East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

The dirt road doesn’t get to the brick relay room any more.

to drive to it you would have to go through the work site.

you can still leave home for exercise so walk by and take pictures as usual 

Good advice. A bit of exercise and fresh air can still be enjoyed provided you don't get too close to other people. I was supposed to be visiting my daughter for Christmas in Southend but that will have to be postponed. I am not sure I will be able to visit my parents who will be staying home the other side of Peterborough. I must get out on the bike during my time off from work and watch progress on the dive under and the local wildlife. Stay safe everyone.

The Little Egret was back yesterday:

20201219_123320.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Can I say to all of you who havevposted this series of photographs, how much they are appreciated across the channel by an exile.  Any photos that you can safely get in the next few weeks will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crun said:

The Little Egret was back yesterday:

20201219_123320.jpg

A bird that was extremely rare in the UK a few years back.

I posted a picture of one from my garden in Worcestershire a couple of weeks back.

Climate Warming?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Can I say to all of you who havevposted this series of photographs, how much they are appreciated across the channel by an exile.  Any photos that you can safely get in the next few weeks will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jamie

Thank you Jamie.:friends:

I will do my best to continue recording events as much as possible and I am sure the other regular contributers here will do the same.
We have come so far with this project that it would be an injustice if we did not carry it through to completion.  I am still a bit miffed at missing some of the things that went on during the first lockdown we had earlier in the year.

The biggest thank you must go to Shed for starting this topic in the first place.  I don't think I would have had the foresight to have started a topic on Werrington Junction and consequently all the information that has been gathered would have just sat here on my computer never to see the light of day by anyone else.
I have had a lifetime of interest in railways.  I am not a railway modeller but I do enjoy seeing the skills that other people have and the dedication that goes into their hobby, that is why I subscribed to RMweb in the first place and it was only by chance that I came across this thread.

Having already been retired for about seven years, doing the usual things of painting and decorating, maintaining the house and garden, trips out to places, and so on, this Werrington Upgrade project then caught my attention.  It was local, within easy reach by walking or cycling and would give me something to observe inbetween waiting to photograph trains.  In the early stages it was just a talking point and I did not photograph it a lot, much to my regret now.  As time went on it became apparent that this was a large project evolving daily and I changed from photographing trains as my main criteria to doing more of the Upgrade, even going over to doing video of which I had never been interested in before.  Thanks to the help from Trackside ECML I even started a YouTube channel which initially was just a private platform for him and me to exchange video clips between ourselves.

Along the way I have met new friends, re-newed old acquaintances and had a jolly good time for the past four years all because Shed happened to start a topic that I came across by chance.  I have learned so much too, about civil engineering, and working practices that have changed dramatically since my days as a mechanical engineer many years ago.  It will be a sad day when the Upgrade is finished but I am sure those new friendships will continue and we will be reminiscing in the years to come of the good old days we spent down by the railway at Werrington.

Were on earth have the last four years gone? :scared:

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Love these reports on engineering projects. A few years ago there was a fabulous thread about the repairs to the sewall at Dover. There is another about the East West Rail project, they certainly keep ne interested.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Love these reports on engineering projects. A few years ago there was a fabulous thread about the repairs to the sewall at Dover. There is another about the East West Rail project, they certainly keep ne interested.

Jamie

These might interest you :good:

https://www.youtube.com/c/RichardClifford1111/videos

http://www.tilbury2.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Crun said:

Good advice. A bit of exercise and fresh air can still be enjoyed provided you don't get too close to other people. I was supposed to be visiting my daughter for Christmas in Southend but that will have be postponed. I am not sure I will be able to visit my parents who will be staying home the other side of Peterborough.

Travel, whether by car, bike or on foot, within the Tier 4 zone is still permitted. We are just not allowed out of the zone. So, for me, travel to Werrington is not an issue. It is meeting/being near others that is an issue for us all. Many have got a bit lax about that so we all need to be a bit sharper about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Travel, whether by car, bike or on foot, within the Tier 4 zone is still permitted. We are just not allowed out of the zone. So, for me, travel to Werrington is not an issue. It is meeting/being near others that is an issue for us all. Many have got a bit lax about that so we all need to be a bit sharper about it.

Thinking more about my situation, I have been visiting my parents, sometimes with food and drink, since mid March so this would constitute a support bubble.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 20/12/2020 at 12:25, melmerby said:

A bird that was extremely rare in the UK a few years back.

I posted a picture of one from my garden in Worcestershire a couple of weeks back.

Climate Warming?

There's been a winter roost of Little Egrets in the Deeping Lakes Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust reserve for several years. Little Egrets and other egret species used to be limited to southern Europe but they have colonised the UK with global warming meaning they can thrive here all year round. It's the same for species like Spoonbills too.

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, 40F S & T said:

May I wish you all a happy Xmas and a healthy New Year. Is the push still on?

Thank you and a happy christmas to everyone here too.

The big push will go ahead, there has been so much advanced planning for it to be cancelled now.

The only thing that is not going ahead is my official invitation from NR/Morgan Sindall to go on site during the shutdown to see the box being moved.  To say I am disappointed is an understatement, but I can understand why the decision was made given the current Covid restrictions in our area. :notme::cry::cry:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of quick shots from me today from my walk earlier.

The view of the joint line has changed a bit since last week.

IMG_2051

IMG_1146

And the railings alongside the Up Stamford are being put in place on the top of the steel piles.

IMG_2050

And that is it, no one on site apart from the security staff.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Views from Cock Lane bridge. Very quiet. The work force must either be working elsewhere or they have been given leave prior to working over the Christmas period:

20201222_134318.jpg

20201222_134321.jpg

20201222_134328.jpg

20201222_134347.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Crun said:

There's been a winter roost of Little Egrets in the Deeping Lakes Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust reserve for several years. Little Egrets and other egret species used to be limited to southern Europe but they have colonised the UK with global warming meaning they can thrive here all year round. It's the same for species like Spoonbills too.

Prior to the one in the garden my only regular sight of them had been on the River Nile.

Another common bird in Egypt that I'm expecting to see which was at one time unheard of is the Hoopoe, which has made home in the South of England. However I don't expect to see any Bee-Eaters anytime yet!

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Prior to the one in the garden my only regular sight of them had been on the River Nile.

Another common bird in Egypt that I'm expecting to see which was at one time unheard of is the Hoopoe, which has made home in the South of England. However I don't expect to see any Bee-Eaters anytime yet!

We get Hoopoes every summer here in The Charente, lovely to see and hear.

Jamie

3 hours ago, Crun said:

Views without the old water pipe:

20201222_141702.jpg

20201222_141709.jpg

20201222_141654.jpg

20201222_141702.jpg

Thanks for these photos.

That is quite an iconic local landmark gone forever.  It opens up this area for rail photography from the A15 bridge but no doubt some restrictive measures will soon be put in place to curtail that on safety grounds.

Edited by Donington Road

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Richard E said:

Just a couple of quick shots from me today from my walk earlier.

The view of the joint line has changed a bit since last week.

IMG_2051

IMG_1146

And the railings alongside the Up Stamford are being put in place on the top of the steel piles.

IMG_2050

And that is it, no one on site apart from the security staff.

I guess no one took my point that the pipeline has gone ...

• Friendly/supportive 1