East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

Had a little wander this morning.

Firstly I must say it was good to see Mick again, we 'bumped' into each other at Lincoln Road.

I started at Cock Lane. The first thing I noticed was the headspan just south of the bridge has gone and the gantry has been wired.

IMG_9674

Then the reason for numbering next to the cuts of the piling that could be seen on Micks video became apparent, they are welding the sheets back together! Having gas cut the piles they are now arc welding them when rejoining.

IMG_1451

I then went across to Lincoln Road where the piles which will form the new bridge abutments are being exposed. For some reason those at rail end this side have been cut back whilst they haven't on the far side.

IMG_9677

And finally they are still filling in under the A15 so that they have access with machinery. This will, finally, need to be dug out when the time to get some track in place arrives.

IMG_9678

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good to see you today Richard :good:

At least those cut off ends you recorded are being put to good use :rolleyes:

Just a few more photos to supplement those that you posted today.

Using the tooth pick to clear away filling around the piles at Lincoln Road.

IMG_3644c.jpg.2c2333174ddd5f179918ee212478c881.jpg

IMG_3651c.jpg.06e5d69d710f13c1b779dc546e9bddf5.jpg

The north side piles of the new Lincoln Road bridge.

IMG_3650c.jpg.bfa71c1f45306e3776de04e7e6a6deb4.jpg

The Hurn Road retaining wall from the opposite side.

IMG_3652c.jpg.d4df2d83e4700f0e85c4da753ea1cca1.jpg

Lots of new materials hidden behind the trees have been delivered to the Hurn Road end of the site.

Many pallets of what look like wooden fencing posts (dark colour), steel box section and enough sheets of plywood to build us all shed or two many times over.

IMG_3659c_renamed_6897.jpg.dd1f51b9c904bdbca4273d93b226ef73.jpg

IMG_3659cc.JPG.e8272a17e8ee091404f808019deb2900.JPG

Then there are these girders which are probably for going across the top of the ramp as it emeges from the dive-under.

IMG_3660c.jpg.1b23525ee15f6d1cc0fee414b159a63d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The hammer has come out to play and a few more going ons around Cock Lane.

You can see, at about 1:00 and again at 1:15, that there is some minor damage to the underside of the footbridge already.

Also at about 7:15 when the girders are delivered the wagon is running with the tractor tag axle down, running heavy and needing the extra traction that it provides.

The 225 at 9:00 was quite widely flagged on social media, it had run all the way from Edinburgh and was limited to 110mph maximum according to the LNER Twitter feed. Some others had said 100mph.

The concrete going in on Werrington Brook is substantial as I understand that is where the up Stamford line will run when the project is completed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

The concrete going in on Werrington Brook is substantial as I understand that is where the up Stamford line will run when the project is completed.

The one area I cannot understand at the moment is the large concrete pipes going in near Marholm Brook.

As Marholm Brook is 'clean water' which will feed into Werrington Brook, where is this new feed coming from that could be classed as clean water?

I have seen the drainage plans awhile ago but don't recall having seen this work on them.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Crun said:

Recent aerial photographs:

Thank you for those excellent photos.

Do to the limitations of RMweb those three aerial photographs that Crun so kindly posted cannot be enlarged to reveal more detail.

The original files can be downloaded from nrairops.

Once saved they can then be enlarged.

INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE ORIGINAL FILES (when using FireFox)

left click on the image below

in the Twitter account that pops up left click on the image again

when the large view of the image appears right click and choose save image as

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Do to the limitations of RMweb those three aerial photographs that Crun so kindly posted cannot be enlarged to reveal more detail.

Depends what you are viewing on!

When I click on the image in RMWeb, it scales to 1365px x 910px (size is 16.5" x 10.5") from an original posted size of 1500px x 1000px which shows a fair bit of detail.

However the facebook image is less detailed when saved.

EDIT

I have now managed to extract the jpg image from the HTML page (not straightforward) , so it is at original resolution of 4096px x 2523px

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Depends what you are viewing on!

When I click on the image in RMWeb, it scales to 1365px x 910px (size is 16.5" x 10.5") from an original posted size of 1500px x 1000px which shows a fair bit of detail.

