East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Friday 7th May. Don't fence me in... Views from temporary Lincoln Road footbridge, looking towards Werrington:

20210507_112632.jpg

20210507_112703.jpg

20210507_112825.jpg

20210507_112833.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 7

Views from Hurn Road bridge. Looking South East. Soil is going, going, gone...

20210507_113522.jpg

20210507_113545.jpg

Looking south:

20210507_113710.jpg

20210507_113717.jpg

20210507_113734.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Posted on Twitter today.

EDIT: I don't know how old these photos are, the second photo shows a short pipe across the entrance at the top of the dive under.  When I made the video last week the whole of this pipe has been installed around the site.  It is the diversion pipe for Werrington Drain.

E0u4-AYWQAEm0Uv.jpg.037b3253e40379a50fafec7fb9095ab6.jpg

E0u4-AbXMAAe4AL.jpg.275edf612bb292eb8cd8bd7b42ac3bd0.jpg

E0u4-AeWQAAq7km.jpg.80e14dc378818d69ae051c510a64580b.jpg

I walked through the tunnel this morning and the shot Creet is just about finished.

the level of the floor is now up to the height of the concrete walkway on the left of the last picture 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Took a quick look at Lincoln Road between rain showers earlier.

The offices that used to be at Lincoln Road had disappeared by this time last week.

IMG_9932

The hessian surfacing of the cutting side has continued beyond the Lincoln Road bridges. Some work going on around the drains, ballast was being tipped a little later on to surround the drains. Mentioning the bridges there are two panels of fencing, one each side of the road, that have not been completed yet and are merely filled with the crowd control type barriers at present.

IMG_9935

And there is work going on around the land bridge/siphons in the centre of the site. The dumper in the first picture is also see facing us in the second one ...

IMG_0152

IMG_0153

I was surprised at how much vehicle use of the trackbase has shifted the ballast and created ruts.

IMG_9936

I suspect that there will be very little visible progress now until the Bailey bridge is removed and when track laying commences.

Edited by Richard E
added another picture/comment
  • Like 10

Brilliant footage - many thanks. Just goes to show how busy that stretch of line is. I wonder where those 4 x 91's (or were they DVT's?) were going?

At least one liner train, whilst crossing over to the Joint, held up an LNER service - those are cracking trains by the way....................... too soon?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Brilliant footage - many thanks. Just goes to show how busy that stretch of line is. I wonder where those 4 x 91's (or were they DVT's?) were going?

At least one liner train, whilst crossing over to the Joint, held up an LNER service - those are cracking trains by the way....................... too soon?

Might the 91s be the ones destined for scrapping at Sims in Newport?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Might the 91s be the ones destined for scrapping at Sims in Newport?

Yes those are they, there were some photos of the on the Hitachi thread last night. A bit ironic as the 91 set is in service today.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/04/2021 at 17:01, melmerby said:

Why did they remove one of the platforms?

I know a lot of the outer suburban services now use St. P. Thameslink but surely KX could still use all it had?

Only just seen this - sorry. They could not use all the platforms they had, because several of them were too short for many trains (8 cars max), and several of the main line platforms were marginal for 9 car Mark IV sets, let alone the longest Azuma sets. The remodelling allows all platforms to be lengthened, and this required removal of Platform 11. This allows a much greater increase in capacity overall, apparently - many 8 car GN sets can be increased to 12 car, for a start - and greater flexibility in operation for all services.

Remember, until the addition of Platform 0 some 10 years ago, Kings X only had 11 platforms, since the 1970's.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Thanks for watching Mike.

The four 91's where going from Doncaster to Sims Metal at Newport, South Wales for scrapping.

If you watch any videos on RMweb, sometimes it is better to click the 'Watch on Youtube' button, there you will usually get a description of what the video is about plus you may comment and also give it a like/dislike too which is something you cannot do by just watching them on RMweb.:good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2021 at 17:18, Mike Storey said:

Remember, until the addition of Platform 0 some 10 years ago, Kings X only had 11 platforms, since the 1970's.

