East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

Any info on when the switches for the Stamford line will be inserted?

I assume that for ease of working the new up line currently being constructed will need to be in position so that the up switch can be inserted and the new line connected to the old at the northern end.

That will allow the current up track to be removed and give the down track room for it's new switch.

However I could be very wrong.

42 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Any info on when the switches for the Stamford line will be inserted?

I assume that for ease of working the new up line currently being constructed will need to be in position so that the up switch can be inserted and the new line connected to the old at the northern end.

That will allow the current up track to be removed and give the down track room for it's new switch.

However I could be very wrong.

I think I posted some dates on here awhile back.  I cannot find any reference to them on my computer at the moment.

No work has started north of the dive under to prepare the Up Stamford.  The dive under will be opened up on January 16-24 to push the box through.  Then after that the Up Stamford trackbed can be finished.  I seem to recall the time to connect Marholm Junction and the dive under lines was somewhere around the middle of March, obviously the Up will be connected first so as you say the Down can be done once the short portion of the existing Up is removed.  The northern end of the Up Stamford near Hurn Road will just need slewing across to the new trackbed.

Later Edit

Found this at https://eastcoastupgrade.co.uk/the-programme/

Current key dates of engineering work between Peterborough and Grantham, and Peterborough and Stamford for the Werrington works:

Saturday 16 January through to Sunday 24 January 2021

Limited services between Grantham and Peterborough, with many passengers needing to transfer to rail replacement services while work continues on a new section of railway at Werrington which will free up space for extra passenger services.

Friday 4 June through to Sunday 6 June 2021

No services between Stamford and Peterborough, no services between Grantham and Peterborough on the second two days, with many passengers needing to transfer to rail replacement services to complete the new infrastructure at Werrington

The 4th June looks to be the likely date of connection of the Stamford Lines, although personally I think maybe a bit earlier than that.

Edited by Donington Road
added more information from another website
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Not much to see at Glinton Junction.  The switch was put in overnight with a short length of new track towards the eventual ramp.  The whole thing had just been covered in ballast and was awaiting the arrival of the tamper.

View from Lincoln Road.  The new switch and track is in the centre.

1.jpg.542a35422bb5af58eefe340b5988d4d9.jpg

It is there, but cover in ballast.  The track gang are awaiting the tamper.

10a.jpg.a6586529b2d7d613335f5dd4cc5844b3.jpg

10.jpg.c86d2ff23287d9a9afddccbb1d2eb936.jpg

11.jpg.1a808c4c0674f9db6ffe2e7d4a1ceaa5.jpg

The tamper arriving from Werrington Junction.

2.jpg.2527da029f95d361dd1e2196a7b86be2.jpg

Can just about make out the new switch and short piece of track to the left of the track gang.

8.jpg.4153e202962310303dd9744be5bddf82.jpg

Checking the ballast train with rail crane intow before departure.7.jpg.0e3228a763a08ef53c6111cec7ebeb22.jpg

More jovial people which seems to run right through the workforce on the project.

These chaps were happy that they had done a good job and wanted to get home for their Sunday lunch although they still had a couple of hours to go before their booked departure time.

9.jpg.978cb6047825b17b0953fcc3eb83c090.jpg

........and finally, an appropriate loco on this Rememberance Sunday.

5.jpg.b50ce9bdf02baee3e4bf789566e310ea.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A few from today.

Under the A15 the shuttering for the south wall is being craned into place. There are 5 men working on fitting it, two are between the shuttering and rebar and one behind the wall.

IMG_1952

And the last of the spoil is being removed from the cutting. There is still a bit to do to the immediate right of frame but I think that will be done as part of the final clean up.

IMG_1953

It's going to be a good view towards the dive under especially when the fence goes although installation of the inevitable pallisade fencing may enforce a set of short steps. I think they may have to do something about the view from the A15 itself otherwise there could be photographers gathering on a dual carriageway with the consequential safety issues.

IMG_1949

The base mentioned in my previous post now has its electrical box fitted but there were some mutterings from a couple of the guys on site that the plinth was wrong. as can just be seen one lot of conduit is out to the right of the box.

IMG_1947

And they were digging another hole just up the way from it. this one has impinged on the soft byway surface and was pretty deep, it had got to about 4' deep when I left.