However the facebook image is less detailed when saved.

EDIT

I have now managed to extract the jpg image from the HTML page (not straightforward) , so it is at original resolution of 4096px x 2523px

I have amended the original post with instructions of how to download the original images from Twitter.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I have amended the original post with instructions of how to download the original images from Twitter.

The problem I had that it was saving the jpg as an html file, which obviously when you tried to open it, it wouldn't.

So I had to save it extracted from the "original image info" and appended as a .jpg and as "all files"

EDIT

I'm not quite sure what was going on as it seems OK now.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Crun said:

Recent aerial photographs:

EaivroNXYAY-8df.jpg

EaivroRXgAUhv56.jpg

EaivroNXYAcvGum.jpg

Excellent 

i was wondering where the new Siemens REB was.

the big yellow crane (top photo) was used to place it on its base as the delivery lorry could not get close enough 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

Excellent 

i was wondering where the new Siemens REB was.

the big yellow crane (top photo) was used to place it on its base as the delivery lorry could not get close enough 

I presume that is the white box between the crane and relay building.

Is it to replace the existing relay building?

box.jpg.60413b240b75519a73455f53f5c2b126.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

Relocatable Equipment Building for signalling

Sometimes known as 'Portacabin' in the wider world though as with 'Hover' the word Portacabin is a trademark of one specific company so the generic 'REB' is used in official documentation.

Usually refereed to as a 'Superloc' (Super Location Case) by us S&T - as a building full of hardwired signalling kit is hardly going to be 'relocated' that much.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Went over to daughters for Fathers Day so popped in to look at the site as it is on the way. Absolutely dead, no one working. All pictures are from Cock Lane.

IMG_1452

IMG_1453

Apparently the portal visible on the middle right was erected last night according to a post on Facebook. That post has some detailed pictures from within the possession on it.

IMG_1454

IMG_1455

IMG_1456

IMG_9704

It looks as if they've dug down next to the piles under the footbridge here.

IMG_9710

They've tidied up along here.

IMG_9709

The next two are from the footpath from Stirling Way to the footbridge.

IMG_9702

Not sure what this hole is about but it had, from what I could see, a pretty sizeable pipe in it.

IMG_9703

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

47 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Went over to daughters for Fathers Day so popped in to look at the site as it is on the way. Absolutely dead, no one working. All pictures are from Cock Lane.

Apparently the portal visible on the middle right was erected last night according to a post on Facebook. That post has some detailed pictures from within the possession on it.

It looks as if they've dug down next to the piles under the footbridge here.

Not sure what this hole is about but it had, from what I could see, a pretty sizeable pipe in it.

I think most of the work has stopped at weekends partly due to the social distancing and the put back from September to February next year of the TBM work.

The recent letters I have received regarding the planned nighttime working has not happened at all.

It is about time that portal was put up, it had been laying in the grass next to the junction since the beginning of December last year.  It probably should have been erected last Christmas when they had the possesion to do all the re-stringing of the OHE.

Under the bridge they dug a fairly deep trench to accomodate the first and longest sheet piles before vibrating them in.

I'm also a bit mystified as to where this water is coming from for that large pipe and eventual outfall into Marholm Brook.

In my last video, 16min in, it shows the pipe being lowered into the hole.

• Like 2

More photos from my friend taken this afternoon.

Another layer of short sheets being welded to the existing ones under Cock Lane footbridge.

DSC_0386.jpg.9862222f7f85063ee4f946f532d480b8.jpg

Getting ready to pump concrete in to the formwork around Werrington Brook.

DSC_0391.jpg.00478ce147fb944fc9faca6a7868d8cf.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg.974136947c6a0e3c74e24b374bd29c4f.jpg

Three more Portakabins have arrived on site.

DSC_0398.jpg.6ee453acaabb63a22e48e328de5c9bda.jpg

I don't know whether it is the excavation or the mystery that deepens.

What can they be doing so deep in one spot?

Drainage problems?

DSC_0421.jpg.ca05f8cd4eef8b85cea5e940ea6ec321.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg.8aa50c5a493bf94e0e784fa186c406d7.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
atrocious spelling
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1