Actually once the 1970s remodelling was complete Kings Cross only had 10 platforms - what became platform 11 was lifted as  not required at the time only to be reinstated a decade later in the mid 1980s by NSE as outer suburban usage increased.  That was followed by platform zero in Network Rail days giving 12 platforms in total until the most recent remodelling started which has knocked it back to 11.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Crun said:

Thursday 13th May. More sleepers by the day. Views south from Hurn Road bridge:

20210513_124922.jpg

20210513_125022.jpg

20210513_125339.jpg

20210513_125350.jpg

20210513_125414.jpg

Looks quite a sharp transition curve off the new line into the existing (realigned) Joint line. Or is the lens exaggerating it?

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures from yesterday.

Starting at Lincoln Road the tarmac work including the footpath has now been completed. The only issue I can see is that the bridge parapet on the old bridge seems quite low so may need extending to match the pallisade fence.

IMG-9937.jpg

As has all the fencing with the gap that was there last week now filled. You can see here that the pallisade fencing and the parapet of the new bridge is the same height.

IMG-9938.jpg

Moving on to Hurn Road footbridge the track that used to run down to the relay room is still there and looks to be in good condition.

IMG-0157.jpg

I noticed this valve manifold assembly by the dive under from the footbridge.

IMG-0155.jpg

The spoil heaps have almost gone from this side.

IMG-9939.jpg

However there are some heaps of rubble about waiting to be dealt with.

IMG-9940.jpg

I know we had a very similar image from Crun but I couldn't help adding my own version.

IMG-0154.jpg

Whilst here I also saw this example of a prototype for everything scene.

IMG-0156.jpg

And finally moving to Cock Lane I got these.

The big pile of ballast that was in the entry to the dive under has gone being spread along the trackbed into the 'tunnel'.

IMG-0159.jpg

Looking south the accommodation crossing for access to the dive under from the Trading Estate is still there but, apart from that, it looks ready to accept the new track.

IMG-0160.jpg

The spoil the other side is still very much in evidence.

IMG-0158.jpg

Finally, and not surprisingly, the wooden rail fence is already a casualty of the local 'youff' mob.

IMG-0161.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Some pictures from yesterday.

Starting at Lincoln Road the tarmac work including the footpath has now been completed. The only issue I can see is that the bridge parapet on the old bridge seems quite low so may need extending to match the pallisade fence.

IMG-9937.jpg

As has all the fencing with the gap that was there last week now filled. You can see here that the pallisade fencing and the parapet of the new bridge is the same height.

IMG-9938.jpg

Moving on to Hurn Road footbridge the track that used to run down to the relay room is still there and looks to be in good condition.

IMG-0157.jpg

I noticed this valve manifold assembly by the dive under from the footbridge.

IMG-0155.jpg

The spoil heaps have almost gone from this side.

IMG-9939.jpg

However there are some heaps of rubble about waiting to be dealt with.

IMG-9940.jpg

I know we had a very similar image from Crun but I couldn't help adding my own version.

IMG-0154.jpg

Whilst here I also saw this example of a prototype for everything scene.

IMG-0156.jpg

And finally moving to Cock Lane I got these.

The big pile of ballast that was in the entry to the dive under has gone being spread along the trackbed into the 'tunnel'.

IMG-0159.jpg

Looking south the accommodation crossing for access to the dive under from the Trading Estate is still there but, apart from that, it looks ready to accept the new track.

IMG-0160.jpg

The spoil the other side is still very much in evidence.

IMG-0158.jpg

Finally, and not surprisingly, the wooden rail fence is already a casualty of the local 'youff' mob.

IMG-0161.jpg

Spot the rabbit lounging on the track to the old relay room! Thanks for the set of photographs Richard. Still cold out with drizzle threatening...

Edited by Crun