IMG_1948

Meanwhile at Lincoln Road more work was going on around the piles. The steel frames appear to be held to the piles with rawlbolts. There seemed to be a bit of a debate going on about these whilst I was there. There are another two lengths of conduit on one side of the bridge compared to a couple of days ago.

IMG_1946

And over at Glinton Junction the switch is in, it is clipped and traffic is running through. Lots of wiring for, presumably, track circuits and the like. As an aside on Saturday there was quite a good 'twang' from the rails when the first cut was made showing just how much they can be tensioned.

IMG_1955

Finally, not a brilliant shot, but it is now possible to see how the two tracks into the dive under connect to the Joint line. The pile of ballast just to the right of the cabinet in the middle of the picture is the end of the new spur laid this weekend. It looks as if the tamper has had a go at the up line into the dive under as it isn't as 'wiggly' as before, it's also acquired a stop board ...

IMG_0024

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

28 minutes ago, Richard E said:

A few from today.

It's going to be a good view towards the dive under especially when the fence goes although installation of the inevitable pallisade fencing may enforce a set of short steps. I think they may have to do something about the view from the A15 itself otherwise there could be photographers gathering on a dual carriageway with the consequential safety issues.

IMG_1949

And over at Glinton Junction the switch is in, it is clipped and traffic is running through. Lots of wiring for, presumably, track circuits and the like. As an aside on Saturday there was quite a good 'twang' from the rails when the first cut was made showing just how much they can be tensioned.

IMG_1955

Nice set of photos Richard.

Look as though the excavator in the 3rd photo is starting to bring out some soil from beyond the land bridge.

Can finally see the Down line switch at Glinton Junction.  Maybe another photo location for the future.  We will have to get the long loppers out this winter and gradually nibble away at the undergrowth when passing :crazy:

Agree with you regarding the A15, it is not a safe place now, the more people gathering there and it will become a distraction for passing drivers.  It needs a seperate footbridge that side, I know of one going spare when Lincoln Road is done.:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Nice set of photos Richard. 

(snip)

We will have to get the long loppers out this winter and gradually nibble away at the undergrowth when passing :crazy:

Thank you.

Looks as if someone has had the cutters out along Serjeant Way as there seem to be a lot more potential vantage points with a lot less branches and twigs now than there were a few weeks ago although the down line switch area could use some work as you say. A raid or two under cover of darkness ...

It's a shame the unofficial footpath through the field on the other side of the line is so far from the railway boundary.

Hadn't spotted the excavator in photo 3 until you pointed it out, I agree with your analysis.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Thank you.

Looks as if someone has had the cutters out along Serjeant Way as there seem to be a lot more potential vantage points with a lot less branches and twigs now than there were a few weeks ago although the down line switch area could use some work as you say. A raid or two under cover of darkness ...

It's a shame the unofficial footpath through the field on the other side of the line is so far from the railway boundary.

Hadn't spotted the excavator in photo 3 until you pointed it out, I agree with your analysis.

I always carry a pair of secateurs with me as part of the photographers arsenal.  Trouble is those nasty brambles fight back.  I had one catch me in the palm of my hand a month ago and it has only just healed up.  My roving reporter and I did manage to grapple with one of those tall things next to Foxcovert bridge and shorten it with a billhook.  They don't arrest old folk for carrying funny shaped objects in Morrisons carrier bags do they? :crazy:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

I always carry a pair of secateurs with me as part of the photographers arsenal.  Trouble is those nasty brambles fight back.  I had one catch me in the palm of my hand a month ago and it has only just healed up.  My roving reporter and I did manage to grapple with one of those tall things next to Foxcovert bridge and shorten it with a billhook.  They don't arrest old folk for carrying funny shaped objects in Morrisons carrier bags do they? :crazy:

I'll see your Morrison bag and raise you a Waitrose one :D (other brands are available).

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Crun said:

YouTube film of traffic on the ECML during November 2020:

Fair enough but, apart from a very short bit of the weekend possession, it isn't really dive under related is it?

9 hours ago, Richard E said:

Fair enough but, apart from a very short bit of the weekend possession, it isn't really dive under related is it?

A post for all. Should I delete it?

Edited by Crun
Amendment of question.

