East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2021 at 06:49, jamie92208 said:

This may have been covered before, but for less than £230 million couldn't they havecrebuilt March to Spalding.

Jamie

Line is completely built on at both ends. Housing in Spalding, and a prison in March. Plus I believe costs of approx £25m per mile would make it very expensive. It's nearly 20 miles, so c.£500m

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, blackpete said:

Line is completely built on at both ends. Housing in Spalding, and a prison in March. Plus I believe costs of approx £25m per mile would make it very expensive. It's nearly 20 miles, so c.£500m

Not straightforward either, It's across flat land with many previous level crossings and several water courses all of which would need new bridges.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Not straightforward either, It's across flat land with many previous level crossings and several water courses all of which would need new bridges.

Isn't there something about level crossings not being permitted on new lines or have I imagined that?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Isn't there something about level crossings not being permitted on new lines or have I imagined that?

I thought I had read that they were to be avoided.

Idon't know whether that means you could have one if...........

EDIT

Wikipedia says

The creation of new level crossings on the national network is banned (the exception being reopening unavoidable crossings on new/reopening railway lines, and on heritage railways),

No doubt someone will have the definitive answer

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some photos from today taken at Hurn Road by Trackside ECML.

The box is supposedly in place.  Unfortunately it cannot be seen from the Hurn Road or Cock Lane footbridges, but thankfully the aerial photos submitted to Twitter this week have been very well received.

I am sure NR/Morgan Sindall were very relieved that the forecasted rain never arrived in these parts.

DSC_0509.jpg.138b8febc610b2890ebc301fe43acd3a.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg.9580614c850185c69dc66a2d11addaa3.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg.617c822bdc7e0ef4d3dcdf0c4456409a.jpg

Anyone want a spare tunnel or two?

DSC_0510.jpg.f0c7817bf8dd5c5a390ca811efbfa797.jpg

Plenty more spoil to get rid of.

DSC_0511.jpg.08bb3821d18ab839ab46af98d8caabae.jpg

untitled.jpg.5d29cb623a4e9303798786a1d2e414cb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Any idea where it's all been going? 

I think a lot of the clay that was removed in the last few weeks from Hurn Road went to the King's Dyke bypass between Peterborough and Whittlesey.  The same company lorries were seen at both locations.  Where the new spoil will go I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think Twitter are a bit late to the party with this clip. :jester:

Box push animation:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1352347500468965376

Download for those who cannot see Twitter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mxr1rZ5MfzQTixqW0zk-N_zSje8DeCnT/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Donington Road
forgot text
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A short trip out again today.

Starting at Cock Lane footbridge the cable lorry has moved again as have the OHLE machines. I'm amazed the local pikeys haven't had the cable away. The up slow is in bidirectional use for trains to and from the joint line.

IMG-9757.jpg

A small gang were working to put up mesh 'debris screens' on the handrail alongside what will be the new alignment for the Up Stamford.

IMG-9758.jpg

And we can also see the earthing straps that are fitted to the OHLE conductor wires.

IMG-9759.jpg

Moving on to Hurn Road judging by the positioning of men and machines it looks as if they have already made good progress on the infill following confirmation at 08:30 today that the box was in place. Although out of shot the Kirow crane is still on site and a track panel lifting 'jig' was delivered whilst I was on the bridge.

IMG-0073.jpg

And looking north there is an OHLE crew visible in the middle distance, another earth strap can be seen on the left of the picture (out of focus). The low sun makes the ballast shoulder look really prominent here.

IMG-0074.jpg

And over at Lincoln Road they are trenching for the water main. Not terribly visible in this picture but it looks as if there is an old road surface about 18" or 2' down in the trench, seems really odd. It is much more noticeable in 'real life'.

IMG-9760.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

A small gang were working to put up mesh 'debris screens' on the handrail alongside what will be the new alignment for the Up Stamford.

IMG-9758.jpg

I cannot see why mesh is needed on that fencing.  As Trackside ECML said the other day, all it will do is attract wind blown litter.

And over at Lincoln Road they are trenching for the water main. Not terribly visible in this picture but it looks as if there is an old road surface about 18" or 2' down in the trench, seems really odd. It is much more noticeable in 'real life'.

IMG-9760.jpg

It is the old road surface before the bridge was rebuilt about six years ago.  The original bow arch bridge was raised and narrowed as part of the GN&GE upgrade.

I can't find a photo of the old bridge but your photo here shows the new brickwork and cast arch.

1158108594_hurnroad0205.jpg.cfdb0951efc05a0be197c2177c3ffeb1.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

I cannot see why mesh is needed on that fencing.  As Trackside ECML said the other day, all it will do is attract wind blown litter.

Could it be to stop ballast being 'flicked' by sleeper ends through the fence into the dive under ? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

It is the old road surface before the bridge was rebuilt about six years ago.  The original bow arch bridge was raised and narrowed as part of the GN&GE upgrade.

I can't find a photo of the old bridge but your photo here shows the new brickwork and cast arch.

I had no idea that they had rebuilt the bridge that recently, I'd assumed it was older than that though, obviously, not particularly old.

I had no idea that they had rebuilt the bridge that recently, I'd assumed it was older than that though, obviously, not particularly old.

It was part of the £280m 2012-2014 Black Carr Junction to Werrington Junction upgrade.

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-Industry-Focus-/gnge-completes-phase-four-of-five

The old bridge was like this one at Donington Road but without the arches either side.

2021-01-22donroad.jpg.26cad12c0fadb6c5adc1c21fb81e88c9.jpg

Screen grab from Hastings DMU trip Peterborough to Lincoln.

Well worth a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_gX8NxxLw

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3