East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

This is an update from Network Rail and contains a fly through video of how the dive under will look and operate:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/east-coast/east-coast-upgrade/werrington-grade-separation/?fbclid=IwAR1puiFC70lgbp3UsFXYL2ccBg29OZVM4EYw4x-AzFG2rcIdSndaqj_lsoM

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Donington Road posted:

"Quick visit to Lincoln Road this morning before the rain set in for the day.

The five extra bridge spans due for fitting in place on Friday have still not arrived.  The two beams on site have been fitted out with scaffolding, presumeably to provide for a walkway once inplace.

Concrete was being poured around the plies on the north side of the new bridge and drainage work had just started on the ramp up to Glinton Junction"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have tomorrow off. After a very early weekly food shop I will make a few visits to the area near to the Lincoln Road bridge to see the installation of the bridge sections. Thanks for heads up Mick.

Edited by Crun
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a fantastic amount happening, no action really visible at all from Hurn Road footbridge.

Cock Lane revealed that they have thrown up a temporary earth bund in the dive under to try and control the water. It looks more substantial than in Donington Roads earlier picture.

IMG_1689

IMG_1690

It's also rather wet underfoot in the wideway looking south.

IMG_1686

They are still doing some tidying up around the western side of the footbridge.

IMG_1691

Moving over to Lincoln Road they are still pouring concrete although I suspect it is a levelling compound as it is being mixed by hand and the concrete is still not level with the top of the formwork.

IMG_1692

And finally the two beams that are on site now have walkways attached.

IMG_1693

Apologies for the wire in the fence panels intruding!

They were also working on both the trackbed towards Glinton Junction, it was very wet, and the haul road for the crane that will lift the beams in. That is also very wet and they are pumping it out via a sump just to one side of the haul road.

Finally I had a quick look in the cutting towards the dive under from the east and they have finished the drain works in there.

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but the TBM has finished its work and both guide tunnels have been bored.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Crun said:

Donington Road posted:

"Quick visit to Lincoln Road this morning before the rain set in for the day.

The five extra bridge spans due for fitting in place on Friday have still not arrived.  The two beams on site have been fitted out with scaffolding, presumeably to provide for a walkway once inplace.

Concrete was being poured around the plies on the north side of the new bridge and drainage work had just started on the ramp up to Glinton Junction"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have tomorrow off. After a very early weekly food shop I will make a few visits to the area near to the Lincoln Road bridge to see the installation of the bridge sections. Thanks for heads up Mick.

Sorry to disappoint, but the crane has been cancelled for tomorrow due to the forecast of high winds (source of info: Network Rail)

In all honesty I don't think they are ready with the piles on the new bridge.  The other spans have not arrived either.

I will still go to have a look though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Sorry to disappoint, but the crane has been cancelled for tomorrow due to the forecast of high winds (source of info: Network Rail)

In all honesty I don't think they are ready with the piles on the new bridge.  The other spans have not arrived either.

I will still go to have a look though.

I should have realised after checking the forecast. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Crun
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

Not a fantastic amount happening, no action really visible at all from Hurn Road footbridge.

Cock Lane revealed that they have thrown up a temporary earth bund in the dive under to try and control the water. It looks more substantial than in Donington Roads earlier picture.

IMG_1689

And finally the two beams that are on site now have walkways attached.

IMG_1693

Apologies for the wire in the fence panels intruding!

Very wet indeed Richard.  It doesn't take much to look like a flood everywhere.

The photos were taken yesterday morning by my roving reporter friend before the the persistant rain we had in the afternoon.

You are correct about the self levelling compound being used around the top of the piles on Lincoln Road.  I was surprised how well the concrete around the bottom had cured in all that rain yesterday.  They only just started to pour when the rain started.

Here's a couple photos taken from my horse, above the wire fencing :jester:

I guess the thicker and higher wire loops are or have been used for lifting.:scared:IMG_5284c.jpg.2cb21fe62a9be46c7ee653cea6ac3427.jpg

IMG_5280c.jpg.e78f68f4e4d947cc2c337ab14f52d3a9.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Now we can see why railway tunnels in the Fen country are a rarity:jester:

Us Fen boys with webbed feet are used to wet and boggy ground.  We have no hills to climb or to tunnel through.:declare:

The only one daft enough to make tunnels 'round here is Mr Mole and even he makes a hill for when his tunnel floods. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Us Fen boys with webbed feet are used to wet and boggy ground.  We have no hills to climb or to tunnel through.:declare:

The only one daft enough to make tunnels 'round here is Mr Mole and even he makes a hill for when his tunnel floods. :rolleyes:

I soaked up a fair bit of water last Sunday. I dont think my boots are going to recover.