• RMweb Premium

Some info for the possession in January - copied from Facebook, but originally from a Network Rail Engineering Access document hence all caps.

Sholud make for some good photography and video opportunities.

BETWEEN 0030 SAT 16 JAN TO 0615 SAT 16 JAN 

NO ACCESS/EGRESS AVAILABLE TO THE STAMFORD LINES OR SPALDING LINES NO ROUTE AVAILABLE BETWEEN PETERBOROUGH AND STOKE JN 
---------------------
BETWEEN 0030 SAT 16 JAN TO 2300 SAT 16 JAN AND BETWEEN 0900 SUN 17 JAN TO 2355 SUN 17 JAN

NO ACCESS/EGRESS AVAILABLE TO THE SPALDING LINES TRAINS DIVERTED VIA CAMBRIDGE/MARCH LINES INTO PETERBOROUGH 

NO ACCESS TO PLATFORMS 1, 2 AND 3 AT PETERBOROUGH SELECTED ECML PASSENGER SERVICES AND
ROYAL MAIL SERVICES TO RETIME OVER THE DOWN STAMFORD/DOWN SLOW BETWEEN PETERBOROUGH NORTH AND TALLINGTON CROSSOVERS IN BOTH DIRECTIONS UNDER BIDIRECTIONAL WORKING 
-----------------------
BETWEEN 0400 MON 18 JAN TO 0130 TUE 19 JAN AND BETWEEN 0530 TUE 19 JAN TO 0130 WED 20 JAN
AND BETWEEN 0530 WED 20 JAN TO 0130 THU 21 JAN AND BETWEEN 0530 THU 21 JAN TO 0130 FRI 22 JAN
AND BETWEEN 0530 FRI 22 JAN TO 2300 FRI 22 JAN

SELECTED ECML PASSENGER SERVICES AND ROYAL MAIL SERVICES TO RETIME OVER THE DOWN STAMFORD/DOWN SLOW BETWEEN NEW ENGLAND NORTH AND TALLINGTON CROSSOVERS IN BOTH DIRECTIONS UNDER BIDIRECTIONAL WORKING 

FREIGHT SERVICES DIVERTED THE GNGE LINES OR VIA MELTON MOWBRAY OTHER SERVICES DIVERTED VIA THE GNGE LINES

TRAINS TO RETIME OVER THE UP SLOW BETWEEN PETERBOROUGH AND WERRINGTON JN IN BOTH DIRECTIONS UNDER BI-DIRECTIONAL WORKING. UP SLOW BTET BETWEEN WERRINGTON JN AND NEW ENGLAND NORTH EMR SERVICES TO/FROM LIVERPOOL DIVERTED VIA MELTON MOWBARY AND TO START/TERMINATE AT NOTTINGHAM EMR SERVICES TO/FROM NORWICH TO START/TERMINATE AT NOTTINGHAM 
---------------------
BETWEEN 0130 TUE 19 JAN TO 0530 TUE 19 JAN AND BETWEEN 0130 WED 20 JAN TO 0530 WED 20 JAN
AND BETWEEN 0130 THU 21 JAN TO 0530 THU 21 JAN AND BETWEEN 0130 FRI 22 JAN TO 0530 FRI 22 JAN
AND BETWEEN 2300 FRI 22 JAN TO 0205 SAT 23 JAN

NO ACCESS/EGRESS FROM THE GNGE LINES ECML SERVICES TO RETIME OVER THE DOWN STAMFORD/DOWN SLOW IN BOTH DIRECTIONS BETWEEN NEW ENGLAND NORTH AND TALLINGTON CROSSOVERS UNDER BIDIRECTIONAL WORKING

• Informative/Useful 3

Forming the ramp down from Glinton Junction towards Lincoln Road.

IMG_7061c.jpg.4663fba946e38189ee1e257ba1a25212.jpg

Yet more hardcore, taking it around to Hurn Road this time to form an access road next to the retaining wall so the concrete lorries can deliver straight into the shuttering around the rebar.  I have lost count how many time this access road has be made then dug up and remade.

IMG_7063c.jpg.a0d8a92975c41d4833499fa2714bba65.jpg

Rolling the access road next to the retaining wall.

IMG_7067c.jpg.19bf49a17ac637f0173785e658122f31.jpg

Looking towards the dive under the cutting has finally taken shape.

