East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I can see the logic but the notice seems to indicate it isn't happening that way. Once laid to the new alignment it would then merely be a case of cut and shut. And laying the new switch in June would mean clipping it out of use and possibly a TSR which would disrupt timetabling. As for the track circuiting and signalling needed with a switch clipped out of use there may be issues there as well.

We shall see in 7 weeks time won't we ...

Reading the notice, it shows a complete closure invluding the ECML in June. That would suggest that all the points and signalling will be installed then and tested with just the dive under lines to connect up to pre existing points in July.  Whatever, it will all come out in the wash or if it floods in The Wash.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Reading the notice, it shows a complete closure invluding the ECML in June. That would suggest that all the points and signalling will be installed then and tested with just the dive under lines to connect up to pre existing points in July.  Whatever, it will all come out in the wash or if it floods in The Wash.

Jamie

Good point, hadn't really thought about it that way.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2021 at 09:56, Richard E said:

I can see the logic but the notice seems to indicate it isn't happening that way. Once laid to the new alignment it would then merely be a case of cut and shut. And laying the new switch in June would mean clipping it out of use and possibly a TSR which would disrupt timetabling. As for the track circuiting and signalling needed with a switch clipped out of use there may be issues there as well.

We shall see in 7 weeks time won't we ...

Modern standards dictate that you must NOT install pointwork and leave it clipped up for an extended period of time (more than 6 months IIRC) - particularly if it is not linked into the signalling system and you have no fail-safe should something go wring and the points become unclipped for whatever reason.

(Edit - I believe this restriction is the result of the Grayrig accident which although involving a full commissioned and interlocked crossover, demonstrated only too clearly what could happen if a set of C&P points moved without some form of detection / interlocking to put signals to red).

If its unavoidable and the point has to be put in place then the switch rails must be removed and plain line be installed through the tips (which means new baseplates and disconnection of the operating mechanism so is not a quick or indeed desirable exercise).

At Werrington, given there will need to be alterations to track circuits ans suchlike it thus makes perfect sense to defer the point installation until the time when the signalling changes can be implemented and the new dive under is close to completion.

It also will hopefully prevent undue wear on only one of the routes through the points - too much going in one direction can easily shorten the lifespan of the switch rails / crossing as the rail profiles become mismatched.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 40F S & T said:

Hi  May I ask why was the points installed on the joint line?

No idea - but as long as they are in operated into the signalling system in some way* before 6 months is up then it’s fine.

*which could be something along the lines of  having point detection cut into the track circuit across them as a temporary measure - I.e. the points open up slightly and the track circuit fails

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Quick trip out this afternoon to capture all the action.:pilot::boredom::jester:

Nothing going on at Walton, no body working or machinery about.  The concrete slab has been laid and some fencing put up alongside.  New concrete capping has been cast over the access manhole to Brook Drain at the entrance to the concrete slab.

IMG_7801c.jpg.c1b2599f7f0f758500a7888447ba8050.jpg

IMG_7802c.jpg.ca81161ffce4318e2ad2b54845340a59.jpg

IMG_7804c.jpg.a88d713714307277acd4e004bf065a43.jpg

The old concrete lamp post with defunct lamp that once lit the way for Marholm Road level crossing still resides within the cess.  The crossing was closed and removed mid nineteen seventies.

IMG_7798c.jpg.acdc227458bd46232781ea794b3df6d7.jpg

Looking towards Cock Lane I saw quite a few of the orange army in the down ramp, so I went off to investigate and get some action on camera.

IMG_7809c.jpg.303aaf8c9529c63856973ec04dcd5972.jpg

They were fixing some brackets to the sheet piling for a telephone box.  There were only four people when I got there, the other three that I counted from Walton must have gone off to get the box to hang on the brackets. :scratchhead:

IMG_7822c.jpg.2f29f88463fd90f521e3e4612a87be85.jpg

After all that excitement it was time to have a look at the fencing around the east side of Cock Lane footbridge.

The footpath approach with lap fencing on the left screening part of Dukesmead Mobile Home Park and the corral fencing on the right in the leadup to the footbridge.

IMG_7815c.jpg.903a87598542a5dd7854d2c5fb22672d.jpg

At the end of the lap fencing we have Werrington Brook with a length of discarded rail on the bank.  How on earth it ended up there so far from the railway is a mystery, especially as it is covering ground that was opened up a few months ago to install an outfall into Werrington Brook for all the drainage off the new footbridge.  There has been ample time and resources to remove it before all the fencing was put up.  No doubt the local 'yoof' will be flexing their muscles and dumping it in the Brook.

