East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks for all the videos. Most informative.

Re the spoil being dumped in the wideway, I wonder if it is just much easier to remove it from there than to get lorries close to the excavator.

As the weighbeam (name?) has been left with the track panel I assume we are due sometime for another visit by the BB crane.

And not much social distancing observed. Are they all one family bubble?

Jonathan

Most of the topsoil has been taken from the wide-way.  There is just a bit left where they are digging out for the Up Stamford Line.  The deeper stuff that is coming out of there now is mostly rubbish.  All the spoil is stacked up in the wide-way during the day then taken out overnight using the crossing at the south end over the Stamford Lines,  then along the new haul road next to the Stamford Lines across the footpath near Cock Lane footbridge and then out to the stacks you saw in the video.  All done at a quieter time which would not be possible during the day without line closures.

The topsoil coming out next to the ECML looks first class stuff, it has not been disturbed for at least 170 years, and add all the waste that has come from trains with no retention tanks it's no wonder that it seems to be in high demand.

The crane will be used again.  I am presuming the crane maybe in Peterborough yard since last weekend.

One big family and a very sociable lot of people they are too, one big bubble.:declare:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I like the "renumbered" 66 with the registration for the Frigate HMS Argyll.

Interesting that it is allowed to carry the 'HMS' as it is clearly NOT Her Majesty's Ship but a locomotive. Times change - 'Warships' and Class 50s were only allowed to carry the name, not the HMS. (CJL)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Interesting that it is allowed to carry the 'HMS' as it is clearly NOT Her Majesty's Ship but a locomotive. Times change - 'Warships' and Class 50s were only allowed to carry the name, not the HMS. (CJL)

20156 was named "HMS Endeavour" in BR days

10 hours ago, dibber25 said:

66775 was named after HMS Argyll in effectively a twinning ceremony back in Plymouth in 2017. A very clever idea by GBRf and of course, not the first time they have worked with a branch of the MOD in this way either - 66723 similar carries the RAF Roundel and was dedicated Chinook at a naming ceremony at GBRf's depot in Wellingborough (although it has since visited RAF Odiham by road as well).  

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2017/july/12/170712-argyll-honoured-by-train-company

• RMweb Premium

Just checking RTT for next weekend and there are three freight trains shown as terminating at the Junction at 21:16, 21:28 and 22:45 0n Saturday evening, two departures on the Sunday at 12:21 and 15:35 both to Whitemoor so I'd expect that to be items for recycling/recovery.

Two arrivals from Peterborough Waitrose Siding at 18:39 and 23:45, only one arrival at Waitrose and that is from Sandy. No other traffic shown on the Sunday but we've been there before especially as there seems to be normal service at Helpston! Final departures before normal traffic on Monday are at 02:45 and 04:45.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

only one arrival at Waitrose and that is from Sandy

No Idea what that would be, there's no yard here anymore just a single siding on the up slow. I'll take a look in the week and see if there is any engineering stuff stabled there.

Edit- Found it, there is something arriving in Sandy on the Friday into the up siding from Dawdon Polka Siding at 16.18

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U64314/2020-07-31/detailed

Be interesting to see as it will have to set back into the siding on the up, and then on Sunday negotiate the up slow-up main-crossover then up-main-down main crossover then Down main- down slow.  Would have to be topped and tailed for that and a lot of work considering there must be space at Peterborough to accommodate it.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/07/2020 at 13:44, dibber25 said:

Times do change, often out of ignorance. A lot of reports on a RN ship now state the HMS Whatever as if the HMS was part of the ships name and not an abbreviation.

Hi  May I thank you all for the information, videos and photos of the Werrington Junction work. It is great to see all the detail you all have sent on the matter. The only time I worked on the main line was at Werrington in 1959 on the upgrade then. I was with the signal-box locking fitters.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 40F S & T said:

Hi  May I thank you all for the information, videos and photos of the Werrington Junction work. It is great to see all the detail you all have sent on the matter. The only time I worked on the main line was at Werrington in 1959 on the upgrade then. I was with the signal-box locking fitters.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks

I've seen some of the drawings for that in the GNRS archive, I sorted through them a couple of years ago but I think they're still on the list to be scanned (they're very large)

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, 40F S & T said:

Does this jog your memory 40F :declare:

werrjunc1959.jpg.ae3433479eea7ce97b193c2681c0b82a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Mick

Thanks for the info. It is nice to know after 60 years what I was there for. I don't remember much about it. All I remember is I was under the signal box steps with a vice and saw cutting the locking  bars someone came up and said to me B.R. pay for all the blade not just the bit in the middle. I always remember that when using a saw.

Best wishes     Barrie  PS  My mate at that time on the S & T was Malcolm (Tom) Heugh  He was at Peterborough all his time and had a lot to do with the Nene Valley Railway.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 40F S & T said:

Hi Mick

Thanks for the info. It is nice to know after 60 years what I was there for. I don't remember much about it. All I remember is I was under the signal box steps with a vice and saw cutting the locking  bars someone came up and said to me B.R. pay for all the blade not just the bit in the middle. I always remember that when using a saw.