IMG_7064c.jpg.16ca1308070284edad09d83c2e1bef82.jpg

Still a large amount of spoil to be taken out once the land access bridge to the dive under is no longer needed.

IMG_7068c.jpg.145870db53522712fbe4653b6217c3d3.jpg

Video to follow when Youtube get wakes up.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit from today.

Rebar being cut to size under Lincoln Road bridge.

IMG_1956

And ongoing excavation too.

IMG_1957

It looks like they are going to Shotcrete the walls under the bridge.

IMG_1958

More rebar going in under the A15.

IMG_1960

And the wall is being cast, in the first photo a vibrator is being used to work the concrete around the rebar and in the second the concrete pump can be seen.

IMG_1963

IMG_1964

And another load of concrete arrives. The lorry reversed down to the underpass.

IMG_1966

The junction box has now had the soil around it reinstated.

IMG_1961

And on the Glinton Jn side they are still clearing the trackbed. The dumper is sitting on the access to the joint line.

IMG_1959

And a new fence has appeared next to the footbridge. It runs all the way down to Glinton Jn from what I could make out - albeit with a couple of gaps.

IMG_1968

Finally, as Mick has shown above, Morgan Sindall Hill is still shrinking, it is all going out by lorry and wasn't sheeted when crossing Hurn Road.

IMG_1965

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

A bit from today.

Finally, as Mick has shown above, Morgan Sindall Hill is still shrinking, it is all going out by lorry and wasn't sheeted when crossing Hurn Road.

IMG_1965

Around 1600 tons of clay have been going out every day.

By the time I got to Hurn Road today about 12.50 the concrete pump had obviously gone, the road had been swept clean and there was nobody in sight.  If fact I couldn't tell if the concrete had been done or not.  There was nothing much going on at all so I went to Cock Lane.

Not much action at Cock Lane either, so just one photo and a couple of enlargements.  The Up Stamford trackbed looks to be completed up to the dive under.

IMG_7128.jpg.420f2a0668cc8d9603670ff95e5510b7.jpg

IMG_7128a.JPG.f04c8163c9ebac3dd9e7114bf235dfc0.JPG

IMG_7128b.JPG.7101762adde071015f8a44a48c05d4cd.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Around 1600 tons of clay have been going out every day.

By the time I got to Hurn Road today about 12.50 the concrete pump had obviously gone, the road had been swept clean and there was nobody in sight.  If fact I couldn't tell if the concrete had been done or not.  There was nothing much going on at all so I went to Cock Lane.

Not much action at Cock Lane either.  The Up Stamford trackbed looks to be completed up to the dive under.

Road sweeper was really busy when I was there. Up Stamford has now gone as far as I had expected until the box is in place.

51 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Road sweeper was really busy when I was there. Up Stamford has now gone as far as I had expected until the box is in place.

It is possible they could do a bit of the Up Stamford coming from Hurn Road towards the dive under but maybe that area will be needed for storage of equipment and/or supplies for when the January push begins.

I was also intrigued today when they were using the level crossing over the Stamford lines at the dive under bridge.  A lot of fencing and other bits were being brought out with a telehandler and last week the large dumpers were using it, but there was no one visably blocking the line at Hurn Road and Walton like they were doing a few months ago.  Must be a radio controlled system in place or such like from PSB with those at the crossing.

This chap below with his radio control unit and his colleague at Foxcovert Road were acting lookouts last Friday for a gang working on the electrics at Glinton Junction.  No such people like this around on the Stamford lines though.

843479839_2020-1792.jpg.a2f217688899da86dccda3e97f3aa10f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Glinton Junction a little clearer without the usually bright sun washing things out.

IMG_7192c.jpg.210c7e2d78fdc3d5b5a9594dfcd69723.jpg

IMG_7192cc.jpg.7085d075f74d6c19fe974eaf3d144825.jpg

Clearing the field at Foxcovert Road around the Great Crested newt ponds which were created by Network Rail.  The field belongs to the Church and the volunteers clearing it had been paid by NR to plant small saplings and wild flowers.  A good job they have done so far in clearing the scrub.

IMG_7198_stitch.jpg.2fcb1db101aa6c10d12c3ddf72d92d1c.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1