks ago, as part of the general closure and down-manning of several Morgan Sindall sites due to Covid19

Broadly speaking, it isn’t feasible to drive the TBM from the wide way. It goes back to Hurn Road and starts again. There is a complex set of variables whereby the support sledges either come out at the wide way, or are retrieved from Hurn Road depending on the progress of the next phase (tunnel fit-out). There are numerous variables relating to getting these loads, and the crane itself, past the OHLE and working the crane so I don’t care to predict how long it would be there. 

Can anyone please tell me how they do the sheet piling directly under the Cock Lane bridge? 

• Agree 1

A bit more action this morning from my friend who is braver than me venturing out during the day.

There is also some electrical cables being fed through the trunking next to the Down Fast and work being done in the four foot at the junction, although it is not obvious what.

Temporary possesion was taken of the Stamford lines during some piling and a speed restriction was in place on the ECML due to the work being done at the junction.

This video is courtesy of Trackside ECML  whose train videos are can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOe_03zJEFYDNdBu56HfKeQ/videos

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Some images here of the tunnel boring that were posted to Facebook by John Pentney. I'll remove if required.

I'm not sure what each one shows but I've tried some intelligent guesses (well, I think they are!). I think they are worth seeing as they are 'inside' the site and show bits we cannot view otherwise.

Having said that no ideas on this first one.

101612365_10217570008422568_7692739052264488960_n.jpg.9f855ea6a576ec604ac524b1794c2718.jpg

The second and third seem, to me, to show the progress on the box that will evdentually be slid under the ECML.

101813703_10217570009342591_6652268853847916544_n.jpg.dad95812e86ac36822e571b07040935f.jpg

102690945_10217570009822603_8902919312809918464_n.jpg.02d146c9d8ff4387ea357f5b33add5dc.jpg

Again, no ideas on the last two.

101510110_10217570010462619_113973554269126656_n.jpg.3020e36a7050ef1bcb662b66b6359dc5.jpg

101746940_10217570011662649_4164071750973259776_n.jpg.b50c7deb630465b886632019e2b8793f.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As an unqualified  observer they look to me like photos of the actual concrete dive under being assembled ready to be pushed into place using the rails/skids that are going to be installed in the two tunnels that are being bored.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

First picture shows the drive pit, from the West side, looking South. The cherry-picker is facing the second, East entry point. 

Subsequent pictures are the box sections under construction. 

Last two are from the South end, looking North and showing various details of the tunnelling compound. The grey cabin is the tally hut, the entry to the access stair and the ventilation ducting. The L-shaped concrete sections in the foreground are spare sections for the temporary arisings holding bin, and the two white and red silos are the tunnel grout 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 04/06/2020 at 20:15, Crun said:

Can anyone please tell me how they do the sheet piling directly under the Cock Lane bridge? 

A reply from another forum:

Future of Rail | Curved box jack under East Coast Main Line junction - New Civil Engineer

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/the-future-of/future-of-rail-curved-box-jack-takes-out-east-coast-main-line-junction-19-02-2020/

An informative article. Does anyone have a more specific explanation as to how the piling under the Cock Lane footbridge will be done given the reduced headroom under the new bridge?

Edited by Crun
Update and add a more specific question
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Crun said:

Does anyone have a more specific explanation as to how the piling under the Cock Lane footbridge will be done given the reduced headroom under the new bridge?

I wonder if they will do the same as under the A15 and use an auger to drill down to create cast columns. Pure supposition of course on my part.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just been told that the tunnel/portal installation under the main line has been put back from September until next February. This is because of the risk assessment for the tunnelling activity which required close working between more than one individual, i.e, less than 2 m.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Exposing the recently installed piles at Lincoln Road.

IMG_3463.jpg.c3d98ff3cdefe83bb8919d4a4bfc9ecd.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg.bdd5cabf11f349976b57a03627119e44.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg.99c7d985f17552b65ec9f1bc46680b37.jpg

Retaining wall being worked on and a haul road being constructed under Hurn Road bridge.

Is it still Hurn Road or does it/will it have a new name?

IMG_3469c.jpg.aaa432bb75b04a90795b2401a2dbc94b.jpg

IMG_3470c.jpg.ec711cc64ac25e3ce3b53eb1b56c101b.jpg

IMG_3471c.jpg.5c7be3ccd2a34f092ff80448983affd1.jpg

IMG_3472c.jpg.3f9b4108f267e676b121ecd9c21100a8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a photofest from today. Having gone pretty much stir crazy I've been out today and taken some pictures whilst being able to pretty much social distance. Not many folk about at all.

Starting at Cock Lane they are still working on the brook where it goes under the ECML. There was a large hopper bucket went into the hole before they started moving the pipework for the concrete pumping around.

IMG_1446

This is the view looking north towards the TBM reception pit. The large crane that was there has gone so it would seem the TBM has been recovered.

IMG_1448

There was work going on under the bridge as well and I think this answers the question of how they are dealing with the limited clearance issues - they are using an auger to drill holes for concrete columns. At one point the chap on the telehoist was taking pictures.

IMG_9665

IMG_9666 IMG_9668

And now we can see progress on the ramp.

IMG_9667

Then moving to Hurn Road we have a shot looking south to the same point.

IMG_1450

And I also had a look at Lincoln Road as I park in Werrington and walk across to the Hurn Road footbridge. Starting with what will be the new underbridge it can be seen that the piles will form the basics of the new bridge abutments.