Best wishes     Barrie  PS  My mate at that time on the S & T was Malcolm (Tom) Heugh  He was at Peterborough all his time and had a lot to do with the Nene Valley Railway.

Going by your moniker of 40F, Boston Shed, I did wonder if you knew Malcolm.  A great person with a fantastic knowledge of railways and someone who I spent many hours with on the footplate at the NVR.  Sadly Malcolm is no longer with us, greatly missed by all who knew him.

You might like this video of Malcolm in his usual flat cap, his own engine and Bill Forman on the footplate too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWEqDknSPEE

Edited by Donington Road

I think my diagram is much later than John's 1968 drawing. The up coal has been abolished and 58 signal simplified. I'm going to dig the diagram out to investigate what is below the overlays between the spring catch and the site of 10 points.

• Informative/Useful 2

Glinton Junction 28 June.

Not much to see other than a few rail problems I spotted.

IMG_4496c.jpg.b339da5f43a7216e0cc6a48f7207f507.jpg

IMG_4494c.jpg.7eae02695a813cf3f5039c0eeed87cb3.jpg

It is difficult to show in a photo but the up line to Peterborough is much higher than the down line in the background.  I expect that it will have to be raised for quite a length to produce a nice level junction.  Also the down line is on those steel type sleepers like the up Stamford Line was.

IMG_4495c.jpg.bd0d81d38345f99de1f9ca8041677cae.jpg

IMG_4498c.jpg.af9d9a54ddfae1a0301616654963a8ac.jpg

IMG_4501c.jpg.be4d0a4cc7442f1850bda9be924b9146.jpg

Not a very good rail joint.

IMG_4501d.jpg.aa6814aca707353f726dfe97cbe6ce8b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Been for a wander today.

Started at Cock Lane where the excavation of the dive under is now just south of the footbridge.

IMG_9791

They seem to have left a lump to the north though. That may well come out in due course.

IMG_9789

IMG_9794

The sidewalls at ground level are now extending south.

IMG_1487

The drain at Mancetter Square seems to have been finished.

IMG_9797

Over at Lincoln Road the rebar is being built up for the bridge abutments at the current ground level.

IMG_9798

IMG_9799

Whilst there I spotted this, looks as if it is some sort of monitor and appears to be looking towards the Bailey Bridge. Not noticed it before.

IMG_9801

And finally managed to get a shot at the temporary road/rail access on the Joint line.

IMG_9803

Nothing worthy of note going on under the A15, two men working on the railings and the footpath to the bus stop on the southbound side of the dual carriageway is now accessed from Lincoln Road, not the footpath that runs down from the old road by the bridge. That suggest to me that the new bridleway may be opened in the next couple of weeks now the surfacing is complete. All the action seems to be around Lincoln Road at the moment.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Been for a wander today.

Over at Lincoln Road the rebar is being built up for the bridge abutments at the current ground level.

IMG_9798

Nothing worthy of note going on under the A15, two men working on the railings and the footpath to the bus stop on the southbound side of the dual carriageway is now accessed from Lincoln Road, not the footpath that runs down from the old road by the bridge. That suggest to me that the new bridleway may be opened in the next couple of weeks now the surfacing is complete. All the action seems to be around Lincoln Road at the moment.

Missed you by seconds it seems.  I was the other side taking the same photo.:good:

Notice how the 'L' shaped rebar is levelled by resting on a broken brick and is tied in to the rebar on column 15.

IMG_4404c.jpg.41cb80aaa54d85693939656065c53661.jpg

IMG_4406c.jpg.e04f0ca2568bc20ffdd91c0ee2a264e9.jpg

Love the makeshift bench :jester:

IMG_4476c.jpg.a4576e97ee6e339f9316a41c2ff60532.jpg

IMG_4477c.jpg.7f79194abd3e81cafcb7d0d12ed2d595.jpg

• Like 5

Hurn Road 28 June.

The new pathway was being 'landscaped' with top soil either side of the bridge.  The large steel sheet panels which will be fixed to the retaining wall under the bridge should arrive this week.  They are reportedly to be around 2 to 2.5 metres high.  The footpath is due to open early next week.

IMG_4408_stitch2c.jpg.0256be99fbd6fb94bbc823b6f5d49a8e.jpg

The sheet piling beyond the fence in the foreground is where the railway will cut through the embankment to go under the new Lincoln Road bridge.

IMG_4488_stitchc.jpg.cc12b12254c9a8e82c8dcb9ba7ea3e69.jpg

The ubiquitous 'bus on a bridge' over the railway.  We still await the railway.:boredom:

IMG_4482c.jpg.bffe9b5f18d7cb051b30c018a68f95a9.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 9