East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Quick visit to Lincoln Road to see what is going on with removing the bridge.

The dozer is all chained up to the end of the bridge ready to pull it off the plinths but there was a lot of discussion going on about how much more the bridge needed jacking up.  It was going to be a few hours yet before any movement and it may still be in the process of being removed during daylight hours tomorrow.  The dozer driver hadn't turned up for work so that may delay it even further.  Too dark to get any more photos and with a big rat running along nearby it was time to head home.

IMG_8317c.jpg.4e0a1e4646fa9b671384d649d549a7d2.jpg

IMG_8316c.jpg.369e0ba09f7477f93eb13b025ab9ab55.jpg

IMG_8322c.jpg.44bcb9ece9e54089480ece24b22581e5.jpg

IMG_8329c.jpg.87c0da61ab2ca8d615c1ad37013b9211.jpg

IMG_8335cJPG.jpg.018a3c8c67a24319de9d4b99759db5a3.jpg

Hurn Road footpath by candle light.

IMG_8331c.jpg.b52e0dee3ba3b476d9f044fb0ffdbb55.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A few from me today.

The signal on the temporary up Stamford has gone already.

IMG-0002.jpg

A lonely looking soul but he is actually by the AWS ramp so, presumably, carrying out checks as the signalling is altered in the area.

IMG-0003.jpg

And checks on the TPWS ramp it seems.

IMG-0004.jpg

Protective rails going in around the phone box on the new up Stamford.

IMG-0005.jpg

And a view from Marholm Road footbridge. It seems the down line junction isn't going in this weekend. Presumably it would need an FPL if it did.

IMG-0502.jpg

Looking south from Hurn Road bridge it looks good to go on the up line. Down line is blocked with odd bits and pieces though.

IMG-0503.jpg

Another lonely soul by an AWS ramp, north of Hurn Road footbridge here.

IMG-0504.jpg

He has some colleagues working in one of the junction boxes.

IMG-9987.jpg

Some vegetation clearance going on on the eastern side of the main line at Hurn Road.

IMG-9986.jpg

The fence that was between the ECML and the Midland lines is being removed too.

IMG-9988.jpg

And this is the view east from  Lincoln Road today.

IMG-9982.jpg

The bridge is now partly in the compound.

IMG-9984.jpg

IMG-9985.jpg

It is being dismantled, I reckon they need lesson from the Royal Engineers on doing it at speed though.

IMG-9990.jpg

IMG-9998.jpg

Sorry for the quality on this one, it shows the bridge is almost clear of the dive under trackbed too.

IMG-0001.jpg

This is the company concerned.

IMG-9992.jpg

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I really appreciate the time taken to photograph and upload these updates from the regular contributors, I sped by on a down Azuma 2 weekends ago, and even though I knew what was coming hardly saw a thing!

:good_mini:

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

A few from me today.

Looks as though I have been following you around this morning but didn't see you. :friends:

And a view from Marholm Road footbridge. It seems the down line junction isn't going in this weekend. Presumably it would need an FPL if it did.

IMG-0502.jpg

New permanent speed limit signs either side.

And a temporary speed limit at Hurn Road, which seems rather slow.

Lots of blue crates next to the Up Stamford containing new track clips, way past Hurn Road footbridge to the north as well

IMG_8358c.jpg.f66aa3d268053a0a7b95a396a02bc7ae.jpg

And this is the view east from  Lincoln Road today.

IMG-9982.jpg

The signal has a new number P867 and is now under the control of Peterborough PSB.  Previously it was WS7005  (WS = Werrington to Sleaford) and was under the control of Lincoln.

72071122_2020-0759c.jpg.b378418a67ecb91021e1834cbc3c05e2.jpg

Doing a bit of maintenance on it this morning.

IMG_8363c.jpg.6a2dd0496966011e4894ed66a95ea309.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

I really appreciate the time taken to photograph and upload these updates from the regular contributors, I sped by on a down Azuma 2 weekends ago, and even though I knew what was coming hardly saw a thing!

We all got up early to give you a wave, Dave. :friends:

...and you didn't see us :cry:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I really appreciate the time taken to photograph and upload these updates from the regular contributors,

Seconded.

