East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

That implies that all traffic, including the passenger services, will use the Dive Under as platform 6 is on the western side of the station. It would seem illogical to continue to have Spalding traffic, albeit passenger instead of freight, still crossing the ladder across the ECML. Sounds intriguing.

The Spalding to Nottingham/Nottingham to Spalding service already uses platform 6 and would likely use the dive under.  Werrington Junction as it is now is staying which implies all passenger services on the Joint will continue to use platform 1.  Apart from the service mentioned all other services on the Joint to Spalding, Lincoln, Newark, and Doncaster terminate at Peterborough.  Any special, one off through service from the south either via the ECML or March would probably use the dive under to access the Joint should that be the route it takes.

If every Joint Line service was to use platform 6 then there would be too much congestion with all the cross country services.  If it is to be then NR had better start quadrupling the Stamford lines from Peterborough the Marholm Junction.:jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Trackside ECML has been out this morning to have a look at the new fencing being erected around Cock Lane footbridge.

Re-instating the original fence line from the access gate.

DSC_1198.jpg.b2e9b0d1a62600ceaede40c580ed3900.jpg

Around the end of the first ramp.

DSC_1201.jpg.c6a33895accf3178f75a98b07dc36d9e.jpg

Along the inner side the footbridge then back to the footpath.

DSC_1202.jpg.4ff2cd546da044d4fbd6621e30d81a1a.jpg

DSC_1204.jpg.3acad2d70babe53bde8cd9460751cbee.jpg

DSC_1207c.jpg.bf382ff9ef3044f53f3647971171620f.jpg

DSC_1209c.jpg.191395b1cd9ad3251e15aef23bee926f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, he was there a little before me!

I had a look late last week as well. I've not posted any from then but I am happy to do so if folk would like me to.

Starting at Lincoln Road they've made a right mess of the old road on the south of the joint line.

IMG-9834.jpg

Looking north over the bridges it now looks as if they are close to tidying it up prior to laying a new surface.

IMG-9835.jpg

The brickies are still hard at work on the bridge abutments.

IMG-9833.jpg

Indeed, there are two 'gangs', one on each side of the road.

IMG-9829.jpg

The sub-ballast is now up to the new bridge from the dive under.

IMG-9831.jpg

IMG-9830.jpg

And on the other side it is closing on the bridge as well.

IMG-9832.jpg

Then, over at Cock Lane, they were bolting the last few uprights into the new fence when I was there.

IMG-9837.jpg

IMG-9838.jpg

No action visible on the south ramp of the dive under today.

IMG-9839.jpg

And the Cherry pickers commented upon by Mick a couple of pages ago are still on site.

IMG-9840.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Ah, he was there a little before me!

I had a look late last week as well. I've not posted any from then but I am happy to do so if folk would like me to.

No action visible on the south ramp of the dive under today.

IMG-9839.jpg

And the Cherry pickers commented upon by Mick a couple of pages ago are still on site.

IMG-9840.jpg

Please post images of whatever you take.  As you have made the effort to go out and record events it would be a shame not to post them.:friends:

I see some progess on the dive under.

The drainage is being put in each side with a sand covering.

Then on the west side there has been sand put down and ballast being spread to tidy it all up.

The fencing at Cock Lane looks ok so far.  I just hope that something is done so it is kept tidy where the cherry pickers stand.  I'm sure that is Council land, before it was just a wilderness of trees and rubbish from the car repair places.  This old photo shows the fence line which is the one that has just been re-instated.

Also it looks like Armco fencing is being put up along the top of the embankment towards Glinton Junction in your 7th photo, thats a bit odd.

2021-03-09_20-26-21.jpg.97eab0e17b0ce873a37e0bc5f2a54dc8.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Please post images of whatever you take.  As you have made the effort to go out and record events it would be a shame not to post them.:friends:

I see some progess on the dive under.

The drainage is being put in each side with a sand covering.

Then on the west side there has been sand put down and ballast being spread to tidy it all up.

The fencing at Cock Lane looks ok so far.  I just hope that something is done so it is kept tidy where the cherry pickers stand.  I'm sure that is Council land, before it was just a wilderness of trees and rubbish from the car repair places.  This old photo shows the fence line which is the one that has just been re-instated.

Also it looks like Armco fencing is being put up along the top of the embankment towards Glinton Junction in your 7th photo, thats a bit odd.

2021-03-09_20-26-21.jpg.97eab0e17b0ce873a37e0bc5f2a54dc8.jpg

I guess if it is to be an access road it will stop any vehicles from going down the embankment onto the line

29 minutes ago, Shed said:

I guess if it is to be an access road it will stop any vehicles from going down the embankment onto the line

I think you are right.  Underneath all the muck at the top of the embankment is a tarmaced haul road.  That will probably be cleaned off and retained for access to Glinton Junction, hence the Armco.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Shed said:

These days it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to have armco along field boundaries ...

Edited by Richard E
rotten speeling!
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

And some from 4th March (Thursday).

These guys were on site, in fact there were two Pod-Trak vans there yesterday as well. They've taken to parking on Davids Close by the footpath access to the Lincoln Road bridges.