IMG_9669

Under the A15 the newly cast walls are being protected with timber whilst gravel dug out from the Lincoln Road bridge site is dumped in here.

IMG_9670

IMG_9672

And it can be seen how much they've got done on the new wall.

IMG_9673

Although I don't have a picture what struck me was the sheer amount of steel reinforcing going into the wall.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Bit of a photofest from today. Having gone pretty much stir crazy I've been out today and taken some pictures whilst being able to pretty much social distance. Not many folk about at all.

This is the view looking north towards the TBM reception pit. The large crane that was there has gone so it would seem the TBM has been recovered.

There was work going on under the bridge as well and I think this answers the question of how they are dealing with the limited clearance issues - they are using an auger to drill holes for concrete columns. At one point the chap on the telehoist was taking pictures.

Then moving to Hurn Road we have a shot looking south to the same point.

It was suggested by the authorities at home that as it is raining it would be better to stay at indoors today and do some jobs that needed doing :notme:

The TBM is back at the Hurn Road end AFAIK.  There was a large crane there very similar to the 500t green one, but it is yellow.

They also use the auger for sheet piling to break up the ground before vibrating/hammering the steel sheets in.  You may have seen previously that the same machine (the very tall one) does both the drilling with the auger and the sheet piling.  The smaller machine in your photo probably does the same where there is limited headroom.  There were some short lengths of steel piles there on Friday which were about a third of the length of the long ones.  Maybe they put a short section in then weld another on top of it and so on to get the required depth, pure speculation on my part.

Did you see that Briton's are back this week doing snagging work on Cock Lane footbridge which should have been done in February.  Perhaps they've left it until now so they could tighten all the bolts that have been vibrated loose with the piling.:scared:

I can't believe how much work has been done at Hurn Road in the 24 hours since I took those photos yesterday.  I think they must be working there during the night, although the planned week of nightime piling at Cock Lane has not happened, yet.

The high amount of reinforcing in the retaining wall is about protecting the A15 overbridge should there ever be a derailment.  I think the new Lincoln Road overbridge will incorporate the reinforcing within the abutments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Looks to me that it was ever so convenient that the A15 underpass was there. Has this been pre-planned from long ago? 

I will stick my head over the parapet and say no.

The original Hurn Road had a junction with Lincoln Road virtually at the brow of the Lincoln Road bridge.  When The A15/Werrington Parkway was constructed around 30 years ago the Hurn Road junction was removed and a curved road section was made to connect with the old Lincoln Road about 100 yards to the north of the Lincoln Road bridge.  It is convenient to put the railway through it but it will look sort of odd as the railway will be much lower than the original road was and it is slightly skewed to the alignment of the railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

It was suggested by the authorities at home that as it is raining it would be better to stay at indoors today and do some jobs that needed doing :notme:

The TBM is back at the Hurn Road end AFAIK.  There was a large crane there very similar to the 500t green one, but it is yellow.

They also use the auger for sheet piling to break up the ground before vibrating/hammering the steel sheets in.  You may have seen previously that the same machine (the very tall one) does both the drilling with the auger and the sheet piling.  The smaller machine in your photo probably does the same where there is limited headroom.  There were some short lengths of steel piles there on Friday which were about a third of the length of the long ones.  Maybe they put a short section in then weld another on top of it and so on to get the required depth, pure speculation on my part.

Did you see that Briton's are back this week doing snagging work on Cock Lane footbridge which should have been done in February.  Perhaps they've left it until now so they could tighten all the bolts that have been vibrated loose with the piling.:scared:

I can't believe how much work has been done at Hurn Road in the 24 hours since I took those photos yesterday.  I think they must be working there during the night, although the planned week of nightime piling at Cock Lane has not happened, yet.

The high amount of reinforcing in the retaining wall is about protecting the A15 overbridge should there ever be a derailment.  I think the new Lincoln Road overbridge will incorporate the reinforcing within the abutments.

I managed to avoid the rain!

I did wonder about short sheet piles and welding sections together so maybe I've jumped too quickly on assuming it was going to be bored.

When I was at Cock Lane there were three men working on the underside of the ramps on the eastern side.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

I managed to avoid the rain!

I did wonder about short sheet piles and welding sections together so maybe I've jumped too quickly on assuming it was going to be bored.

When I was at Cock Lane there were three men working on the underside of the ramps on the eastern side.

Due to no public meetings and lack of information coming from on the ground many alternative thoughts and ideas abound with the local watchers.  Not least the one of the big hand in the sky lifting the centre span of Cock Lane bridge so the big piler can get in. :jester:

As you saw today, a lot of concrete has been poured in to the Werrington Brook tunnel area.  You cannot see what is being done, albeit, some wooden shuttering was put up.  My guess was a mini culvert, but there has been no rebar to be seen.  In the picture below two quite substantial 'I' beams have been driven in near the brook, there is a small cut off piece just in front of them.

I wonder, for what purpose those are for. :scratchhead:

ibeam.jpg.2b13c557160d5e7e8f05bfdd7ac5080e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Saturday 13th June the Lincoln Road A15 bridge in the Werrington end of the works. Views of the revealed reinforced concrete piles.

20200613_135443.jpg

20200613_135526.jpg

20200613_135140.jpg

20200613_135119.jpg

20200613_134956.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Crun said:

Yes. No workers about in that area. Shovels etc also left in the open.

Must be trustworthy around Posh.

Most places they would be on e-Bay by now!:jester: