East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

The stepped podium for the presentation of medals in the Morgan Sindall lake diving competition :jester:

IMG_4208c.jpg.1407e4a4f8f0212cc9f14e32224cd11c.jpg

That podium again.

IMG_4215c.jpg.e9c3c455911340ad9331120a0153a90f.jpg

There's one each side of the bridge.

It's actually a step for getting on and off your horse so you can walk the horse under the bridge.  Will that happen, I doubt it.

Whatever next, a trough to water the animal and perhaps a bin with brush and shovel to clean up after.

IMG_4241c.jpg.522d866341562316cb4c174add41e585.jpg

Is this right of way a designated bridleway?

If so their may be a requirement for mounting & dismounting if there is a low height obstruction.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

If so their may be a requirement for mounting & dismounting if there is a low height obstruction.

It was a public highway until the works began. It may well be intended to designate it as a bridleway once completed.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

It was a public highway until the works began. It may well be intended to designate it as a bridleway once completed.

I think there has been some skullduggery going on by the local Council.

The earliest map I can find that shows a metalled road off Hurn Road is the Ordanance Survey Explorer 235 of 1999/2000.  Although if my memory is right this was a gated, broken concrete road that served fields and farm buildings.  Gated at Waterworks Lane end, and Hurn Road with a single small gate to access the bus stop on the A15.  It may also have been used as an (unofficial) bridleway.  By 2009 a sign post informed that it was indeed a public bridleway from Hurn Road to Waterworks Lane.

bridleway.jpg.55df52797253d5516afb0647ebed7084.jpg

Around the time work began on the dive-under this small sign appeared at the top of the same post in the photo above pointing to the road under the A15 which the above photo shows as just a narrow road with barriers either side.

2007845675_2019-0593.jpg.435d1d844e0375a29c8254cb2949803b.jpg

The once private farm access is now the new Hurn Road which connects to Waterworks Lane, the old road having been closed for the railway works.

There is a brand new bridleway that runs alongside the new road which has the rubberised surface. Right side of the road in the photo below.

As far as I am concerned the old and new bridleway stopped here.  But as can be seen from todays previous post the bridleway is being extended under the A15 bridge, to where? the old metallic surfaced road that is the junction with Lincoln Road.  It seems a lot of expence for a minority of users.  Having cycled on the new rubberised bridleway, it is not easy going and tree roots are already making the surface bumpy.

626651791_2019-0595.jpg.21c7b14eaa74f153a589825c7512286f.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Talking to official sources on site today a few questions have been answered that dispel some of my previous thoughts.

The point/switches for Glinton Junction were brought in by road last Saturday night to Cock Lane (the site between Benedict Square and the footbridge) where they were loaded onto the flat wagons by the rail mounted crane.  Then they were taken down to Glinton Juction for unloading.  That explains why the crane/train was showing on track diagrams as being at Cock Lane after its arrival from Doncaster.

Digging out the ramp from Lincoln Road to Glinton Junction last week, the spoil was being stacked on the opposite side of the access road.  Today the spoil was being put back!

Apparently this is a very saturated and boggy area and the wet and unsuitable stuff was taken out.  Second grade soil is now being put back, levelled and compacted to give a better base.

IMG_4196.jpg.8faba925e7d13d8f8880c3f919acc8c2.jpg

This is the field to the north side of Hurn Road, I'm standing near the houses at the footbridge end.  This field is being used for storage of soil and many other things and will be returned to farm land once the project is finished.

IMG_4240.jpg.7bd96d17e1f6a20980b9c85011ce239b.jpg

Down at Cock Lane the concrete raft at the bottom of the hole is solely for strengthening the sheet piling.

IMG_4263c.jpg.4385cc5b90105813439c413ba0265d1a.jpg

Removing spoil from the wide-way is progressing quite fast.  Now having reached as far as Werrington Brook.

IMG_4249c.jpg.dd2ec93cea1104ec9987cc3e994250e9.jpg

IMG_4253c.jpg.404e149ff5f33cbdfe65df4edaf5313d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Sorry to cause the diversion but very interesting. And that podium is obviously for use during the next Werrington Olympics.(!!!)

Jonathan

Go for gold! ;) :)

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Neigh lad! ;) :)

Edited by Crun
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Talking to official sources on site today a few questions have been answered that dispel some of my previous thoughts.

The point/switches for Glinton Junction were brought in by road last Saturday night to Cock Lane (the site between Benedict Square and the footbridge) where they were loaded onto the flat wagons by the rail mounted crane. 

That would explain why they were using a roller to compact that area at Cock Lane last week as well.

• Agree 1

Film of activity and work on the area around Werrington Junction in mid July 2020. Large crane arriving by train captured too:

Edited by Crun
  • Like 2

The new fencing on the retaining wall at Hurn Road is nearing completion.

IMG_4332c.jpg.6184715a55a48536e55bbd9225e9bf66.jpg

The old Hurn Road to Lincoln Road will now be cut off to vehicular traffic once the fence is complete.

IMG_4334c.jpg.b2b68c253c5183fcc2c170ac2300bf60.jpg

IMG_4331c.jpg.bc0edb04911005bdf665f1fa7f26267f.jpg

Spotted these track panels under the A15 bridge next to the Joint Line.

IMG_4339c.jpg.20f08420bde85aea31e4738a9a38c672.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Had to go out today so thought I'd have a quick look around. Seems like Donington Road and I had the same idea, I was out slightly earlier though.

At Cock Lane bridge they are putting in a manhole for the outfall to Werrington Brook. OK, it's a manhole but it gives the impression of a big outfall just for surface water off the footbridge.

IMG_1485

Q. How many men does it take to mix one bucket of mortar - A. 5, three mixing (one on sand, one on mortar and one on fluids), one supervising and one watching. I thought we'd pretty much got rid of job demarcation.

IMG_9774

S&T were out as well, three of them here - or the chap sitting down has three legs. Can't even get away from tech out in the field, note the laptop.

IMG_1484

The trackbed for the Stamford Up alignment in being dug out now as well. The spoil is being dumped in the wideway!

IMG_9775

The Road/Rail kit was being moved from Lincoln Road, it went west along the A47. Love the timber 'rails' under this. Driver was chaining up when I took this hence the loose chains this side.

IMG_9777

Driver chaining up on this as well.

IMG_9778

IMG_9787

The alignment of the new bridge abutments on Lincoln Road have been marked out. They have a generator on site to power a circular saw for cutting the shuttering. I assume that they are building downwards extending the abutment walls as they dig out the cutting.

IMG_9785

The bridleway continues to be laid. The material is being mixed out of the back of a van and is delivered to where it is needed in a plastic lined barrow. Looks as if it is laid cold and sets. Note the fence isn't as complete as in Donington Roads pictures.

IMG_9780

I was seen for this one!

IMG_9784

And the path is fanning out to the full width of the mouth of the road but will stop short of the permanent gate. It is marked out on the ground as stopping where the site 'gate' is. I guess they are using the rubberised surface to provide a non-slip surface for any horses using the path under the A15. Once clear of the trackbed alignment it isn't so important.

IMG_9782

It looks as if the fence under the A15 will be different to that already in place as it seems to have a 4 bolt fastening cast into the wall. I'm assuming it will be more substantial immediately alongside the trackbed. Depending on what fencing goes up the area looks to have pretty good potential for pictures of traffic using the dive-under.

IMG_9781

And on the old Lincoln Road there are these bridleway signs which, judging by the brightness of the fixings, haven't been there very long. The left hand one points under the A15, the right hand one south along the old alignment of Lincoln Road.

IMG_9788

And finally a short bit of video from today as well.

Hopefully I've not duplicated anything from others but added my own view point.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

46 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Had to go out today so thought I'd have a quick look around. Seems like Donington Road and I had the same idea, I was out slightly earlier though.

At Cock Lane bridge they are putting in a manhole for the outfall to Werrington Brook. OK, it's a manhole but it gives the impression of a big outfall just for surface water off the footbridge.

IMG_1485

Q. How many men does it take to mix one bucket of mortar - A. 5, three mixing (one on sand, one on mortar and one on fluids), one supervising and one watching. I thought we'd pretty much got rid of job demarcation.

IMG_9774

S&T were out as well, three of them here - or the chap sitting down has three legs. Can't even get away from tech out in the field, note the laptop.

IMG_1484

The trackbed for the Stamford Up alignment in being dug out now as well. The spoil is being dumped in the wideway!

IMG_9775

The Road/Rail kit was being moved from Lincoln Road, it went west along the A47. Love the timber 'rails' under this. Driver was chaining up when I took this hence the loose chains this side.

IMG_9777

Driver chaining up on this as well.

IMG_9778

IMG_9787

The alignment of the new bridge abutments on Lincoln Road have been marked out. They have a generator on site to power a circular saw for cutting the shuttering. I assume that they are building downwards extending the abutment walls as they dig out the cutting.

IMG_9785

The bridleway continues to be laid. The material is being mixed out of the back of a van and is delivered to where it is needed in a plastic lined barrow. Looks as if it is laid cold and sets. Note the fence isn't as complete as in Donington Roads pictures.

IMG_9780

I was seen for this one!

IMG_9784

And the path is fanning out to the full width of the mouth of the road but will stop short of the permanent gate. It is marked out on the ground as stopping where the site 'gate' is. I guess they are using the rubberised surface to provide a non-slip surface for any horses using the path under the A15. Once clear of the trackbed alignment it isn't so important.

IMG_9782

It looks as if the fence under the A15 will be different to that already in place as it seems to have a 4 bolt fastening cast into the wall. I'm assuming it will be more substantial immediately alongside the trackbed. Depending on what fencing goes up the area looks to have pretty good potential for pictures of traffic using the dive-under.

IMG_9781

And on the old Lincoln Road there are these bridleway signs which, judging by the brightness of the fixings, haven't been there very long. The left hand one points under the A15, the right hand one south along the old alignment of Lincoln Road.

IMG_9788

And finally a short bit of video from today as well.

Hopefully I've not duplicated anything from others but added my own view point.

I would say that between you and Mick you've pretty much covered all the areas of current interest within the project. I will be out on my bike tomorrow looking to see all the progress made since my last ride out. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

The new fencing on the retaining wall at Hurn Road is nearing completion.

IMG_4332c.jpg.6184715a55a48536e55bbd9225e9bf66.jpg

The old Hurn Road to Lincoln Road will now be cut off to vehicular traffic once the fence is complete.

IMG_4334c.jpg.b2b68c253c5183fcc2c170ac2300bf60.jpg

IMG_4331c.jpg.bc0edb04911005bdf665f1fa7f26267f.jpg

Spotted these track panels under the A15 bridge next to the Joint Line.

IMG_4339c.jpg.20f08420bde85aea31e4738a9a38c672.jpg

Well spotted Mick! I wonder when they will start to lay these track panels?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I reckon those "podiums" for off road bikers to test their prowess.

They have to ride up to the top step and whilst balancing on the rear wheel, rotate 360degrees then down the other side.:)

• Funny 3

34 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I reckon those "podiums" for off road bikers to test their prowess.

They have to ride up to the top step and whilst balancing on the rear wheel, rotate 360degrees then down the other side.:)

I'll let you know how I get on with my routine! ;) :)

• Funny 3

They were probably a bit miffed as yesterday they had a truck arrive with about as much, but ready mixed.

IMG_9785

It is just a base so the workmen have something nice to stand on while they cast the concrete top of the piling.

IMG_9782

The rubber granules and poured into the orange couldron (behind the wheelbarrow) and mixed with resin, hence the use of the plastic wrapped barrow.

Where the four bolt fixings are it will be a solid steel sheet fencing panels, probably around two metres high.

IMG_9788

As I alluded to yesterday, the local Council conned NR into beleiving this was a designated bridleway,when it actually started well beyond the A15 bridge in Hurn Road.

Your video shows what we think is another deep hole being dug for another concrete raft.

Rumour also has it that Cock Lane footbridge is to be closed because the pads that it sits on need replacing.  Just a rumour :scratchhead:

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Donington Road said:

This is the schedule according to NR.

Draw your own conclusions as to what will really happen.

dates.jpg.bd4c3032e654f614c06833c139a7825a.jpg

2 x "Half a switches and crossing crossover" sounds like a double junction rather than a ladder type junction.

What do others think?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It could just be a bit of 'railway speak' where all pointwork of any description  is usually referred to as switches and crossings.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the videos. Most informative.

Re the spoil being dumped in the wideway, I wonder if it is just much easier to remove it from there than to get lorries close to the excavator.

As the weighbeam (name?) has been left with the track panel I assume we are due sometime for another visit by the BB crane.

And not much social distancing observed. Are they all one family bubble?

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1