IMG-9816.jpg

Work ongoing on the telecoms cabling.

IMG-9817.jpg

And the track drains going in under the new Lincoln Road bridge.

IMG-9818.jpg

Brickwork going in between the new facing and the old bridge structure. It is quite substantial, around 13" thick I think and the old brickwork is cut back to give a relatively smooth interface. From personal experience with the type of brick they are using it is quite fragile in some circumstances and will, in places, spall quite badly within 20 years.

IMG-9819.jpg

Track drains going in on the last bit between Lincoln Road and Glinton Junction that hasn't already been done.

IMG-9820.jpg

This was sitting on the northern bit of Lincoln Road and it soon became apparent why - they were moving machinery off site, nice 'cherished' plate on the lorry. It's only 10 minutes between pictures and very noticeable how the cloud cover has changed in such a short time.

IMG-9821.jpg

IMG-9827.jpg

The sub base approaches Lincoln Road ...

IMG-9822.jpg

And the barrier layer is under the A15 prior to the sub-ballast being laid on top of it.

IMG-9823.jpg

Even at this stage the kit being used is substantial giving some idea of what the view might be of trains from the bridleway.

IMG-9824.jpg

A bit of site clearance before putting up scaffolding whilst working to tie in the new bridge abutment with the old one. The cutting back of the old brickwork can be seen quite clearly here.

IMG-9825.jpg

And on Lincoln Road, near the bridleway access gate they are digging yet another trench. Electricity cables this time. This trench had been opened up quite a bit around the cables by yesterday and was being dug towards the conduits laid across the bridges.

IMG-9826.jpg

And finally the compulsory look across the bridges, this time looking south.

IMG-9828.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

These days it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to have armco along field boundaries ...

That sounded funny to start with but it is actually quite thought provoking.

I bet it is or has been discussed already by railway authority.  A lot of farm machinery is now satellite guided.  It is only hands on when getting to the headland to turn and go back down the field.  A malfunction of the operator and the machinery will keep going.

Then what of the future when more robotic machinery will be working in the fields?

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Even at this stage the kit being used is substantial giving some idea of what the view might be of trains from the bridleway.

IMG-9824.jpg

I think that may well be wishful thinking Richard.  I am sure there will be more barriers put in place before it is finished.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

That sounded funny to start with but it is actually quite thought provoking.

I bet it is or has been discussed already by railway authority.  A lot of farm machinery is now satellite guided.  It is only hands on when getting to the headland to turn and go back down the field.  A malfunction of the operator and the machinery will keep going.

Then what of the future when more robotic machinery will be working in the fields?

I thought the best of them can actually work out the most efficient way of covering a field and drive it automatically.

What about a purely manual driven machine? The operator could fall ill just as it reaches the field boundary and the machine carry on and tumble down an embankment.

• Agree 2

After reminding Trackside ECML this morninrg that work was due to have started at Walton on the access to the west side of the Stamford lines he duly went out this afternoon in the wind and rain to report back for us.  That's dedication for you, so many thanks for that. :friends:

As it happens there was not much to see.  The barriers and fencing to divert the footpath were just being put in place at the time of his visit.

Some wooden mats had been put down next to the wall on the soft ground for the excavator to stand on.

DSC_1225.jpg.1eda19a65d99cf64b4dd148c589e137e.jpg

The inside and outside of the wall had been disc cut so it looks as though the small right hand side section is being retained.

DSC_1232.jpg.55ec5d835c30491f3e6f15adb7a6d784.jpg

A good stack of reinforcing mesh has been delivered trackside.  Presumably once all the paving slabs have been taken out streetside the mesh will be used to build a more substantial concrete access area.  There was a photo I posted of the entrance area back on page 89.

DSC_1226.jpg.9cc49746e9bd3ecbd2e81f23e411fd68.jpg

Shame Walton footbridge doen't look as nice as the Hull Trains

DSC_1230.jpg.1fc625eaf8b727fa3d8eaf2ca527f07f.jpg

Back at Cock Lane the last of the fencing has been tied in with the Werrington Brook fence.  We still wait to see what will happen to the east side of the footbridge area.DSC_1233.jpg.770eabef3a04f4c97b4ba175dc91cbb0.jpg

Out intrepid reporter said that is a much better view than the temporary mesh fencing that was there, although it is still rather cluttered with OHE posts and lineside rubbish for decent photos.

DSC_1236.jpg.aa8ab5cd2ff6dc0a89c3e0df454f1014.jpg

DSC_1241.jpg.59b1e96041efb2900112a7b68f443658.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some views of the north ramp of the dive under.

DSC_1256.jpg.5283389af0ba96cc53584ccea09d8346.jpg

DSC_1258.jpg.8ec75319c289b2ffb589ed851a06416b.jpg

Pallets of concrete trunking for the electrical work.

DSC_1259.jpg.94be2804732970110dc3b9008d2bfb17.jpg

DSC_1284.jpg.cf293aa45f87deee13123ab96e8c7cf2.jpg

DSC_1291.jpg.73b66437acba60744ce3b90f83a8f36c.jpg

The haul road has been cleaned up and levelled out on the west side.  The concrete lorries are now using this.