IMG_7816c.jpg.4192ce57520574fc3926b264815703e4.jpg

IMG_7819c.jpg.860fc7e9c9c40684d89977b5684f5466.jpg

The wooden fencing around the corral which has no entrance gate.

IMG_7817c.jpg.e4f9e33a0112dbc6c9401f6413a1c4af.jpg

IMG_7818c.jpg.65398587334b45929d9476c067184369.jpg

IMG_7812c.jpg.fa9d6050a439b977bf48db6b921b6e39.jpg

• Like 13

I am not sure what is happening with the land bridge across the cutting at Hurn Road.  The dozer had stripped away some of the top and it was being taken away.  There were still vehicles on the left side of the cutting, notably cement lorries so it may be a token gesture removing just part of the landbridge.  It was scheduled to be removed at the beginning of May.

There is a lot of concrete cable troughs in the cutting waiting to be installed.

It was just a quick visit with no one available to speak to, although I did hear that the Lincoln Road bridge will be getting its road surface tarmaced on Monday.

IMG_7843c.jpg.5fa920d25fe2dbcab7326c65ad1846a2.jpg

IMG_7842c.jpg.e1778c95c0e12134e341df279efd6dcd.jpg

At Foxcovert Road, a rear view of the new signal which has been installed ready to control the Up Joint at Glinton Junction for access to the dive under.

IMG_7847c.jpg.753505d3b02e9a35bdbea61f587e0fa9.jpg

• Like 11

The cross beams / braces are being removed from inside the box and the final bit of shot Crete is being applied to the piles in the launch cutting.

on the other end, the reception pit is being made ready for the base with the final bit of demolition taking place at the face of the box.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

Not really worth starting anew thread for it - but as of today Kings Cross PSB is no more! 

https://hydeparknow.uk/2021/04/23/kings-cross-power-signabox-closes/

Over the past 6 months or so the area formerly signalled by Kings Cross has gradually been re-controlled (the telecoms links to individual relay rooms changed that is) to the ROC in York - although unlike previous re-controls I know of the lineside signals mostly retain their K prefixes so its not been that obvious anything has been going on. The exception is the immediate approach to kings Cross where a new layout is being installed and the signals will get YA prefixes.

Kings Cross Screenshot 2021-04-24 042039.png

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I was out yesterday after my second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine and took these pictures.

At Cock Lane they have finished removing offices and we are left with a smaller block.

IMG_0143

The spoil heap is shrinking - on this side the loads are going out sheeted and the lorries are going through a wheel wash before leaving site.

IMG_0140

Moving over to Lincoln Road/A15 as Mick has said the road looks ready for surfacing, indeed there is a road roller on site now. It's just visible on the right.

IMG_9927

They are certifying the Bailey Bridge weekly apparently, I've not seen this notice before though.

IMG_9928

Pallisade fencing is going up on the Werrington side of the bridges tying in with the old fencing that had been left in place.

IMG_9925

Spoil was going out here too. A mix of sheeted and unsheeted loads. Contractors seem to be mainly local from Stamford and Kettering. Here we can see an unsheeted load and lorries entering the site too.

IMG_9924

The ballast sub-base is now complete under Lincoln Road. We can also see why the cutting side wasn't compacted - it is being netted with what looks like a coarse hessian net. It suggests to me that they may be soil nailing it as well to hold it all in place. The excavator in the third photo tried climbing the cutting side whilst I was there and had the tracked vehicle equivalent of wheelspin - tracks going round but no forward movement at all.

IMG_9922

IMG_9919

IMG_9921

IMG_9920

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Seem to be going to a lot of trouble preparing that sliver of land between the Stamford lines & the dive under.

It's almost as there is going to be a track there but there isn't.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Seem to be going to a lot of trouble preparing that sliver of land between the Stamford lines & the dive under.

It's almost as there is going to be a track there but there isn't.

Apart from ballast being laid on the sand it has been made up the same as any other trackbed.

Over time I expect it will just become another buddleia forest.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2020 at 13:20, Crun said:

CGI film of King's Cross post work undertaken during the Christmas Holiday and other periods:

Film of work on Kings Cross in March and April 2021:

• Like 3