• Funny 2

Setting out the rebar at Lincoln Road.

Measuring the height of the rebar hoops which sit between the piles from the datum and levelling on sophisticated devices on the ground.

IMG_5269.jpg.ed9cac9f82989df5894833e95b3fe4e7.jpg

Stringing a level between the hoops and the piles.

IMG_5272.jpg.c0d06ca06460d843530e20ef318ee347.jpg

Tieing off on the piles to a level slightly lower than the hoops (to the extreme right).

IMG_5262.jpg.5fce68ef4baf8163e847718d53301a95.jpg

Marking each individual pile from the string level with the infamous spirit level.

IMG_5288.jpg.b6ea6c9e518b63856ba30bf8ab4c578e.jpg

Disc cutting all the vertical rebar on the piles so they are below the top of the hooped rebar.

IMG_5298.jpg.7bb846a312690e6d7b1e68d74ecddc2b.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

As Richard said, mixing and pouring self levelling compound around the top of the piles.

IMG_5229.jpg.93a0271454aab8e5b54a0e1be2495b48.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg.3525d5e5a0bd1009f7159b207fa16189.jpg

Measuring the levels electronically.

IMG_5254.jpg.25624c2bc4eac6a459ad029bd7908bf1.jpg

IMG_5255.jpg.5f8557912e4cd2070c7b6f8150b1858c.jpg

Can't beat a second opinion.:good:

IMG_5268.jpg.22baef78562004977aaa43bb1efe8a8a.jpg

Measure twice; cut once!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

The only one daft enough to make tunnels 'round here is Mr Mole Network Rail and even he makes a hill for when his tunnel floods. :rolleyes:

:jester:

• Funny 1

Video by Trackside on  the ECML. Film of activity and work on the GNGE and East Coast Main Line around Werrington Junction in mid August 2020. Tampers, points installation, ballast trucks and a crane:

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

It gives dive under a whole new meaning (acknowledgements to my wife for the thought)

Jonathan

We could always import some "snorkels" from Czechoslovakia.   

Hat and coat on and leaving.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Video by Trackside on the ECML. Film of activity on the East Coast Main Line and GNGE around Werrington Junction in mid August 2020. Goods and passenger trains captured:

Edited by Crun

The seven pads either side of Lincoln Road bridge that were cast yesterday with the self levelling compound now ready to accept the concrete spans.

IMG_5302.jpg.aced5432cb1a6e497b51396dc601f465.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg.a78faf6060d77e1a1e200da61cea8ed4.jpg

The support pads for the crane are in place, but no crane, cancelled today because of high winds.

IMG_5304.jpg.2e132cbb001a74b5d30d4707e0dd1d90.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg.8e34fb7bff1feed34e4218925c5168d6.jpg

I hope they have rollered the ground firm under this one.  There was a large sump hole here last week and they are still pumping water out of it 24 hours per day.

IMG_5311.jpg.bc4b737de6655c962871ea305ab942c5.jpg

• Like 6

My roving reporter friend decided to venture slightly further than me this afternoon and came back with these nice photos from the A15 road bridge.

The ramp down towards the dive under.

1925699828_DSC_1837(2).jpg.214bf9cac55824686d9a694253c0a89f.jpg

Overall site view at Hurn Road.

new_veiw_(2).jpg.116a77c7770a8dcadad89474a2111820.jpg

Looking towards Lincoln Road.  Trains will be running through here roughly where the red barrier is in the centre of the photo once the clay embankment is removed, Lincoln Road bridge is finished and a multitude of other jobs done.

other_way_(2).jpg.df6b5f2355be48c872902036d3aadfbf.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not long come past on the A15 (not Werrington Parkway) and there were floodlights visible on the GNGE at the site of Glinton Junction. I can't see any engineering trains scheduled though. It'll be interesting to see if anything has happened overnight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

An update for Monday.

Starting at Lincoln Road they are still knitting with re-bar. There are still only two bridge beams on site.

IMG_1695

And the area between the piers has been dug out a bit again!

IMG_1694

There is some timber down to provide ramps in the area of one of the crane pads.

IMG_1696

Going over to Cock Lane the diveunder is drying out.

IMG_1699

IMG_1700

And they are still working on the concrete raft. There's a lot of re-bar stacked up down there as well.

IMG_9871

Little to see beyond that.

IMG_9873

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2