East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

To deter the metal fairies presumably.

And I'm sorry, but you will really have to improve the weathering of your models. That last roof is far too clean.

Seriously very many thanks to all who post photos and information. It is very informative and interesting to see what is involved in a project like this.

Jonathan

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

To deter the metal fairies presumably.

And I'm sorry, but you will really have to improve the weathering of your models. That last roof is far too clean.

Seriously very many thanks to all who post photos and information. It is very informative and interesting to see what is involved in a project like this.

Jonathan

I don't think it would deter the local 'metal fairies' around here.  They would tuck it under their arm and carry it off screaming all the way back to their encampment for their offspring to poke and prod it until it said nice things to them.

I washed the roof of the tamper as it passed under Cock Lane bridge before Crun took the photo at Foxcovert Road.:jester:

I actually did see it at Cock Lane but was too busy talking to someone that I didn't get a photo.  It looked new, maybe it will come back for the weekend work at Glinton Junction.

Thank you for the positive comments Jonathan.  It is a very interesting project due to the complexity and restrictive nature of the site.  The local interest seems quite high as well.  When you have a camera photographing strange things like men digging holes normally shy people start asking questions when they pass as to what is going on.  Once you explain the purpose of all this work they go away happy in that their knowledge has been broadened and they have a new conversation piece in their repertoire.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I don't think it would deter the local 'metal fairies' around here.  They would tuck it under their arm and carry it off screaming all the way back to their encampment for their offspring to poke and prod it until it said nice things to them.

I washed the roof of the tamper as it passed under Cock Lane bridge before Crun took the photo at Foxcovert Road.:jester:

I actually did see it at Cock Lane but was too busy talking to someone that I didn't get a photo.  It looked new, maybe it will come back for the weekend work at Glinton Junction.

Thank you for the positive comments Jonathan.  It is a very interesting project due to the complexity and restrictive nature of the site.  The local interest seems quite high as well.  When you have a camera photographing strange things like men digging holes normally shy people start asking questions when they pass as to what is going on.  Once you explain the purpose of all this work they go away happy in that their knowledge has been broadened and they have a new conversation piece in their repertoire.

No sign of any work being done so far today on the GNGE line. A couple of diggers excavating soil from the Lincoln Road bridge. Nothing seen on the GNGE at 10:15 this morning or 13:45 this afternoon.

Edited by Crun
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Crun said:

No sign of any work being done so far today on the GNGE line. A couple of diggers excavating soil from the Glinton Road bridge. Nothing seen on the GNGE at 10:15 this morning or 13:45 this afternoon.

I waited until after lunch to give them time to make a start so there was something interesting to photograph.  The wife said it wasn't going to rain so off I went in anticipation only to spend half an hour sheltering under Hurn Road bridge trying to keep dry.:boredom:

I too found nothing happening, trains still running as normal, nobody around and all road/rail machines parked up at Lincoln Road.

Please don't shoot the messenger.:jester:

This is what they said was happening this weekend.

317746065_NRNL2020-06-301.jpg.49691e42a86b86dc8713626b6cd8bd97.jpg

• Like 2

After the heavy drizzle subsided a little I had a quick look around before going home to dry out.

Nothing happening on the ramp from Glinton Junction to Lincoln Road.

IMG_5062c.jpg.75d8808faddce9e3cb39755bac29e04a.jpg

All the road/rail machines parked up.

IMG_5064c.jpg.f4dc7f6dcee2423a67dbfe1b735a9121.jpg

Two of the Lincoln Road bridge spans, delivered by road, not by rail as stated would happen by NR.  Five more of these spans to come.

IMG_5059.jpg.d35f0c238ae7a1d82a02dd1bed2efbf9.jpg

Levelling out and compacting around the piles ready to put a concrete base in so the rebar gang can do their intricate threading work on top of the piles.

IMG_5055.jpg.a12ae4867af07db18f9bc4511c235d7a.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg.58e7b16be9ef723080d3ad84b8da3f4b.jpg

Hurn Road bridge all cleared and levelled out ready for the piling work to start on the other retaining wall.

IMG_5073.jpg.8c19b1f64bc7e26eee9bb13c9dd03ec0.jpg

Drainage work continuing on the ramp between Hurn Road bridge and the dive under.

IMG_5077c.jpg.c5be5884cd7bc89f673458bcdd7bb6d0.jpg

IMG_5084c.jpg.b0c468dfd903e4c462ca97085a52c797.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

I waited until after lunch to give them time to make a start so there was something interesting to photograph.  The wife said it wasn't going to rain so off I went in anticipation only to spend half an hour sheltering under Hurn Road bridge trying to keep dry.:boredom:

I too found nothing happening, trains still running as normal, nobody around and all road/rail machines parked up at Lincoln Road.

Please don't shoot the messenger.:jester:

This is what they said was happening this weekend.

317746065_NRNL2020-06-301.jpg.49691e42a86b86dc8713626b6cd8bd97.jpg

Very curious Mick. It looked like the work wasn't finished last weekend.

• Agree 1

Down by the railway at Hurn Road.

Not much happening of note in the wide-way.

