East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

7 hours ago, highpeakman said:

What are those  circular  structures on either side of the box?

6 hours ago, Welly said:

Missile silos.... ;)

6 hours ago, Richard E said:

Don't quote me on it but there is supposed to be a siphon under the box and/or cutting for the spring that lies close to the joint line, I wonder if they are connected with that and the drainage of the dive under.

6 hours ago, highpeakman said:

Thanks. That would explain them. I look forward to hearing more about that part of the work in time.  

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Obviously the drive rollers to push it through.

Jamie

5 hours ago, Crun said:

For huge extractor fans? ;) :)

This video which was posted months ago shows what they are for, drainage of the dive under at 2:18 in.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

And an interesting article about the box and how it will be driven into place. A trial push of around 30' is expected in early December.

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/f473eb78#/f473eb78/26

Thanks for that article Richard.  The best one yet with easy to understand diagrams of how the box will be installed.  It really needs printing off and putting in a prominent place at Hurn Road for everyone to read. It would save me having to explain to a lot of people who are always asking "when is the big tunnel going to be bored".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Donington Road said:

This video which was posted months ago shows what they are for, drainage of the dive under at 2:18 in.

That CGI misses a few things but is quite good for an impression of how it all looks  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ess1uk said:

That CGI misses a few things but is quite good for an impression of how it all looks  

But adds some OHLE towards the dive under.

A precursor of electrification of the line to Spalding?:no:

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Not yet, clockwork, battery and hydrogen have to be trialled first. :crazy:

You forgot this:

Cycloped_horse-powered_locomotive.jpg

Environmentally sustainable fuel in one end, environmentally useful waste out other, as long as you grow roses.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few from the past couple of days.

Repairs to the casting flaws on the bridge parapet at Lincoln Road. One large one at the base of one of the parapet sections and a small one on one of the wing wall sections.

IMG_1839

IMG_1851

Kit parked up in place ready for trackworks over the weekend.

IMG_1840

And a view along Lincoln Road looking south across the new bridge on Friday.

IMG_1841

Work going on underneath the A15 to level it out ready for hardcore to go in. The guy driving the digger is really skilled and was fascinating to watch.

IMG_1842

Still pumping water out, small pump running off a genny and feeding across to a sump the other side of the new trackbed which is being drained by a diesel pump ...

IMG_1845

IMG_1846

Hardcore going in to the area under the A15. The diesel pump is visible centre right of frame.

IMG_1848

IMG_1855

IMG_1853

They've also been compacting soil on the cutting sides again, they dug it all out yesterday ...

IMG_1852

And work going on to insert one of a pair of switches on the down joint. It is only one going in this weekend and the other will go in on the first weekend in November iirc. Loco is 66711. It appears this is the western one of the two on the ECML side of the crossover installed a few weeks ago. The next one will go east of the crossover. There was another engineering train parked on the down joint to the right of the frame and out of sight under the old bridge, it can bee seen in a couple of the preceding pictures.

IMG_0005

Finally work is going on to dig out the embankment that was immediately to the north of the existing joint line in order to provide access from the dive under to the new Lincoln Road underbridge. The new bridge is immediately to the right of the digger.

IMG_0006

IMG_1856

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Richard E said:

And work going on to insert one of a pair of switches on the down joint. It is only one going in this weekend and the other will go in on the first weekend in November iirc. Loco is 66711. It appears this is the western one of the two on the ECML side of the crossover installed a few weeks ago. The next one will go east of the crossover. There was another engineering train parked on the down joint to the right of the frame and out of sight under the old bridge, it can bee seen in a couple of the preceding pictures.

IMG_0005

That is train 6G32, the other nearer the ECML is 6Y72 with 66618 at the head, there is also the third train OOS going towards Spalding, 6G32 with 66756 in charge

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Sunday update.

The switch is installed and the run into the dive under can be seen to start taking shape. This is the up line, the down line will sit to the left of this. As always it looks tight on the drains to the left but this is down to the effect of a telephoto lens, the angle the photo is taken from and also no ballast in situ. As I want some weed membrane perhaps I should have asked for an offcut or two ...

IMG_0008

The tamper is doing its 'thing'. The dive under up rails can just be seen to the right of the tamper.

IMG_1869

And the PW staff are either taking a break from the spadework that was going on after the tamper had passed or are they getting desperate to be let out ...

IMG_0014

Over at Lincoln Road the hardcore has been laid past the A15 and was being compacted. Soil to the south of the area under the bridge was also being dug out.

IMG_0012

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My roving reporter friend has sent these photos taken this afternoon.

Compacting the 'correct soil' for the second time at Hurn Road, let's hope they have got the right stuff this time.

DSC_2893.jpg.66395bb41148e01f915d15bc07d4f173.jpg

1112873947_DSC_2899(2).jpg.ac07654499fb6b80d1ff51ab5b69b6ad.jpg

Most of the spoil has now gone from the south ramp underneath the cross girders.

DSC_2904.jpg.8cfd01ff7019ff9041e70fc149f599b7.jpg

2020-10-19_20-21-58.jpg.7e51664d19cf4b27da4a361173e06131.jpg

Doesn't the new  carpet  track bed look nice for the Up Stamford line, hope they trim the white underlay.

DSC_2903.jpg.6d57f79539077dcfbaba7ef136f54743.jpg

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

I wasn't invited to play this weekend as i'd already been booked out on an axle counter reset in deepest Essex. Hopefully will get a look in for the next install.

7th November, get booked in now!

What would be nice is some photos.:ok: The next switch install will be much further away from Lincoln Road so joe public can't see too well.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

I wasn't invited to play this weekend as i'd already been booked out on an axle counter reset in deepest Essex. Hopefully will get a look in for the next install.

10 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

7th November, get booked in now!

What would be nice is some photos.:ok: The next switch install will be much further away from Lincoln Road so joe public can't see too well.

Go on Richard......you know you want to use your camera.:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I covered a couple of track tests last weekend there and did get a look at the points stored under Lincoln Road bridge. We made used of a bit of spare time to make sure everything was present for the install. I did ask to be on it but the skills matrix put me out testing not installing.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, 40F S & T said:

LNERGE    I would like to ask you a question if is't ok

When a train enters  a block section how is it detected? If a track circuit how long are they? My email address is 

I would edit your post and send the address by PM rather than put it on an open forum (I've deleted it from the quote)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, 40F S & T said:

Hi Thanks for the reply. I am 80 and not up with computers. What is PM and how do I do what you suggest? 

I should think that the question and answer would be informative for the whole forum, not just via a Private Message

Edited by melmerby