East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

A bit off topic but this caught my eye and I couldn't get the link to appear in a message. I know they did surveys for wildlife and habitats before the dive under really got under way. This is something that my team at Natural England is involved in using aerial photography from drones we fly ourselves, aerial photography using surveying planes and satellite imagery.

Revolutionary technology used to develop thousands of miles of lineside biodiversity

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/revolutionary-technology-used-develop-thousands-miles-lineside-biodiversity

Edited by Crun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Crun said:

A bit off topic but this caught my eye and I couldn't get the link to appear in a message. I know they did surveys for wildlife and habitats before the dive under really got under way. This is something that my team at Natural England is involved in using aerial photography from drones we fly ourselves, aerial photography using surveying planes and satellite imagery.

Revolutionary technology used to develop thousands of miles of lineside biodiversity

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/revolutionary-technology-used-develop-thousands-miles-lineside-biodiversity

Here is a link to the biodiversity study by NR of the Werrington Upgrade.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_TO_2gg8f8-_FObNqNV-Bk21btnDLOK/view?usp=sharing

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

It was part of the £280m 2012-2014 Black Carr Junction to Werrington Junction upgrade.

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-Industry-Focus-/gnge-completes-phase-four-of-five

The old bridge was like this one at Donington Road but without the arches either side.

2021-01-22donroad.jpg.26cad12c0fadb6c5adc1c21fb81e88c9.jpg

Screen grab from Hastings DMU trip Peterborough to Lincoln.

Well worth a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_gX8NxxLw

Interesting video, thanks. I've travelled the line on board a 225 and an HST (twice) diverted from Doncaster via Gainsborough. Unfortunately all three journeys were in the dark.

• Like 1

Saturday 3rd January. Views from a bracing bike ride around Werrington Junction and beyond.

Hurn Road bridge:

20210123_103850.jpg

20210123_103919.jpg

20210123_104506.jpg

Cock Lane bridge:

20210123_135426.jpg

20210123_135608.jpg

20210123_135732.jpg

20210123_135313.jpg

20210123_140041.jpg

20210123_140315.jpg

20210123_140325.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 11

East Coast Upgrade on Twitter: "We’ve done it! We’ve successfully pushed our 155metre, 11,000tonne tunnel into position beneath the East Coast Main Line at #Werrington. This is a key stage in our #EastCoastUpgrade For the first time in ten months, the cutting where the tunnel was constructed lies empty. https://t.co/v6VP3d7gdV" / Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsbwLGTW4AExjff?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsbwLGcXEAk9ZBH?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsbwLGiXEAAq3hi?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Crun
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Richard E said:

I had no idea that they had rebuilt the bridge that recently, I'd assumed it was older than that though, obviously, not particularly old.

Bit of history here for you Richard, courtesy of bing maps which have not been updated for quite a while.

You can zoom in to a local street map then right click on the bing map and choose View bird's eye for this type of view.

First the original old A15 Lincoln Road bridge before it was rebuilt during the GN&GE upgrade 2012-2014.  It still shows the give way road markings (opposite the house) where the original Hurn Road junction was before the present day bypass was built.

154112077_oldA15lincolnroadbridge.jpg.97f335d83046e8135858ebb24a54cb2e.jpg

This is how the road layout changed before dual carraigeway A15 bypass was built.  The red line is the A15 Lincoln Road that went through Werrington, passed the Cock Inn, down over a humped back bridge over Werrington Brook, then skirted around a field passed where Apex Tyres are now and the old bulb factory then up to Mountsteven Avenue.

The new Werrington Parkway (A15) was built from Mountsteven Avenue to the roundabout in the bottom of the picture but only the eastern side carraigeway, the road was only two way traffic for quite a few years.  The other roundabouts inbetween were built at that time.  From the roundabout in the picture a temporary road was built to the old Lincoln Road bridge and the old Lincoln Road was closed to the new junction near the Crab & Winkle.  That short old stretch then became Davids Close.

The new dual carraigeway bridges were built and the second carraigeway installed from the Werrington Village roundabout to the one in the picture.

Source of info: my brain, but don't ask me any dates.:scratchhead:

linroad.jpg.f5dc05a2644ce8523e1540fdf5271544.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

7 minutes ago, 40F S & T said:

Hi   Good photos again.  Question  Is it short reason it has just cleared the main line but the new Stamford up line it has not covered it

1 minute ago, 40F S & T said:

Sorry it looks like I am looking at the wrong end.

What you see is the reception pit which gives the impression that it is short of the dive under ramp coming from the south when you look at the second photo.

I am sure this reception pit will be covered over in due course.  The Up Stamford line will pass to the left between the concrete wall and the Weldex crane.

image.png.30c62ee3e4bbe72a3a139cc6a35cd415.png

The reception pit is just in front of the Weldex crane.  From the south ramp where the steel girders are to the Weldex crane is an already completed tunnel

1697648052_diveunderboxaerial011.jpg.72998b11c45fbee31060eadc9b1952c5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

I have been fascinated by al the work put in by the contractors and many thanks to you all that went and took photos/videos and then spent time putting them up.

I do have a question (and it may well have already been answered earlier - if so I missed it): When all the trackwork has been placed in the tunnel and traffic starts making use of it and the slewed lines, what is going to happen to the chord, and the junction with the ECML? Will it be lifted and the main line junction replaced with plain track? If the answer is 'no', then why not?

As an outsider looking in, I would have said that spending all that money to create the tunnel and leave the junction would be .... well, silly.

