East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

1 hour ago, Crun said:

More trains per hour:

East Coast Main Line to get £350m for digital signal system

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lincolnshire-53141103

Can we all take a moment to marvel at this journalistic gem:

Much of the rail signalling in the UK uses Victorian technology, with line-side traffic lights controlling the trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Can we all take a moment to marvel at this journalistic gem:

Much of the rail signalling in the UK uses Victorian technology, with line-side traffic lights controlling the trains.

In laymen's terms that's exactly what it is. (although the first traffic light in Victorian times was gas powered.)

We don't have speed signalling like many other countries, just route signalling like on the roads.

• Like 1

Quick visit to Cock Lane this evening.

The concrete covering over Werrington Brook is nearing completion.

IMG_3774.jpg.02c0fef92182f6cbfa2e6344e02c2095.jpg  IMG_3768.jpg.ff3eb0658704c99acdf97f378a761bea.jpg

The large excavation in the wide-way has been having concrete pumped in for something.  The pipe extends under and to the far side of the Stamford lines.

2129951704_largehole2.jpg.ae41fb22c6336ab5cad58e985746dec2.jpg

large_hole.jpg.234a9f02c71f025155325f01c6baca5f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Quick visit to Cock Lane this evening.

The concrete covering over Werrington Brook is nearing completion.

IMG_3774.jpg.02c0fef92182f6cbfa2e6344e02c2095.jpg  IMG_3768.jpg.ff3eb0658704c99acdf97f378a761bea.jpg

The large excavation in the wide-way has been having concrete pumped in for something.  The pipe extends under and to the far side of the Stamford lines.

2129951704_largehole2.jpg.ae41fb22c6336ab5cad58e985746dec2.jpg

large_hole.jpg.234a9f02c71f025155325f01c6baca5f.jpg

A drainage channel of some kind?

On 21/06/2020 at 15:31, Donington Road said:

I presume that is the white box between the crane and relay building.

Is it to replace the existing relay building?

box.jpg.60413b240b75519a73455f53f5c2b126.jpg

Relocate-able Equipment Building 

it’s the new grey factory fitted relay room

not sure if it replaces or supplements the existing brick built relay room  

• Informative/Useful 1

On 22/06/2020 at 21:59, Crun said:

More trains per hour:

East Coast Main Line to get £350m for digital signal system

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lincolnshire-53141103

Old news

spending money that has already been announced.

at least they managed to use a picture of an Azuma even if it was not on the ECML 

I've seen the same report with a picture of a Virgin Pendolino! 

Edited by ess1uk
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/06/2020 at 21:45, Donington Road said:

Possibly, the area has a few natural springs and a high water table so it is more than likely that an unforeseen drainage problem has occured.

I did wonder if it is there to drain rain water as it falls into the open entrance to the dive-under. 

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

The local consensus, i.e., me, thinks this is what is going on over Werrington Brook. :scratchhead: Scroll down

1755882751_2020-0655.jpg.565693077ded44be68ac768576d20733.jpg

DSC_0600-signal.JPG.261c632c98ec8fb7d13cdbacd7b6dcb2.JPG

Whilst I am tempted to agree it is a heck of a lot of work when the signal could be located 5 or 10 metres further north with an awful lot less concrete going in there. Mind you on further thought it does seem that there needs to have been some work done to move the trackbed to its new location so maybe the saving isn't that great.

On 07/05/2020 at 14:08, Donington Road said:

Some more photos taken today from Cock Lane by my good friend.

First we have a new OHEL gantry spanning the area near to Werrington Brook.  The bases for this were done last August leading to speculation as to what they were for, now we know.

That was really forward planning.  I guess the single stanchion in the forground needs to be removed so further work can be done on the Brook which is just to the left of it.

DSC_1362c.jpg.8957724ae159370fcc8c4f924f5bd6fb.jpg

pan1c.jpg.cd5af76dcd33e4ea1670fe4d96f39008.jpg

pan2c.jpg.1ad2113d39fa817e299ff187a16e4653.jpg

... So why has the new gantry been placed with one post squarely in the middle of where the Midland line will be inserted once the dive-under has been completed?

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Whilst I am tempted to agree it is a heck of a lot of work when the signal could be located 5 or 10 metres further north with an awful lot less concrete going in there. Mind you on further thought it does seem that there needs to have been some work done to move the trackbed to its new location so maybe the saving isn't that great.

The boxed section over Werrington Brook had to be done to support the future Up Stamford so I suppose they are making use of that as a foundation to fix the signal to rather than having to do a seperate excavation and foundation elsewhere.

3 hours ago, nigel newling said:

... So why has the new gantry been placed with one post squarely in the middle of where the Midland line will be inserted once the dive-under has been completed?

Not quite a head on photo, but as you can see there is plenty of room for the Up Stamford to pass under the new gantry.

447312902_cocklane0306a.jpg.0d166e87e0e79b41c5497ff801704dbd.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Not quite a head on photo, but as you can see there is plenty of room for the Up Stamford to pass under.

447312902_cocklane0306a.jpg.0d166e87e0e79b41c5497ff801704dbd.jpg

That view makes it much clearer, thank you. From the previous view, the clearance looked quite tight, especially with the corner brace. Looking more closely, I see that the new gantry has already been rigged to carry 5 powerlines. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a quick look today. Some work going on under Cock Lane bridge with the piling but little else.

IMG_9730

IMG_9732

The new gantry to the south of Cock Lane bridge oddly spans the Up Stamford line, or will do once it is laid in its final location.

IMG_1458

And they seem to have drainage issues on the bridge itself already.

IMG_9731

Talking of drainage issues there is now a substantial concrete raft in the big hole in the wideway. The top of it can just be seen in the next picture.

IMG_1460

Whilst I was out I had a quick look at Lincoln Road as well. Absolutely deserted apart from one dumper truck with an orange beacon flashing but no signs of life.

Interestingly access has been put in onto the Joint line for road rail vehicles.

IMG_9733

IMG_1462

IMG_1463

And finally they seem to have put, or are putting, one of their subsidence monitors on the old Lincoln Road bridge abutment.

IMG_1465

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Had a quick look today. Some work going on under Cock Lane bridge with the piling but little else.

IMG_9732

And they seem to have drainage issues on the bridge itself already.

IMG_9731

Interestingly access has been put in onto the Joint line for road rail vehicles.

IMG_1463

From the first photo you can see that a trench has been dug since yesterday next to the Stamford line ready to accept the first long sheets of piling on that side.

Not surprised by the drainage issue on Cock Lane bridge.  The kids have been pushing all the loose gravel into the holes that feed into the plastic drain pipes. :rolleyes:

The flat access on the Joint Line has got numerous uses.  Road/rail cranes will be needed when it is time to remove the old mains water pipe that spans the line west of Lincoln Road.

Also, there is all the rail work to be done at Glinton Junction.  I would not be surprised if another flat access is installed further down near the end of the tarmaced access road.  I will have to see if I can see anything through the trees when I'm down that way.

There's quite an amount of very large lumps of concrete which has come from all the piling work which may be moved out by rail.

Then rumour has it that the spans and other materials associated with the new Lincoln Road bridge are being delivered by rail. :scratchhead:

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Is the dive-under being made catenary-ready? That is, will any future installation of OLE be a relatively straightforward job. I haven't seen anything about this anywhere

4 hours ago, blackpete said:

Is the dive-under being made catenary-ready? That is, will any future installation of OLE be a relatively straightforward job. I haven't seen anything about this anywhere

Looking at the work

yes and no

the tunnel will be big enough to string the OLE up but the position of the supports on the approach suggests that some or all would need moving/ changes if the Spalding route were ever to be electrified.

only one of the Stamford lines is currently wired 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ess1uk said:

only one of the Stamford lines is currently wired 

And that is only as far as Helpston where the Down Stamford ceases to be the Down Slow as well.

• Agree 2