IMG_5092c.jpg.4bda80c768eac3baf3e6f5f8a645f6f8.jpg

Supplies building up in the compound at Hurn Road.  The gateway is now protected by a concrete barrier instead of the squawking security thing we were talking about early.  That was the first time I heard it last year, I only walked up to the gate and it went off making me jump!

IMG_5094.jpg.bc6ac262d1d5b030ba2f54294cae20bd.jpg

All new cabinets as far as the eye can see in both directions.

IMG_5098c.jpg.d980efc8e4644e5fe907119f7c2e9e0b.jpg

IMG_5099c.jpg.36d768c79eec0c234b88adf274cfcb1e.jpg

And finally, found in a secret field near by!  Parts of the tunnel boring machine,

IMG_5102.jpg.9d264d880e59bea339de6f69649da46b.jpg

IMG_5106c.jpg.af87952fab14def7a66adb87669ca8cd.jpg

IMG_5108c.jpg.ca84d5fb565e1bcbceabc33e1ac01819.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 minutes ago, Crun said:

Very curious Mick. It looked like the work wasn't finished last weekend.

Yes, nowhere near finished.  There is the cross over and points to be installed on the down line and the connection to be made with the points on the up line which was installed last weekend.

I have just looked and there are two engineering trains booked for tonight arriving at 21:17 and 21:25, both from Whitemoor.  So tomorrow may be more profitable, fingers crossed.:good:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

Yes, nowhere near finished.  There is the cross over and points to be installed on the down line and the connection to be made with the points on the up line which was installed last weekend.

I have just looked and there are two engineering trains booked for tonight arriving at 21:17 and 21:25, both from Whitemoor.  So tomorrow may be more profitable, fingers crossed.:good:

Is it to be a two points and a diamond crossing? (I.e a proper double junction rather than a ladder.)

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Is it to be a two points and a diamond crossing? (I.e a proper double junction rather than a ladder.)

It certainly looks like it on the ground and from the descriptions that have been around but time will tell.

30 minutes ago, melmerby said:

20 minutes ago, Richard E said:

It certainly looks like it on the ground and from the descriptions that have been around but time will tell.

According to NR, yes, what they call a flying junction with a speed limit of 60mph.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Thanks for the heads up Mick. I will go out on the bike again tomorrow. 

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Premium

I see ftom RTT that the two trains are on their way.  It's interesting that  the second one to arrive has been been sent up to Newark and then round via Lincoln before getting to Werrington.  

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I see ftom RTT that the two trains are on their way.  It's interesting that  the second one to arrive has been been sent up to Newark and then round via Lincoln before getting to Werrington.  

Jamie

Presumably so they are facing in the right direction on each line?

If so the one which is going "long way round" will have the short journey home and vice versa

EDIT 6G30 the long way round one is returning direct via Peterborough

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Presumably so they are facing in the right direction on each line?

If so the one which is going "long way round" will have the short journey home and vice versa

EDIT 6G30 the long way round one is returning direct via Peterborough

The other alternative would have been top and tail and sent up the Joint to Spalding to use the crossover there and come back.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The other alternative would have been top and tail and sent up the Joint to Spalding to use the crossover there and come back.

That would probably have incurred extra expense in terms of another loco and driver. I presume that the pointwork will be in the train on the down line so the other could be ballast on the up line.  It will all come out in the wash.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1

From another forum:

"The 9-Day Blockade has now been confirmed as running from the 16th to the 24th of January 2021 (inclusive). Tunnel boring works are also finished - the tunnels are now being fitted out before the big push."

• Informative/Useful 5

Is it going to be a flying junction or ladder junction?  I'm totally confused now.:scratchhead:

The proposed plans of 2016 said ladder junction.  NR said earlier this year a flying junction (two points and a diamond in old money).

I could not get near to it to photograph or ask anyone on track to take some photos or divulge some information.

The ballast train photographed by Crun was on the down line before the junction and the crane was on the up line beyond the junction.

I watched some train movements from Lincoln Road and Foxcovert Road and was surprised at the outcome when everything on the line had cleared. 

The ballast train moved slowly forward to Foxcovert Road depositing ballast.  It then reversed back over the junction to where it started and had another run forward depositing more ballast and then stopped at Foxcovert Road.  Meanwhile two tampers arrived very quietly catching me unaware from the Spalding direction on the up line stopping just short of the crane.

The crane then went forward moving 'across the junction' and attaching itself to the rear of the ballast train.  The two tampers split with one going across the junction on to the down line.

Still image taken from a video clip.  I'll do a video later when I get time.

There is nothing beyond or being obscured by the orange gang.

Snapshot_-_4.png.845662b2ea274b548128dcb7dde441a1.png

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

As I understand  it a flying junction is what the whole project does, namely a grade separated junction that allows trains to cross the GN main line without obstructing it. The new junction here, one of several in the whole project, is what I would call a double or flat junction with as you say two points and a diamond crossing. These went out of fashion in the 70's (I think) mainly due to the maintenance  required on the diamond crossing. Then came single lead junctions that needed 4 points, a crossover, a diverging point then another where the double track began again.  There were several accidents involving them and I think they have gone out of favour again. 

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1