Cheers,

Philip

5 minutes ago, Philou said:

I have been fascinated by al the work put in by the contractors and many thanks to you all that went and took photos/videos and then spent time putting them up.

I do have a question (and it may well have already been answered earlier - if so I missed it): When all the trackwork has been placed in the tunnel and traffic starts making use of it and the slewed lines, what is going to happen to the chord, and the junction with the ECML? Will it be lifted and the main line junction replaced with plain track? If the answer is 'no', then why not?

As an outsider looking in, I would have said that spending all that money to create the tunnel and leave the junction would be .... well, silly.

Cheers,

Philip

The junction with the main line will remain in place.  This will still be used for passenger traffic from Peterborough to access the Joint Line to Spalding and beyond.  Local frieght traffic from Peterborough yards may also still use the old junction.  It is not expected that there will be much traffic on the Down Fast that will use the Junction.

The main purpose of the tunnel is to move freight from west side of Peterborough to the east side without having to cross the main line as it does now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen the working arrangements for the bi-directional working over the Down Slow

All Southbound trains required to pre-heat (start diesels) at Newark

Must be routed onto Up Slow from Stoke Jnc.

GSMR berth triggered broadcast in Corby Glen area to perform MPCO electric to diesel

Lower pantograph sign in Up Cess on approach to P580 (north of Little Bytham). All pantographs must be lowered before this point.

Trains stopped at P542 (Tallington). A Green aspect with No.5 Junction Indicator ('feather') will be given to route onto the Down Slow. The No.4 J.I. (US > UF) has been removed from the signal

Is this unique? a signal with a No5 J.I.  (center right) but no No4 J.I. (top right)

A Fixed Distant Board is located prior to Lolham LC

P998, a 3 aspect right hand side signal prior to Maxey LC and adjacent to the protecting signals on UF / US routes trains through onto the Up Stamford

Trains requiring routing back via ECML to London;

Must received 1 yellow at P496, immediately after Werrington

P488, prior to Bretton, require a Main Aspect with either a No.1 J.I. for UF or a No.2 J.I. for US, via New England Ladder.

Trains to London via Cambridge;

P488, to continue on Up Stamford, Main Aspect only

To be routed into Platforms 4 or 5 at Peterborough

On arrival at Peterborough, and once doors are released;

Via Cambridge, drivers to ensure an APCO diesel to electric does not take place

Via ECML, drivers to perform a MPCO from diesel to electric

Edited by Ken.W
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

I've seen the working arrangements for the bi-directional working over the Down Slow

Must be routed onto Down Slow from Stoke Jnc.

Up Slow surely? As that's the route the trains are taking before crossing to the Down Slow at Tallington Jn.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

All Southbound trains required to pre-heat (start diesels) at Newark

Must be routed onto Down Slow from Stoke Jnc.

GSMR berth triggered broadcast in Corby Glen area to perform MPCO electric to diesel

Lower pantograph sign in Up Cess on approach to P580 (north of Little Bytham). All pantographs must be lowered before this point.

Trains stopped at P542 (Tallington). A Green aspect with No.5 Junction Indicator ('feather') will be given to route onto the Down Slow. The No.4 J.I. (US > UF) has been removed from the signal

Is this unique? a signal with a No5 J.I.  (center right) but no No4 J.I. (top right)

A Fixed Distant Board is located prior to Lolham LC

P998, a 3 aspect right hand side signal prior to Maxey LC and adjacent to the protecting signals on UF / US routes trains through onto the Up Stamford

Trains requiring routing back via ECML to London;

Must received 1 yellow at P496, immediately after Werrington

P488, prior to Bretton, require a Main Aspect with either a No.1 J.I. for UF or a No.2 J.I. for US, via New England Ladder.

Trains to London via Cambridge;

P488, to continue on Up Stamford, Main Aspect only

To be routed into Platforms 4 or 5 at Peterborough

On arrival at Peterborough, and once doors are released;

Via Cambridge, drivers to ensure an APCO diesel to electric does not take place

Via ECML, drivers to perform a MPCO from diesel to electric

Must be keeping Peterborough PSB busy 

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Excellent pictures from all contributors.

Looks like a job well done by Morgan Sindall/Network Rail

I'm just glad I went out yesterday on the bike to take my photo's!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Todays Twitter photos from the Upgrade team.

Narrative accompanying these is "Our teams at Werrington continue to work around the clock and are making great progress! After backfilling the new tunnel now that it’s in position, layers of sand and ballast have been laid and the first sections of track have been installed by crane."

EsgDxUVXUAEmjVb.jpeg.f1a61bb4f12a5bf141c4448baba89cce.jpeg

EsgDxUVXcAE2nMM.jpeg.a51034822d838b56f232fc1044db83d1.jpeg

EsgDxUVXUAIEiqr.jpeg.eacb17b3501738c7bfb616a96fe050a5.jpeg

EsgDxUUXAAAxgTc.jpeg.2a3682da98dffee39ae3ffff1af8c391.jpeg

• Like 14

Despite the weather, our #EastCoastUpgrade teams have continued to worked throughout the day at #Werrington to replace the track above our new tunnel, and lower the overhead wires back into position. The East Coast Main Line remains on schedule to re-open on Monday morning.

image.png.afe5e53dbd74680409d3b06d1fc8c227.pngimage.png.692a55698ca611b622afb187137348e9.pngimage.png.cdce8fa1b2ca94165a7f0caa6ea1d408.png

Edited by Crun
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2