East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

I really cannot understand the need for all the fencing which is going in. Are they afraid of trains jumping over the side into the cutting? A good example of where Elf and Safety increases costs far above the benefit gained.

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I really cannot understand the need for all the fencing which is going in. Are they afraid of trains jumping over the side into the cutting? A good example of where Elf and Safety increases costs far above the benefit gained.

Jonathan

Wait until they really start on the pallisade fencing ...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

The fencing along the sides of the dive under is to protect any workers from falling into the lower ground.  There is still a lot of work to do on either side of the dive under (track laying/removal) where workmen will be in the close vacinity of the sides, and there will be maintenance to do far into the future, so the cost is quite irrelevant.  There is also the issue where trains may fail and people have to be evacuated.  In the dark of night, it's no good saving yourself by running away from a burning carraige only to fall over a cliff edge and getting squashed by a 66 in the dive under.  An extreme instance I know but these things are all risk assessed.

As for trains derailing and jumping over the sides, no fence will stop that.  That is why they have those large concrete deflection walls at Cock Lane footbridge and the Hurn Road/A15 bridges.  Obviously bridges are more important than trains jumping over a precipice. :crazy:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Just a handful from yesterday, there seems to be very little to see by way of change at the moment.

Starting at Cock Lane footbridge (which is closed this weekend) we have a couple of views looking south and north. Looking south most of the machinery has moved away. In the northerly shot there are a couple of the 'orange army' visible in the dive under approach ramp but that is about it.

IMG-9903.jpg

IMG-9904.jpg

Then moving over to Lincoln Road the cable trunking in the dive under ramp to Glinton Junction is progressing.

IMG-9905.jpg

I spent ages pondering how to get a view of what I wanted as a shot from the bridleway would have meant shoving a lens almost up the noses of the guys working on the railings for the steps. As it is I braved the A15 ...

It is just possible to make out the drainage runs filled with rock on the left hand side on the cutting face. Quite interesting in how they are built, a trench is cut, membrane inserted and filled with rock to about half the depth of the trench. The membrane is then folded over the rock fill and then rock used again to fill to surface level.

IMG-9906.jpg

IMG-0115.jpg

And from a different angle looking from the footbridge alongside Lincoln Road.

IMG-9908.jpg

Finally it has been a bit windy - the RAMS board is evidence of that.

IMG-9907.jpg

And that's it from me for now ...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I spent ages pondering how to get a view of what I wanted as a shot from the bridleway would have meant shoving a lens almost up the noses of the guys working on the railings for the steps. As it is I braved the A15 ...

It is just possible to make out the drainage runs filled with rock on the left hand side on the cutting face. Quite interesting in how they are built, a trench is cut, membrane inserted and filled with rock to about half the depth of the trench. The membrane is then folded over the rock fill and then rock used again to fill to surface level.

IMG-9906.jpg

IMG-0115.jpg

And from a different angle looking from the footbridge alongside Lincoln Road.

IMG-9908.jpg

I wonder why it was deemed nescessary to put so much drainage into the embankment on either side of the new bridge?

The embankment slopes away at the back and side so it is not as though it is going to be continually inundated with water.

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

I wonder why it was deemed nescessary to put so much drainage into the embankment on either side of the new bridge?

The embankment slopes away at the back and side so it is not as though it is going to be continually inundated with water.

The tunnel is below the water table there, isn't it? You would do anything to drain every drop off, to counter the rise from below ground along the line of route, at the wettest periods. As for inundation, I think we remember the whole worksite at that level being flooded not so long ago.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

The tunnel is below the water table there, isn't it? You would do anything to drain every drop off, to counter the rise from below ground along the line of route, at the wettest periods. As for inundation, I think we remember the whole worksite at that level being flooded not so long ago.

The box actually sits very close to an aquifer that is under considerable pressure - it has been said to me by an elderly local who used to work for the water company that there is enough pressure there to put a spout up to 30' from one of the drillings that was used to feed Werrington Troughs.

Indeed I believe the design of the area around the box has had to deal with a couple of natural springs which used to drain across the joint line at just below ground level, something not now possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

47 minutes ago, Richard E said:

The box actually sits very close to an aquifer that is under considerable pressure - it has been said to me by an elderly local who used to work for the water company that there is enough pressure there to put a spout up to 30' from one of the drillings that was used to feed Werrington Troughs.