DSC_1276.jpg.2f01b62f742a431c591891a64601cf59.jpg

DSC_1287.jpg.b5b13868fc40a06ca52c3486d310690f.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Trackside ECML then made his way up to Lincoln Road.

Remember these nice new water signs and the re-instated verge and road surface done on the 25th February? 

1899587663_lincolnroad0226.jpg.67bfd240b03e5377f14ad50c5ae1901a.jpg

It now looks like this!

DSC_1297.jpg.87e1ca7a9aa130861ccc4fd44fd799e1.jpg

.....and those poor new signs have bit the dust!  So much for utility companies talking to each other and working togather.

DSC_1299.jpg.7812851bca0e2e7ec04867a2ea3529d1.jpg

The brick work is still being done joining the two bridge abutments together.

DSC_1320.jpg.7b729586c7ac820a37a4e9ccba00912b.jpg

DSC_1311.jpg.80e721f287a19cf72cb87864c50c531f.jpg

Nice sweeping view under the A15 bridge looking towards the dive under.

DSC_1314.jpg.fd0a2d501cfee5cdba69723f8b9f0e3e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Trackside ECML then made his way up to Lincoln Road.

Remember these nice new water signs and the re-instated verge and road surface done on the 25th February? 

1899587663_lincolnroad0226.jpg.67bfd240b03e5377f14ad50c5ae1901a.jpg

It now looks like this!

DSC_1297.jpg.87e1ca7a9aa130861ccc4fd44fd799e1.jpg

.....and those poor new signs have bit the dust!  So much for utility companies talking to each other and working togather.

No doubt we can all recall examples of "cooperation" between different utility groups.

My favourite is from back when I worked near Adderley park in Birmingham

A certain road had been due for re-surfacing and the time duly came.

They were doing a grand job removing the broken up top two or three inches and laying a nice new Tarmac finish,.

However when they were about threequarters way down the road, along came a utility company and starting from the finished end, dug a trench right down the middle of the road. You couldn't make it up.

Nearby a grotty pavement had had a nice new blockwork finish and, you've guessed it, a utility company dug a trench right along it, leaving behind a tar finshed strip. It was many years before the pavers were re-instated.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wonder when the land bridge between the cutting and the tunnel will go?

It can't be far away once the heavy equipment has finished using the access between the old and new lines.  I'm a bit surprised that a lightweight bridge is not being installed somewhere near that for future access.  Looking at aerial photos there does not look to be much room if any for the old access road that ran down the side of the Up Slow to the relay building.  There is hardly any distance between the end of dive under where the girders are and the Up Slow.

126744026_diveunderboxaerial005.jpg.ec212a11d536559d4f820388d6bc7db0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I wonder whether there could be a bridge over the girdered section?

Surely there will be access to the electronics cabinets?

There could be a walkway across the girders but they would not be strong enough for vehicular access they way they are bolted to the sides.

All I can see is a tight squeeze between the OHE post and the end of the girder.  Looking at the photo below it does suggest that the end of the dive under cutting has been angled which might accommondate such a senario or is that just a concrete wall to deflect any derailment on the Up Slow..

1995608007_diveunderboxaerial007c.jpg.5dda3c18fe746c058605d460a1ccc98f.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

There could be a walkway across the girders but they would not be strong enough for vehicular access they way they are bolted to the sides.

I was thinking more of a concrete slab bridge over where the girdered section is. Doesn't need to be too fancy.

Maybe there will be vehicular parking in the "V" between the two sets of tracks with foot access to the cabs for the techs with their kit?

Edited by melmerby

26 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I was thinking more of a concrete slab bridge over where the girdered section is. Doesn't need to be too fancy.

Maybe there will be vehicular parking in the "V" between the two sets of tracks with foot access to the cabs for the techs with their kit?

The construction of the girders are such that they are for longitudinal forces connecting the piles.  Putting a concrete slab on top of them would create vertical forces which they are not designed for.

The only NR access once the area has been handed over will be via the old track from Hurn Road footbridge which runs alongside the Up Slow.  Vans and very small lorries can use that but I can't imagine employees carrying their kit very far, even small lightweight toolboxes seem to sprout wheels on them these days, or as we have recently witnessed they use an excavator and bucket if there is one available!

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The construction of the girders are such that they are for longitudinal forces connecting the piles.  Putting a concrete slab on top of them would create vertical forces which they are not designed for.

The only NR access once the area has been handed over will be via the old track from Hurn Road footbridge which runs alongside the Up Slow.  Vans and very small lorries can use that but I can't imagine employees carrying their kit very far, even small lightweight toolboxes seem to sprout wheels on them these days, or as we have recently witnessed they use an excavator and bucket if there is one available!

The dirt track remains as far as the GSMR mast but the turning point there is now gone meaning you have to reverse the entire length at least once .

at present you then have walk in the cess to get to the relay room.

i do hope they reinstate vehicle access or at least the turning space when all the temporary fences come down