It's the first page that I look at on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

One of the comments on the twitter feed re the signalling engineer wearing a face mask:

"Why is he wearing a muzzle?"

Where has the idiot been for the last 18 months?

Or is he trying to make a (very poor) joke?

Another comment following a request as to what the dive under is for:

"What is dive under for - just east coast inter city or freight to avoid Peterborough.":(

Sigh.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Where has the idiot been for the last 18 months?

Or is he trying to make a (very poor) joke?

A friend of mine always says only twits tweet which is proved to be accurate in this case. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, russ p said:

"proper railwaymen as opposed to motorway contractors "

Harsh and slight offensive to those of us that actually do work on the railways and highways!!  Having to engineer a project around a live and very busy railway line is extremely tough and requires huge effort and expertise both in terms of planning and work, there is nothing substandard about it whatever. 

It is a testament to the way we work now, particularly on the railways, that rail engineering is a very safe industry.  The working practices during the ECML electrification work will shock most these days when compared to todays methods and equipment used.

There are a lot of reasons why things are done in a particular order and to a set program in engineering, but to the lay-person this can appear confusing, odd and even questionable.

As an aside, the line appears to have a 20mph speed limit on is (if you look at the photo), so any track alignment issue (if there is one) has been considered by applying such a slow speed limit.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jaggzuk said:

Harsh and slight offensive to those of us that actually do work on the railways and highways!!  Having to engineer a project around a live and very busy railway line is extremely tough and requires huge effort and expertise both in terms of planning and work, there is nothing substandard about it whatever. 

It is a testament to the way we work now, particularly on the railways, that rail engineering is a very safe industry.  The working practices during the ECML electrification work will shock most these days when compared to todays methods and equipment used.

There are a lot of reasons why things are done in a particular order and to a set program in engineering, but to the lay-person this can appear confusing, odd and even questionable.

As an aside, the line appears to have a 20mph speed limit on is (if you look at the photo), so any track alignment issue (if there is one) has been considered by applying such a slow speed limit.

I wasn't meant for to be offensive.  But in the late BR days much more was achieved in possessions that is done now.

And as someone who works in possessions sometimes  there are people who work on roads as well as railways 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chris p bacon said:

This comment from you does not surprise me. Some time ago you described drivers with less (perceived)  experience as yourself as "Boil in the Bag"  a very derogatory term in the industry.

It would be preferable if you kept your condecending opinions on others to yourself.

Boil in the bag was a term used by most drivers industry wide for post 88 men . It was always in good humor 

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, russ p said:

5 hours ago,  chris p bacon said: 

This comment from you does not surprise me. Some time ago you described drivers with less (perceived)  experience as yourself as "Boil in the Bag"  a very derogatory term in the industry.

It would be preferable if you kept your condecending opinions on others to yourself.

Boil in the bag was a term used by most drivers industry wide for post 88 men . It was always in good humor 

I note my post gets removed but the reply doesn't.

The term "boil in the bag" was deemed a highly offensive and partisan term by drivers and their union and is frowned upon. Just because those that use it think it is humorous, doesn't make it funny.  

What is turning out to be the usual moderation here deletes a complining reply post, but leaves the insulting one in place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

The term "boil in the bag" was deemed a highly offensive and partisan term by drivers and their union and is frowned upon. Just because those that use it think it is humorous, doesn't make it funny.  

Having worked in the industry for two almost two decades, its become abundantly clear that however good and wonderful the training is - its only when you start doing the job do you really start the learning process.

As a someone on one of the Channel 5 shows said "Every day on the Railway is a school day" and they were not kidding. Be it train driving trains, signalling them, first line infrastructure faulting or even working in possessions all the training in the world can only take you so far, what really makes you a excellent railway worker is when you have a decent length of experience under your belt to go with all that theory.

Regrettably the way the corporate world is these days, there can be far too much focus on training over experience - which can be dangerous as it leads to people being overconfident in their abilities and making mistakes that a more expensed person would not.

Hence my take on the expression you find offensive (and not doubting the fact it is for some) is that its not a personal reflection on the driver as a person - its rather targeting the cooperate culture which a lot of the time doesn't pay proper respect to the role of experience in making somebody truly proficient in their given role.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1