Indeed I believe the design of the area around the box has had to deal with a couple of natural springs which used to drain across the joint line at just below ground level, something not now possible.

The tunnel is below the water table but this piece of embankment that I was referring to is not.  It is just the approach to build the road level to the Lincoln Road bridge.  The cutting that has been formed from the A15 bridge towards the tunnel does not have any drainage channels like that cut into the embankment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The tunnel is below the water table but this piece of embankment that I was referring to is not.  It is just the approach to build the road level to the Lincoln Road bridge.  The cutting that has been formed from the A15 bridge towards the tunnel does not have any drainage channels like that cut into the embankment.

I wonder if it is related to the water main that now runs across the bridges and which is vulnerable, potentially, to bursts. After all it didn't before and was at the base, roughly, of the original embankment previously. If there should be a burst on the bridge it could/would run down the embankment to track level and the idea is to try and prevent scouring damage if such a burst occurs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I wonder if it is related to the water main that now runs across the bridges and which is vulnerable, potentially, to bursts. After all it didn't before and was at the base, roughly, of the original embankment previously. If there should be a burst on the bridge it could/would run down the embankment to track level and the idea is to try and prevent scouring damage if such a burst occurs.

It could be the reason.  Obviously it has been designed for excess run off, probably a bit over engineered considering the closeness of each channel of riprap and the fact that the land behind slopes away from the embankment.  I could understand the embankments towards the tunnel being treated in such a manner as the land behind them is flat and any run off from there will go down the embankments to the trackside drainage system in the cess.  So, in my opinion it would make more sense to have those type of channels in that large expanse of embankment to prevent water scouring out the clay as it runs down the sides to track level.

A reminder. Cock Lane bridge is closed this weekend. I must try and use Hurn Road bridge and or the bridge closer to the city centre on my bike ride. I can't recall the name of this bridge.

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crun said:

A reminder. Cock Lane bridge is closed this weekend. I must try and use Hurn Road bridge and or the bridge closer to the city centre on my bike ride. I can't recall the name of this bridge.

Marholm Road footbridge I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been out today and spent some time at Lincoln Road putting the world to rights with an ex-Perkins chap called Mick.

Anyway moving on to the pictures I've taken.

To start looking south from Cock Lane footbridge rail has indeed been laid on the sleepers although I don't fancy the ride quality at present!

IMG-0118.jpg

And turning round to look north. It is quite evident that the reception pit has been covered and we now have ballast all the way along the final alignment.

IMG-0117.jpg

Moving across to Lincoln Road they have now put in some kerbs.

IMG-9911.jpg

IMG-9912.jpg

It also looks as if they have been doing some work to tie in the new and old parapets.

IMG-9913.jpg

Earthworks are ongoing with topsoil going in on the cutting sides.

IMG-9914.jpg

And under the Bailey Bridge too. Some large pipework for any groundwater here as well.

IMG-9915.jpg

And on the other side of the bridge the cutting sides are being built up.

IMG-9916.jpg

IMG-9917.jpg

That's it from me for now, stay safe and take care now that it is noticeably busier out there.

• Like 13

Nice photos from today Richard.  I was surprised you didn't comment on the alterations to the sides of the bridge span at Cock Lane since you took some photos from there over the new Up Stamford.  Perhaps it is so insignificant you didn't see it.  They have added an extra piece of plate raising the height.  It doesn't look much, perhaps 100mm.  That is all that was done at the weekend closure.

DSC_1955.jpg.ca42413e684c4d221201ec2082ef57dc.jpg

DSC_1954.jpg.57f252af431180a3ab00792c7656e094.jpg

DSC_1956.jpg.e76c880950d6fbd5cdb78d4c3a39683b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Nice photos from today Richard.  I was surprised you didn't comment on the alterations to the sides of the bridge span at Cock Lane since you took some photos from there over the new Up Stamford.  Perhaps it is so insignificant you didn't see it.  They have added an extra piece of plate raising the height.  It doesn't look much, perhaps 100mm.  That is all that was done at the weekend closure.

DSC_1955.jpg.ca42413e684c4d221201ec2082ef57dc.jpg

DSC_1954.jpg.57f252af431180a3ab00792c7656e094.jpg

DSC_1956.jpg.e76c880950d6fbd5cdb78d4c3a39683b.jpg

Looks like people might need steps to take photographs...

• Agree 1